Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

generally speaking 6mos of expenses is typical but if your money's in the market with a high percentage in stocks then I know of a few who keep 3-5yrs worth of expenses in CDs etc.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

congrats! always nice to see someone pull a johnny paycheck
Old 11-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats. My wife and I set off in a RV 4 years ago at the same age with a little lower 401K balance and a little higher taxable account (but it is two of us).

Why do you ever want to buy a house again? Renting is more freedom and with some of the high markets, it is a cheaper option IMO. You already have the freedom of the RV...just drive to a new area, get a Driver's license there, apply for ACA at any time of year (because you are moving) and rent for a year, fully exploring the area. See Maine, Texas, Florida, Washington (skip California).

Use your house fund + taxable to live on while converting $25,000 of the 401K to the Roth. This way you will be eligible for super ACA silver plan subsidy with cheese (cost sharing) or if you so choose, a bronze plan. You could have healthcare for a couple for $90 a month with a $500 max OOP.

Think of it like this...the Roth could be your house fund if it turns out you need it. Since you can pull rollover contributions out of the Roth tax and penalty free after they have been in there 5 years, in 8 or 9 years you will have built back up your house fund inside your Roth. If you never buy a house, you can either let it grow or start using it for income.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Why do you ever want to buy a house again? Renting is more freedom and with some of the high markets, it is a cheaper option IMO. You already have the freedom of the RV...just drive to a new area, get a Driver's license there, apply for ACA at any time of year (because you are moving) and rent for a year, fully exploring the area. See Maine, Texas, Florida, Washington (skip California).

Use your house fund + taxable to live on while converting $25,000 of the 401K to the Roth. This way you will be eligible for super ACA silver plan subsidy with cheese (cost sharing) or if you so choose, a bronze plan. You could have healthcare for a couple for $90 a month with a $500 max OOP.

Think of it like this...the Roth could be your house fund if it turns out you need it. Since you can pull rollover contributions out of the Roth tax and penalty free after they have been in there 5 years, in 8 or 9 years you will have built back up your house fund inside your Roth. If you never buy a house, you can either let it grow or start using it for income.
Fermion, This is a good idea. We don't see ourselves travelling indefinitely. I have strong and deep roots in Cincinnati (LCOL area) and we eventually see living with a few hours of the area. We can rent, but in Cincinnati it is generally cheaper to own. It's the timing uncertainty that gives me pause. If I knew it would be 9 years, I'd have a plan for that. I like your ideas.
Grimelowe is offline   Reply With Quote