Join Early Retirement Today

Baanista is glad to be here
Old 06-28-2002, 06:09 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Baanista is glad to be here

I am really proud of Dory36 for putting this board up. *Back when we were wondering what would happen if the Fool's boards tanked I had thought that a nice, open source board was the way to go. *Thank you Dory36 for taking the big step. *Please let us now if you need a hand with it.

Mr & Mrs Baanista sort of backed into early retirement. *Not so much by accident since it was the result of reflex thrift and saving, but we certainly hadn't been doing all that saving while dreaming of retirement. *We were simply cheap and saved early and often.

A few years ago it dawned on me that, gee, we could maybe chuck it all, move to somewhere like Costa Rica and eek out a living on our savings. *A fun dream and far more possible than winning the lottery, but not likely to fly with Mrs B. *Still, an antidote to the increasingly frequent, This JOB S**KS mornings. *I did a few internet searches and found Intercst's web site, even made a post or two on his pre-Fool board. *I followed the Motley Fool board faithfully until they decided to charge. *Of course it was pretty hard to keep up with it at the end.

Eventually I managed to wangle us an expat gig. *We spent a couple years in The Netherlands and England trying to install Baan ERP software, hence the moniker Baanista. *

When we returned to the US in early 2000, we had no jobs waiting, no great desire to find any, and enough stashed away that maybe we won't ever have to look seriously for one. *We returned to the Texas Hill Country community that Mrs. Baanista grew up in and have been seriously nesting since then as we recover from our years constantly traveling about on business.

Recently we have been doing the odd consulting gig, putzing about with computers for small business types. *No big bucks yet, but then again, not too much time wasted at it either. *Turns out to be rather entertaining to do a little bit of work. *Hopefully it doesn't turn into something like a job. <grin>

We both are enjoying life a lot more these days. *I am still not sure that we have enough to stay out of the rat race permanently, but we can at least manage a long hiatus. *

No regrets yet,

Baanista
baanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Baanista is glad to be here
Old 06-29-2002, 01:29 AM   #2
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
...Please let us now if you need a hand with it...
Baanista
Thanks for the kind words, and the offer of help!

One sizeable bit of work I haven't gotten to is putting together some FAQs for that section. So if anyone wants to compose (or cobble together from other sources) any FAQ type stuff, those would be great in the FAQ section.

Dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 08:13 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

dory36 writes,

Thanks for the kind words, and the offer of help!

One sizeable bit of work I haven't gotten to is putting together some FAQs for that section. So if anyone wants to compose (or cobble together from other sources) any FAQ type stuff, those would be great in the FAQ section.
--------------------------------------
I've copied the FAQ from the TMF board to the REHP web site. You can either link to that or use it as a starting basis for an improved FAQ for this board, see link:

http://rehphome.tripod.com/rehpfaq.html

intercst
Old 07-02-2002, 04:26 PM   #4
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
I've copied the FAQ from the TMF board to the REHP web site. You can either link to that or use it as a starting basis for an improved FAQ for this board...
intercst
Thanks -- For the time being, I've copied most of that into the FAQ section. I may edit/revise some later, but days are filled with the annual maintenance on the boat.

How is it that I'm working harder after retirement than I did for years before retirement?

Dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 06:29 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for bringing the FAQ over Dory36. I was half afraid I might be responsible for it since the subject came up in a thread I started. I have been trying to shed responsibility since I retired but I have noticed them starting to sneak back.

As far as working harder in retirement, I have found it easier to work hard when you don't have the assistance of a supervisor and a human resources department.

Regards,

Baanista
baanista is offline   Reply With Quote