Berdie here

Berdie

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi. I am here for social support. I live with my great partner in two beautiful places. Beautiful but isolated. Happy but lonely. Lucky but adjusting. Long story short: I need friends.

So I would take it you are FIRE and living life in some rural places. I think you have the world by the tail! Lol I wish you the best in a social life and here is a great start.

Welcome!

Hi. I am here for social support. I live with my great partner in two beautiful places. Beautiful but isolated. Happy but lonely. Lucky but adjusting. Long story short: I need friends.
Welcome to the forum. Tell us a little about yourself? Are you retired or thinking about it?

Welcome Berdie! Can you elaborate on why the 2 places were chosen that are so isolated?

How we're isolated

Our place in AR is about a 35 minute drive to the nearest tiny town with only a Walmart. Another 15 minutes past that gets us to a medium-sized town with more amenities. These are rather arduous driving miles though because they're in the Ozarks.

Our place in IL is about 40 minutes to the nearest medium-sized town.

Both towns have no real culture, just retail stores, etc... so they're not a draw other than for provisions. Both properties are two hours from the nearest city and airport.

I am assuming that there are some personal reasons (either yours or your partners) that resulted in living in the two (relatively) isolated locations?

Any chance you could sell one of them, and buy in a larger town? For example, sell the place in IL, buy a place in Champaign-Urbana. College town, mid sized, lots of culture via the university, variety of restaurants and peoples. Fairly centrally located and not much more than a 2-3 hour drive to anywhere else in the state.

You could then be relatively close to your previous IL location (at least closer than AR)

We both owned our separate places before we met. They're both fantastic and affordable because they're so far from culture. I agree, Champagne-Urbana is a pretty nice town. We're tossing around ideas, but it's hard to give up such beautiful places. Neither meet our social needs, both meet our needs for nature and privacy. Until we decide to move (or not), I need some social interaction, so thanks for responding!

Good ideas. These beautiful places are unique, but yes, we're lonely for a little company. Until we decide what to do, I have needed to reach out for some social interaction and support.

The HAL ship Rotterdam sails from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona March 30.......VTG has a base price for an oceanview cabin of $492 p.p.

Or, same day, the Westerdam from Ft. Lauderdale to Civitavecchia...same price.

Meet people, send postcards.

Welcome Berdie, there are interesting posts here to read, good food for thought!

Our place in AR is about a 35 minute drive to the nearest tiny town with only a Walmart. Another 15 minutes past that gets us to a medium-sized town with more amenities. These are rather arduous driving miles though because they're in the Ozarks.

Our place in IL is about 40 minutes to the nearest medium-sized town.

Both towns have no real culture, just retail stores, etc... so they're not a draw other than for provisions. Both properties are two hours from the nearest city and airport.

What? No culture? Didn't you say there is a Walmart?

Welcome. We live in a rural area in the summer (though not as rural as the places you describe) and a mid-sized city in the winter. Luckily, both places have very active social scenes... in fact, we're hosting 10 friends for a pot luck supper tonight.

I think you need to consider moving... no sense being miserable during the best period of your life. Have you checked out Find Your Spot?

Welcome Berdie.

We need to know more about you to help if that is why you are here.

We know people that are retired with two places: One in WI and AR and the other in MN and MI. Both acknowledge that they are not ideal now they are not working. Getting away from it all no longer works when you don't!

So what do you want?

I think you need to consider moving... no sense being miserable during the best period of your life.
I agree. Having one rural retreat to spend part of your time at makes sense, but having two - and no urban or suburban base, with its associated amenities - seems a bit pointless.

This forum and others are helpful, but no substitute for real human interaction and genuine friendships.

Berdie,

Just think how much better off you will be than most when the zombies apocalypse starts.

Back
Top Bottom