Join Early Retirement Today

Birdie Num Nums Taking the Plunge
Old 03-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Birdie Num Nums Taking the Plunge

Well, hello dere! I have had this new job for about a year now, and I just can't stand it anymore. So I have decided, at age 55, to take the plunge and go into a "soft" retirement in two months. Since I am new here, I'd rather not divulge what I have in my nest egg, but just wanted to say "hi."
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You'll fit in well here.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #3

I like your user name. Very cute. Welcome. Are you a bird lover?
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I like your user name. Very cute. Welcome. Are you a bird lover?
Google my user name (one of my ).
Old 03-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #5

BTW: Wanna know one of the first things I hope to enjoy about my forthcoming early retirement? It's breakfasts! Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I enjoy all variations: bacon and eggs (whether over-easy, scrambled--with ketchup, or hard-boiled), ham and eggs, hash browns for sure, biscuits and southern-style gravy, corned beef hash, blueberry-pancakes (preferably the hard-to-find sourdough variety), sausage links; or "lumpy" Cream-of-Wheat, rolled oats, Shredded Wheat, other kinds of dried cereal; coffee, orange, grapefruit or tomato juice; and the list goes on. But, although I enjoy a lingering and satisfying, for all the many years I have been going to work (over 30 years now), I rarely have such a meal each morning. It's been more like Dagwood Bumstead, as he quickly eats a piece of toast and takes a couple gulps of coffee as he heads out the door (and knocks down the postman).

I am so looking forward to a leisurely breakfast, as I bask in the morning eastern sun.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #6

Welcome, now you'll have time to find out "what is this game you play with a multitude of coloured balls?". Enjoy.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Hi there, Birdie Num Num.

Oh no! Now that phrase is going to stick in my head for the next few days.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #8

Hi Birdie,
I'm from Seattle too. Pleased to meet you!
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
Administrator

Hi Birdie. I love Peter Sellers - have you ever been to England to sample the humour first hand?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Ah The Party! Gunga Din The Enduring, Resurgent, Unstoppable, Unkillable - Din!!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
BTW: Wanna know one of the first things I hope to enjoy about my forthcoming early retirement? It's breakfasts! Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I enjoy all variations: bacon and eggs (whether over-easy, scrambled--with ketchup, or hard-boiled), ham and eggs, hash browns for sure, biscuits and southern-style gravy, corned beef hash, blueberry-pancakes (preferably the hard-to-find sourdough variety), sausage links; or "lumpy" Cream-of-Wheat, rolled oats, Shredded Wheat, other kinds of dried cereal; coffee, orange, grapefruit or tomato juice; and the list goes on. But, although I enjoy a lingering and satisfying, for all the many years I have been going to work (over 30 years now), I rarely have such a meal each morning. It's been more like Dagwood Bumstead, as he quickly eats a piece of toast and takes a couple gulps of coffee as he heads out the door (and knocks down the postman).

I am so looking forward to a leisurely breakfast, as I bask in the morning eastern sun.
Ya, that's what I said. Then...impaired glucose tolerance. Oh well. Welcome to the group, Birdie.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Hi Birdie Num Nums. Welcome to the forum. I recognized the reference to "The Party" with Peter Sellers right away. Thought DW and I were the only ones who ever used that phrase "Birdie Num Nums". We both rolled on the floor laughing during the whole movie. Only met one other person who had ever seen it and recalled the phrase. Clearly (IMHO) the second best movie Peter Sellers ever did (after "A Shot in the Dark").

Hope you hang around. Once in a while, we need a little levity here and just seeing your name made me chuckle.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the forum
I've heard "Num Nums" used in a completely different context, so your post title was like a magnet drawing iron filings.
I've never seen that Peter Sellers movie. The title is "The Party", correct ? I plan to put it on my Netflix queue.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I've never seen that Peter Sellers movie. The title is "The Party", correct ? I plan to put it on my Netflix queue.
Yup. The Party directed by Blake Edwards (who else). Enjoy!!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Hi Birdie. I love Peter Sellers - have you ever been to England to sample the humour first hand?
Yes, Alan, I have. I spent 6 weeks in parts of Europe the summer of 1981--went to many places. I spent a couple of days in Liverpool (after having taken a long ferry ride from LaHavre to Dublin over to Liverpool). Then about a week in London (visited Abbey Road and lots of other places). And I was even in the crowd below the Buckingham Palace balcony with that large crowd celebrating Chuck and Di's wedding day. I also went to Herrod's, I think it was, and got to meet some of the members of Monty Python who signed for me a copy of their screenplay to their then-new movie "Time Bandits." I'd like to go back during my forthcoming retirement.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I have wonderful memories of going to see The Party when I was 18 with a boy who was crazy in love with me.

I hated the movie--I didn't acquire a taste for Peter Sellers until Being There and then he was gone . I'll have to give The Party another try--I wonder how it's held up.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Yes, Alan, I have. I spent 6 weeks in parts of Europe the summer of 1981--went to many places. I spent a couple of days in Liverpool (after having taken a long ferry ride from LaHavre to Dublin over to Liverpool). Then about a week in London (visited Abbey Road and lots of other places). And I was even in the crowd below the Buckingham Palace balcony with that large crowd celebrating Chuck and Di's wedding day. I also went to Herrod's, I think it was, and got to meet some of the members of Monty Python who signed for me a copy of their screenplay to their then-new movie "Time Bandits." I'd like to go back during my forthcoming retirement.
Glad to hear that you enjoyed you enjoyed your visit to jolly 'ole England. The world famous store you mentioned is Harrods

I remember the day of Charles and Di's wedding very well. DW's brother was visiting us and we really had little interest in the wedding. It was a beautiful day and we were living in N. Yorkshire so we packed a picnic, I put our 4 month old daughter in the baby carrier on my back and we hiked up Roseberry Topping - about a 45 minute walk from our house.

When we got to the top we discovered a bunch of other hikers with radios, wine and champagne so we listened to the wedding and celebrated with the other revelers before walking back. (is there a law about being over the limit while hiking with a baby on your back I wonder? - sort of HWI)
Old 04-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I just got done watching The Party. That was excellent!
I recognized several stars who were really young when that was filmed. The waiter was a perfect pair up for Sellers' character in the dinner table scene.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #19

Glad you enjoyed this little-known, and seldom-shown, gem.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:13 AM   #20

I loved Peter Sellers work. If you ever get a chance to listen to "The Goon Show" radio programs with Sellers and Spike Milligan do it. CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.) radio used to play it in the early 60s.