Blow the dough before pulling the plug?

The decision was made to stay, don’t agonize over what is in the past. Treat your self to the upgrades. Approach your work everyday knowing you are FI and should you decide to leave, you still can (even paying insurance). Frankly, this current assignment/role will better help you navigate the retirement decision with confidence in the future. Enjoy the journey!

Thank you everyone for your kind words and wisdom advices. The decision was made and can't change now. I have set my date in 2024 at the latest with the count down clock next to my bed to remind me everyday.

I am setting my plans for the next few years:
1) Define activities to fulfill my time in retirement and try them out
2) Buy some toys I always want
3) Continue to grow my NW
4) Build 3-bucket portfolio
5) Work only things I like to do knowing I have option I don't need to work

How will you feel, looking back years from now, if you never gave yourself the chance to enjoy that sports car and truck? The convertible sports car, especially, is something people tend to age out of. (And if you move to Florida, forget it - there's no place to drive it properly).

What kind of car did you want? It does not have to be that expensive. Mr. A. and I gave ourselves a Toyota MR2 as a wedding gift. It cost about $15K in 1986, so maybe $45K in today's money for something equivalent. Boy, did we have fun with that car. We also bought a tiny Ford Ranger pickup as our second vehicle, and got good use out of it for about 10 years. Unless you want a Porsche and a Tesla Cybertruck, I bet you could get away with $75K for a decent car and truck.

A

At this point, I am thinking of treating myself a couple toys I always want but never have: a proper convertible sport car and a day-to-day truck. This could easily blow $100K BUT cannot break my saving habit... What do you think?

How will you feel, looking back years from now, if you never gave yourself the chance to enjoy that sports car and truck? The convertible sports car, especially, is something people tend to age out of. (And if you move to Florida, forget it - there's no place to drive it properly).

What kind of car did you want? It does not have to be that expensive. Mr. A. and I gave ourselves a Toyota MR2 as a wedding gift. It cost about $15K in 1986, so maybe $45K in today's money for something equivalent. Boy, did we have fun with that car. We also bought a tiny Ford Ranger pickup as our second vehicle, and got good use out of it for about 10 years. Unless you want a Porsche and a Tesla Cybertruck, I bet you could get away with $75K for a decent car and truck.

That's exactly what I am thinking. We tend to age out of things. So now is a good time for me.

Sport cars contenders not in order of preference: AMG, Corvette Stingray mid-engine, BMW M4, I like Shelby 350 but no convertible!..
Truck doesn't need to look so cool: I want mid-size truck with good smooth ride, reliable and I don't hall too much stuff so there are not many out there - maybe Ridgeline, Tacoma or Ranger

I don't agree with LarryMelman's comment that the majority of people on this site hated their jobs. I don't feel that is an accurate representation of this forums mindset.

I don't agree with LarryMelman's comment that the majority of people on this site hated their jobs. I don't feel that is an accurate representation of this forums mindset.

Yes, it's misunderstanding our members. We have all sorts here.

In my case, I loved my job, thought 98% of the people I w*rked with were wonderful, and was very proud of my accomplishments. There are plenty here like me.

In my case, I loved my job, thought 98% of the people I w*rked with were wonderful, and was very proud of my accomplishments. There are plenty here like me.

Same here: great job, great people, great salary. My life was good...... it's even better FIREd though. :cool:

I bought a 150K boat when I was at 2.5M I bought a 180K Porsche @ 3.5M and if I get to 5M then it will be a 200K Ferrari 458 Italia. I retired late 2019 at the age of 50.

Last edited:

Attachments

• targa.jpg
    targa.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 45
Yep, 6 speed manual

Nice!!! This would be nice rides for the weekends...

Still think I can't afford it as I still have 3 kids to go to college so I tame down my temptation for now! :) I would be happy with a Corvette and a beat up pick up truck to have fun with... :)

I retired from the Navy in 2017, and I too always wanted a convertible sports car. I finally bought brand new Fiat 124 Spider last year. What a blast to drive! It's a great second car for me, alongside my daily driver, a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer. The Spider was inexpensive, and well worth every penny! I have 3 kids still at home, with the oldest just finishing her college applications. I say don't wait, you can afford a toy for yourself!

Last edited:
A year past by since my last post on my retirement moving target. Just turned the big 50, NW reached $6M ...
I stopped reading right there. Congratulations. Seems you should be able to do whatever the heck you want.

Last edited:
the toys....after 40 years of riding motorcycles all over the us--41 states--i traded up for sports cars. the 2 miata's i owned were the most smiles per miles PER DOLLAR I have ever had. and then came the vette! verts are not for everyone, but if you are a vert guy, best to find out now and enjoy driving instead of riding.

Attachments

• 8 (26).jpg
    8 (26).jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 115 (3).jpg
    115 (3).jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20180907_150247.jpg
    20180907_150247.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 42
the toys....after 40 years of riding motorcycles all over the us--41 states--i traded up for sports cars. the 2 miata's i owned were the most smiles per miles PER DOLLAR I have ever had. and then came the vette! verts are not for everyone, but if you are a vert guy, best to find out now and enjoy driving instead of riding.

Wow, that's nice. Loving it. Give me more comments on the Vette... I like to Miata too but I like more power...

I did not make that point for the purposes of starting an argument. So please don't misunderstand.

However, I didn't (and still don't) think that it's even remotely debatable. The fact that many people refuse to spell out the words "work" and "job" being easy evidence.

I simply wanted to encourage the OP to consider that it's OK to continue working, or even take a test-ER and return to work as I did, if he enjoys it. That opinion is voiced here rarely, if ever. There's much more to it than being past your "number".

Wow, that's nice. Loving it. Give me more comments on the Vette... I like to Miata too but I like more power...
getting gthe vette was the worst, and the best decision i have ever made. with a miata, there was ground clearance and i could literally pull off the road. it took the place of my bike, so it was used for camping---all over the usa. no complaints ofd any kind with either of my miatas. the vette was a whim purchase. it draws attention--not wanted! it puts a smile on my face every time a 4 year old child stops and points at it.
every time i hit the button in the cold garage, that BARK it makes is awsome. the power is great if you are into power. TESLAS jump me at the light, but a few seconds later, i'm long past them in triple digits. each and every time i get in the car, is a fun time. there are no errands that must be run. all are opportunities to go out and ride. the patrolman said my wife and i should be dead after hitting the deer. $25k repair....the only problem with a vette is you can't go back. my next vette with be the new mid engine in about a year. the red miata, we camped all over the va mountains a few times for 10 days at a time. same with the black one, except we also drove the black one to colorado for 29 nights , camping every night. the vette had it's required 600 mile 'breakin' in one week when we left for a camping trip to West Va. we visited all my motorcycle roads in the Seneca Rocks area, camped every night too. came home after 9 days with 3700 miles. being retired with no life to speak of, the vette keeps me going.

Attachments

• 10 (2).jpg
    10 (2).jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 185 (2).jpg
    185 (2).jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20180907_150242.jpg
    20180907_150242.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20181121_223136.jpg
    20181121_223136.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 1 (25).jpg
    1 (25).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190717_190036.jpg
    20190717_190036.jpg
    501.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I did not make that point for the purposes of starting an argument. So please don't misunderstand.

However, I didn't (and still don't) think that it's even remotely debatable. The fact that many people refuse to spell out the words "work" and "job" being easy evidence.

I simply wanted to encourage the OP to consider that it's OK to continue working, or even take a test-ER and return to work as I did, if he enjoys it. That opinion is voiced here rarely, if ever. There's much more to it than being past your "number".

LOL you're making this up...I'm not misunderstanding the makeup of this board. For every poster that disliked or "hated" their job you'll find 9 that realize grownups have to work to pay their bills and work is neither good nor bad it's something everyone has to do. How long you do it is a personal thing driven by many factors. But hate isn't first on the list.

A year past by since my last post on my retirement moving target. Just turned the big 50, NW reached $6M by end of 2020 no debts - BUT still got cold feet pulling the plug now.

My mega corp offered a volunteer separated package at the end of 2020 with 1.5 years pay AND I am eligible for retiree medical plan. I was seriously considering taking the package and call the day (NW was at $6M by year end). I was very close to press the button but after I talked to a few close coworkers I DIDN'T TAKE IT! :facepalm:

Thought that there would be still something in there for me to hang on for a little bit longer until my youngest one attends college (2024). I got a promotion with a new position. However, the new organization is a mess PLUS I am going to report to the same guy I worked for a few years back who I hated from my gut and told myself never worked under that guy again!! :mad:. Never say never right... :facepalm:

So, here I am, continue working for 3-4 more years and hope for another golden handshake OR maybe the guy I report to will make my decision easier!!

At this point, I am thinking of treating myself a couple toys I always want but never have: a proper convertible sport car and a day-to-day truck. This could easily blow $100K BUT cannot break my saving habit... What do you think?

Why not lease them for now?

You could then treat the next few years as an extended test drive & decide if you really want to own both (buying new models, of course) at the end of the lease term.

Cost would be a whole lot less than $100k.

A year after moving to Nevada (and working half-time online), I bought a Silverado 4x4 to get us to trailheads on very rough roads. I figured if I waited until now when I was fully retired, I wouldn't be willing to blow the dough.
I was wrong since we put in solar panels last year and bought a Bolt, although I was still half-working (the gig ended last May).
Now I may sell the Silverado to my son the winemaker and buy a plug-in hybrid with all-wheel drive since all the city miles can come off the solar panels.

Back
Top Bottom