Join Early Retirement Today

Bucket List "round two" ....
Old 10-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Bucket List "round two" ....

Greetings! I am a 57 year old male with a DW for 35 years and recently retired from a 35 year career as an engineer with a multi-national company. I am finally getting my #%€£ together as I fell into some bad habits.

During the recovery pros I have experienced an urge to "re do" my bucket list. Tomorrow I will jump from an airplane @ 13,000 feet non-attached to anyone, there is a total eclipse on August 21, 2017, and I making plans to hike up Mt. Killamgero.

Looking for partners in crime and other thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
jj1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats and enjoy the dive! My only one was when I was 19, but I think I'd like to do it again sometime (though, for the record, I prefer actual diving lol).

I think I may be inspired to come up with a bucket list of what I'd like to do once I get to FIRE now..... I just hope it doesn't result in too much cost making me postpone!
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:58 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did one jump, 3,000 feet, static line, in 1978...landed in a rutted field, tore a tendon. It'd be amazing to do 13,000 feet...but I ain't doing it....good luck!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:45 AM   #4

Sounds too much like work. I'm retired.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck on the jump today! I did a 3000 ft static line jump in 1977 - it was something I'll never forget.

Your plans for the eclipse hike sound like fun, too.

Keep us posted!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Did one jump, 3,000 feet, static line, in 1978...landed in a rutted field, tore a tendon.
So often the most unpleasant experiences make the best stories!

To the OP, I wish you luck in your retirement adventures so you can post about them here for us to enjoy vicariously.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I did a tandem jump out of a plane for my first time to celebrate my 55th birthday a few weeks ago (14,000 feet). Absolutely loved the experience and happy not to have to be responsible for much as my tandem partner took care of the flying details. Have fun!

Where are you going since we're in the same area? Come join me on the flying trapeze to add to your bucket list!
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
So often the most unpleasant experiences make the best stories!
And here's the boring story in its (almost) entirety:

- Had the basic training one weekend, then it was too windy for beginners to jump.

- Returned the following Sunday.....sat around most of the day because it was still too windy......watched the 'pros' overshoot because of the wind, (one landed atop a minivan in the parking lot).

- We finally get the call....I have the shortest line and am designated as first out. Up in the air we get the word that there's another plane in the vicinity, so we circle for five minutes.

- Finally jump.....we had a one-way radio attached to the harness so that the ground jumpmaster can give instruction.....heard him say "OK number 2 (I'm number 1), if you're not going to listen to me you're on your own".....I'm thinking "What about number 1?"

- Then I hear a guy on a CB radio telling his buddy he has a case of beer, and to meet at his place.

- So, with no instruction, I figure independent action is required, and start 'crabbing' so I don't end up in the parking lot.

- Instead I landed in a newly plowed, rutted, farmer's field! Wind's blowing, I initially thought I might have broken my leg, and the chute's dragging me.

- Later I asked a friend if the ground 'jumpmaster' said anything about number 1.....he replied "Yes, he said you were doing great".

- Oh, the irony.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:35 PM   #9

Wow!

My three jumps went okay. Canopy opened (duh?)
Had line twist on #3 but trading resolved issue.

Land on my #%€ so a bit sore.

Three more tomorrow!

Old 10-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #10

Forgot to say location. We live in Phoenix AZ and drop zone is @ Eloy, about 30 miles south.
Thanks!
Jake