Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

California writer longs for autumn
Old 09-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

California writer longs for autumn

Hello from smoky Los Angeles. I'm not retiring as early as a lot of folks here, so I'm telling myself that "early" is a state of mind. I'm living in my sequestered pandemic house on a hill, just me and my two dogs and my rose garden, working remotely in the entertainment business. I intend to retire from that in March or April, and get back to writing books -- preferably in the Berkshires, or maybe Vermont, or the Lac Brome area of Canada. (I occasionally fantasize about Scotland and Ireland as well, but then ask myself if I want to leave all my friends and learn to drive on the left. Which for me means, "Learn to stress on the left and fear killing someone every single minute.")

Wherever I end up, I'm hoping for a greenhouse, two chickens, and shady, leafy places to walk the dogs. I can't tell you how much I look forward to what I call "the ordering of my days" -- the right to go back to bed if I feel tired, to rearrange my schedule as I please! To be "time-rich." In a place where the trees actually turn color, and where I can sit by the fire in December and feel cozy.

That's the dream, and I thought I'd get there sooner, but I will not bore you with my bad financial decisions. I am, frankly, pretty naive as an investor, but I hope by hanging out with you folks some of it will rub off. The rubbing will have to happen quickly, as I'm 64, and the scope for growth is limited.

I have various chronic illnesses (none serious) but I'm aware of the potential for health issues and am eager not to waste any more time. (In fact, I just posted a question about LTC in the health forum.)

I've probably run FIRECALC a few hundred times over the past couple of years, and that's made a difference in taking my future seriously -- in fact, it's why I kept working a bit longer than I'd planned.

...My dog Harry is staring at me and making sad sounds, so I'd better give him some attention. He's 17 and has earned his place of honor in the house.

Hello to everyone! I look forward to learning.
Among_Primates is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello and welcome. Never too late to learn.

It’s funny how you yearn for the changing leaves and me on the east coast is thinking how the warmth of Cali would be Great with the upcoming summer. House swap?! Haha.
Retireby45ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:26 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome aboard!

Hope you're able to escape smoky Cal. soon.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #4

Wow, good boy Harry to have made it to 17. Give him a scootch under the chin for me!
Old 09-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retireby45ish View Post
Hello and welcome. Never too late to learn.

It’s funny how you yearn for the changing leaves and me on the east coast is thinking how the warmth of Cali would be Great with the upcoming summer. House swap?! Haha.
Oh, we’re plenty warm, all right.

Are you pet friendly?
Old 09-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm I might need to wait for the smoke to clear first. Ha! Good luck to those dealing with the fires out there. Stay safe.
Retireby45ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hello fellow Californian. Welcome.

Before retirement in May I was working in SoCal in the mess called DTLA and flying back north on the weekends to regain sanity at my serene piece of the Sierra Nevada mountains in far Northern California.

Hope your journey into retirement is smooth and you land somewhere where you can pursue your passions.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:12 AM   #8

Welcome.
As someone who lives in Southwestern NH I can appreciate the longing for the leaf colors.
September and early October is my favorite time to be here. Cool nights (high 40's ) warm days in the 70's and no humidity.
We also love winter and wood stove season
Hopefully you are familiar with the length of those seasons and don't over romanticize them.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good luck in your upcoming change of life.

There are many, many great places to live between California and the East Coast.

We've been retired 12 years, and long ago found "Golden Pond" in an ultra low COL place. And we've got a 6 mile open water sunset view out our front door. Wouldn't take anything for the experiences we've had.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Finnski1, I hope so too! I do ask myself, as I take the dogs out at night, "How happy will you be putting on coat, boots, and scarf every time you do this?" But New England is far closer to my dream climate than California, though I've learned to love a lot about this place.

Bamaman, your place sounds idyllic!

For the last several years I've been thinking about where to move, looking at the real estate market, etc. My three non-negotiables are: (1) fall leaf color, (2) some snow, (3) within 15 minutes of a hospital. Zillow regularly sends me suggestions of spots in NH and Vermont, and I go onto Google and check out the hospital distance before I fall in love. Wherever I go, I want to stay there a long, long time, and as they say, "age in place."

Ashville, NC was on the short list for a while, but I had the impression snow was a rarity. Amazingly beautiful, though. I could sit and gaze at the Blue Ridge all day.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My sister hangs her hat 75 miles north of Asheville in Banner Elk, NC. That's close to Boone, and an absolutely lovely place at 5000-6000' elevation. Highest ski mountains in the East are there too.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Among_Primates View Post
Finnski1, I hope so too! I do ask myself, as I take the dogs out at night, "How happy will you be putting on coat, boots, and scarf every time you do this?" But New England is far closer to my dream climate than California, though I've learned to love a lot about this place.

For the last several years I've been thinking about where to move, looking at the real estate market, etc. My three non-negotiables are: (1) fall leaf color, (2) some snow, (3) within 15 minutes of a hospital. Zillow regularly sends me suggestions of spots in NH and Vermont, and I go onto Google and check out the hospital distance before I fall in love. Wherever I go, I want to stay there a long, long time, and as they say, "age in place."

Ashville, NC was on the short list for a while, but I had the impression snow was a rarity. Amazingly beautiful, though. I could sit and gaze at the Blue Ridge all day.

39 deg here this morning but clear and heading to 75 mid day.
Fired up the wood stove to take the(62 deg) chill out of the house. Usually let it go out in a few hours but it feels awful nice at 6:30 in the morning. Dog is happy it's cool in and out but he'll have to put up with the wood stove
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200915_083941 resized.jpg (134.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20200915_084116 resized.jpg (100.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-15-2020, 01:34 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hello from smoky Los Angeles. I'm not retiring as early as a lot of folks here, so I'm telling myself that "early" is a state of mind. I'm living in my sequestered pandemic house on a hill, just me and my two dogs and my rose garden, working remotely in the entertainment business. I intend to retire from that in March or April, and get back to writing books -- preferably in the Berkshires, or maybe Vermont, or the Lac Brome area of Canada. (I occasionally fantasize about Scotland and Ireland as well, but then ask myself if I want to leave all my friends and learn to drive on the left. Which for me means, "Learn to stress on the left and fear killing someone every single minute.")

Wherever I end up, I'm hoping for a greenhouse, two chickens, and shady, leafy places to walk the dogs. I can't tell you how much I look forward to what I call "the ordering of my days" -- the right to go back to bed if I feel tired, to rearrange my schedule as I please! To be "time-rich." In a place where the trees actually turn color, and where I can sit by the fire in December and feel cozy.

That's the dream, and I thought I'd get there sooner, but I will not bore you with my bad financial decisions. I am, frankly, pretty naive as an investor, but I hope by hanging out with you folks some of it will rub off. The rubbing will have to happen quickly, as I'm 64, and the scope for growth is limited.

I have various chronic illnesses (none serious) but I'm aware of the potential for health issues and am eager not to waste any more time. (In fact, I just posted a question about LTC in the health forum.)

I've probably run FIRECALC a few hundred times over the past couple of years, and that's made a difference in taking my future seriously -- in fact, it's why I kept working a bit longer than I'd planned.

...My dog Harry is staring at me and making sad sounds, so I'd better give him some attention. He's 17 and has earned his place of honor in the house.

Hello to everyone! I look forward to learning.

Welcome aboard. Also, I can tell you are a writer. As far as the advice goes, we all are on the journey. I too just turned 60, and, hope to move on sooner than later. We enjoy the 4 seasons here in Virginia and sit in the sun room during winter, and in turn enjoy the summer and fall in the screened in porch with our favorite beverage and a good book.
Looking forward to reading more of your posts as you continue on your journey. -
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I second Bamaman's suggestion of Banner Elk, NC, right off the Blue Ridge at the base of Grandfather Mountain. That is where I spend my summers. Plenty of snow most winters. Beautiful fall leaves and spring wild flowers. There is a small hospital with a helicopter pad 5 miles. A little larger area is the nearby town of Boone, it has Appalachian State University and a larger hospital. Within an hour's drive of Boone and Banner Elk is Winston Salem with a very good large hospital.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

finnski1, what a beautiful dog! There's character in that face. To be in a place with a dog and a wood stove -- that's my lifestyle. I'll see if I can post a couple of photos -- my old fellow Harry in the California sun, on a less-smoky day; and a close-up. (Sometimes I tell him, "Harry, we are old dogs together.") I have another, smaller, less serious-minded dog who's upstairs at the moment, but I don't want to spam you with pictures.

Bamaman, wow on Banner Elk. I looked at some Google images and saw trees, snow, country roads... and only 16 minutes to a hospital. INTERESTING.

cnocmmz, thanks for the welcome! I wish I'd retired five years ago, but as I keep telling myself, "You're very close now." Probably another six months or so... hard to tell, as the entertainment industry has been slowed down by Covid. (Not anything I was taking into account when I tried to plan this out!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg on deck.jpg (1.14 MB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg closeup.jpg (421.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Harlee, our posts crossed. I think NC is going back on the short list!
Old 09-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #17

Quote:
finnski1, what a beautiful dog! There's character in that face. To be in a place with a dog and a wood stove -- that's my lifestyle. I'll see if I can post a couple of photos -- my old fellow Harry in the California sun, on a less-smoky day; and a close-up. (Sometimes I tell him, "Harry, we are old dogs together.") I have another, smaller, less serious-minded dog who's upstairs at the moment, but I don't want to spam you with pictures.

Bamaman, wow on Banner Elk. I looked at some Google images and saw trees, snow, country roads... and only 16 minutes to a hospital. INTERESTING.

cnocmmz, thanks for the welcome! I wish I'd retired five years ago, but as I keep telling myself, "You're very close now." Probably another six months or so... hard to tell, as the entertainment industry has been slowed down by Covid. (Not anything I was taking into account when I tried to plan this out!)

Harry looks great for 17! Is he a Bishon?
That looks like a nice area of NC.
We have been to Asheville and Boone area a few years ago on a road trip to FL.
Enjoyed the area and the Blue Ridge parkway.
Being a born and raised Yankee it's hard to get the beautiful crisp Fall in VT and Nh out of my blood.
Yeah he is a crazy 10 month old Collie keeping us on our toes.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:24 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Good spotting! He is a Bichon -- but he's also a bit of a mystery. He's twice as big as most Bichons and has a very long body. People have guessed there might be dachshund in his background. I was curious enough to take a swab and send it away for genetic testing. When the results were sent to me, I opened the file eagerly to see what other breed was there. It said:

Parents: Bichon, Bichon.
Grandparents: Bichon, Bichon, Bichon, Bichon.
Great-Grandparents: Bichon, Bichon, Bichon... you get the idea.

His mystery remains unsolved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harry Longfellow.jpg (717.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If anybody needs info on Banner Elk, NC just PM me--I am in Banner Elk now and spend 6 months of the year here. I would be glad to help.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote