Join Early Retirement Today

Can I retire?
Old 01-10-2021, 07:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Can I retire?

Hello everyone,
I am currently a Federal Employee looking to retire on December 31 2021. Wanted to get opinions on whether I am financially able or whether to wait a few more years.

Age 56 (turn 57 January 2022)
Single no kids (no heirs so want to spend it all before I pass
TSP $1.1 million
Roth 100k
taxable savings 100k
Debt 470k mortgage (house worth 750k)
no other debt
Federal Pension 5k/month (includes health and dental insurance premiums)
Rental income from home 1k a month

I would like to keep the house although I know I should probably sell it. I love the location and rent out part of it for 1K/month. Im in the process of refinancing to a low rate mortgage P&I of $2600/mth

Thoughts?
jgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Check out this link: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ire-69999.html
Old 01-10-2021, 08:06 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It depends. If you can live on $80k a year then you're good to go. If you need $300k a year to live then keep working. And lots of in betweens.

IOW, we need to know how much your annual living costs are, including periodic car, roof and HVAC replacements, health insurance, taxes, etc before we can give you a sensible assessment.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would say since you have a pension of 60k a year, assuming you get that right away, you could comfortably take 2.5% of your tsp, if invested properly, and if you can live in about 85k a year including taxes, then you are probably good to go.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Want to travel and have fun so I need around 100k a year. Can always cut back if necessary. I receive the pension immediately. My refinanced mortgage will be around $2600 a month.

House is in very good shape. New HVAC and roof has less than 10 years.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:22 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As others have said. you need to determine your actual reasonably accurate yearly spending including occasional bigger purchases (car roof etc) however with your pension and rental income you would only need to withdraw about 2.2 % yearly to spend 100k/year including taxes. I know this isobvious math but throwing it out there anyway.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

What is your expected social security benefits at X age?
Is your pension cola'd?
Old 01-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
What is your expected social security benefits at X age?
Is your pension cola'd?
Estimated SS at 62 is $2400/mth

I believe federal pension receives COLA starting at age 62
Old 01-10-2021, 08:32 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Yes.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgman View Post
Estimated SS at 62 is $2400/mth

I believe federal pension receives COLA starting at age 62
Thanks. You appear good to go.
I ran your numbers through Firecalc using a 60/40 stock/fixed income allocation %.
The maximum spending yearly was calculated at 138k at 100% success rate.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks. You appear good to go.
I ran your numbers through Firecalc using a 60/40 stock/fixed income allocation %.
The maximum spending yearly was calculated at 138k.
Perfect and thanks!
Old 01-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...You appear good to go. ...
+1

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

In thinking about your expenses, be sure to keep in mind that your taxes might go up when you begin to draw from tax-sheltered funds (TSP is tax sheltered, right?). You will file as single, so std deductions are smaller than for us old married folk. In short, do an expense projection and don't forget the tax bite.

Try to figure your Social Security within FIRECalc. You may be able to draw quite a bit more between your ER date and your beginning of SS draw. I'm guessing you're good to go. Some folks here actually do a trial run - living on what they expect they can draw plus projected pension. Always remember that YMMV. Good luck!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:51 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
In thinking about your expenses, be sure to keep in mind that your taxes might go up when you begin to draw from tax-sheltered funds (TSP is tax sheltered, right?). You will file as single, so std deductions are smaller than for us old married folk. In short, do an expense projection and don't forget the tax bite.

Try to figure your Social Security within FIRECalc. You may be able to draw quite a bit more between your ER date and your beginning of SS draw. I'm guessing you're good to go. Some folks here actually do a trial run - living on what they expect they can draw plus projected pension. Always remember that YMMV. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I realize Ill probably be in the 24 percent bracket but want to stay away from the 32 percent bracket
Old 01-13-2021, 11:13 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Go through all of the questions in the post #2 from REWhahoo to review most issues, but it looks like you are good to go. It all depends on your actual spending.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:24 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

You say something about selling the house. Is it worth the costs of refinancing if the home's going to be sold?

You are certainly capable of retirement. But you'd be in especially great shape if you would move to a less expensive place to live than Falls Church. A big mortgage is quite a lot to swallow for a single person.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:48 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Based on your TSP, I'm assuming you are in the FERS system. If you have 30 years, then you will also get a supplement from retirement age to age 62. It is commonly known as the social security supplement. To estimate that, take your years of service and divide by 40. Multiply that by what your SS estimate will be at age 62.
Regardless, you look good to go.
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:54 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You say something about selling the house. Is it worth the costs of refinancing if the home's going to be sold?

You are certainly capable of retirement. But you'd be in especially great shape if you would move to a less expensive place to live than Falls Church. A big mortgage is quite a lot to swallow for a single person.
Want to keep the house for a while longer as I like my neighborhood. I also want to stay In Northern VA and there really isn't anything cheaper unless I move to a condo. Prefer a house to a condo as it will be easier to sell and will also hold its value better.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:55 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWillRetire View Post
Based on your TSP, I'm assuming you are in the FERS system. If you have 30 years, then you will also get a supplement from retirement age to age 62. It is commonly known as the social security supplement. To estimate that, take your years of service and divide by 40. Multiply that by what your SS estimate will be at age 62.
Regardless, you look good to go.
Yes I included the supplement in my 5k a month pension amount.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Go through all of the questions in the post #2 from REWhahoo to review most issues, but it looks like you are good to go. It all depends on your actual spending.
Thanks, and I have been doing a lot of reading and research the past several months. The feedback I received in this post reaffirmed my ability to call it a career and enjoy my retirement. Many thanks to everyone!