Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
Anyway, I am losing hope there will ever be a light at the end of the tunnel with respect to fixing the US health insurance/healthcare disaster, so I have started researching retiring to other countries. My favorite country so far is Mexico because of the proximity to the US, low cost of living, good & affordable healthcare in most urban areas, friendly people, great climate & landscapes, etc. I have made a couple trips to Mexico so far, and am working hard to learn Spanish. I have not talked my husband into retiring to Mexico (yet). Our cost of living in Mexico would be so low that we would not have to worry about healthcare costs eating us alive like in the US. If we didn't like where we moved to, we could move to another city in Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, or other Latin American countries. We might be able to move back to the US when he is Medicare age, of course that is if I can get decent health insurance on the individual market and if Medicare doesn't get watered down. I have been to a couple places in Mexico that I would consider moving to including the greater Merida area.
You're definitely not alone. My spouse and myself are your age and pretty close to the FI number that I have in my head. We both have high stress, high travel jobs, but are paid well. No kids and we will be willing and able to pull the trigger in 5 years or so. The big question mark is obviously healthcare and the US system is so screwed up it's not even funny. We will likely move to Mexico just to be out of this godforsaken system. We can afford it here, but for me it's the principal of the matter. I'm taking my ball ($) and going elsewhere unless the system is completely overhauled. We'll see what happens.

I share your frustrations.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
You're definitely not alone. My spouse and myself are your age and pretty close to the FI number that I have in my head. We both have high stress, high travel jobs, but are paid well. No kids and we will be willing and able to pull the trigger in 5 years or so. The big question mark is obviously healthcare and the US system is so screwed up it's not even funny. We will likely move to Mexico just to be out of this godforsaken system. We can afford it here, but for me it's the principal of the matter. I'm taking my ball ($) and going elsewhere unless the system is completely overhauled. We'll see what happens.

I share your frustrations.
Maybe we'll be neighbors in Mexico?
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:32 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
gamboolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 362
DOF
Upon his retirement, a good friend of ours bought a condo in Costa Rico. Beautiful place. He still kept his home in New Orleans also.

He also got married to a lady there and was very happy.

He passed away this last June with prostate cancer at age ~65 after only being retired about 6 years.

Makes one ponder.....

Please keep us updated on what yawl decide to do.

Vaya Con Dios
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:18 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 205
I am still hoping to partially retire sometime between next winter and April 1, 2022 (when my husband will be ~ 18 months from Medicare age). Unfortunately, the cost of COBRA where I work is now $22,000/year for the two of us as of 2019. That amount of money would more than cover all our living expenses in the area of Mexico that I am interested in moving to. My husband spent 2 weeks in Mexico where I would like to move, and I am happy to say that he did like the area, people, and food a lot. He is not as adventurous and risky as I am though, so I don't know if I can talk him into retiring to Mexico.

Of course it is even riskier to retire in the US before Medicare age because of the cost of healthcare and health insurance in the US. Maybe if we had an extra $500,000 "oh crap" cushion for healthcare, I would feel better. Of course then we'd have $1.5 million earmarked just for healthcare, which is more than we need to cover everything else. How many early retirees have $1.5 million saved just for healthcare in retirement? This seems like a crazy number to me.

Another option is me going back to school part time for the fun of it, and getting a student health insurance PPO plan. They are still reasonably priced, and tuition+fees+books+health insurance would still be half of what COBRA will cost.

We could always just wing it with a crappy ACA "tiny network" plan for almost nothing ($), and put back the nearly $20,000/year that we would save hoping that the "accumulated amount" would cover the rainy days when one of us might get cancer and have few in-network or drug options.

Finally, we could move to another state with better ACA options. But how do I find out where to look for data on locations with good PPO ACA plans? I have heard Florida has good ACA plans, but a couple counties I looked at did not have PPO plans, just EPO plans.

At this point, I want to move to Mexico for dozens of reasons. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get my husband to retire (yet). He is too scared we are going to run out of money because of out of control healthcare costs in the US.

Are there any safe health insurance options that I am overlooking or don't know about? What is your plan? How are you mitigating the risk of early financial doom due to uncontrollable healthcare costs?
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:55 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
Are there any safe health insurance options that I am overlooking or don't know about? What is your plan? How are you mitigating the risk of early financial doom due to uncontrollable healthcare costs?

Our ACA plan seems fine. We pay $2 a month for premiums for a Bronze plan, have access to a top local hospital and a fairly extensive provider list. California is moving towards universal healthcare and have a new governor with that as his main campaign platform. We do have something like a $14K out of pocket max. However, we retired before the ACA and I budgeted $20K a year for for healthcare based on our COBRA costs at the time so overall we've come out under budget.
__________________
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:07 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 8,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
I am still hoping to partially retire sometime between next winter and April 1, 2022 (when my husband will be ~ 18 months from Medicare age). Unfortunately, the cost of COBRA where I work is now $22,000/year for the two of us as of 2019. That amount of money would more than cover all our living expenses in the area of Mexico that I am interested in moving to. My husband spent 2 weeks in Mexico where I would like to move, and I am happy to say that he did like the area, people, and food a lot. He is not as adventurous and risky as I am though, so I don't know if I can talk him into retiring to Mexico.

Of course it is even riskier to retire in the US before Medicare age because of the cost of healthcare and health insurance in the US. Maybe if we had an extra $500,000 "oh crap" cushion for healthcare, I would feel better. Of course then we'd have $1.5 million earmarked just for healthcare, which is more than we need to cover everything else. How many early retirees have $1.5 million saved just for healthcare in retirement? This seems like a crazy number to me.

Another option is me going back to school part time for the fun of it, and getting a student health insurance PPO plan. They are still reasonably priced, and tuition+fees+books+health insurance would still be half of what COBRA will cost.

We could always just wing it with a crappy ACA "tiny network" plan for almost nothing ($), and put back the nearly $20,000/year that we would save hoping that the "accumulated amount" would cover the rainy days when one of us might get cancer and have few in-network or drug options.

Finally, we could move to another state with better ACA options. But how do I find out where to look for data on locations with good PPO ACA plans? I have heard Florida has good ACA plans, but a couple counties I looked at did not have PPO plans, just EPO plans.

At this point, I want to move to Mexico for dozens of reasons. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get my husband to retire (yet). He is too scared we are going to run out of money because of out of control healthcare costs in the US.

Are there any safe health insurance options that I am overlooking or don't know about? What is your plan? How are you mitigating the risk of early financial doom due to uncontrollable healthcare costs?
Bolded Not sure what plans in Florida you looked at, but there is a great Silver Plan (BCBS or Florida Blue 1443) which is a PPO plan. I believe it states on the surface that it is an EPO plan.
However, in the state of Florida, it functions as a PPO plan, but traveling elsewhere in the USA, it is an EPO plan.
My brother and I are on the plan in the Tampa area and it is $133 monthly premium for the 2 of us in total with no deductible and OOP of $1,450 each.
This number is at $24k MAGI at 58 and 59 y.o..

The ranges for this plan can vary greatly, depending which zip code in FLA one is in.
I know that in the Tampa, Ocala, St. Augustine areas as 3 examples, the premiums are very reasonable for this popular full service Silver Plan choice.
We have a multitude of doctor choices in our Tampa area.

We considered Mexico (Lake Chapala) heavily, but decided on FLA.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: NC
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
I am still hoping to partially retire sometime between next winter and April 1, 2022 (when my husband will be ~ 18 months from Medicare age). Unfortunately, the cost of COBRA where I work is now $22,000/year for the two of us as of 2019. That amount of money would more than cover all our living expenses in the area of Mexico that I am interested in moving to. My husband spent 2 weeks in Mexico where I would like to move, and I am happy to say that he did like the area, people, and food a lot. He is not as adventurous and risky as I am though, so I don't know if I can talk him into retiring to Mexico.

Of course it is even riskier to retire in the US before Medicare age because of the cost of healthcare and health insurance in the US. Maybe if we had an extra $500,000 "oh crap" cushion for healthcare, I would feel better. Of course then we'd have $1.5 million earmarked just for healthcare, which is more than we need to cover everything else. How many early retirees have $1.5 million saved just for healthcare in retirement? This seems like a crazy number to me.

Another option is me going back to school part time for the fun of it, and getting a student health insurance PPO plan. They are still reasonably priced, and tuition+fees+books+health insurance would still be half of what COBRA will cost.

We could always just wing it with a crappy ACA "tiny network" plan for almost nothing ($), and put back the nearly $20,000/year that we would save hoping that the "accumulated amount" would cover the rainy days when one of us might get cancer and have few in-network or drug options.

Finally, we could move to another state with better ACA options. But how do I find out where to look for data on locations with good PPO ACA plans? I have heard Florida has good ACA plans, but a couple counties I looked at did not have PPO plans, just EPO plans.

At this point, I want to move to Mexico for dozens of reasons. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get my husband to retire (yet). He is too scared we are going to run out of money because of out of control healthcare costs in the US.

Are there any safe health insurance options that I am overlooking or don't know about? What is your plan? How are you mitigating the risk of early financial doom due to uncontrollable healthcare costs?
Below are the estimated costs for me and spouse using you and your husband's ages, with $60k MAGI income.

Blue Cross And Blue Shield Of NC ∑ Blue Advantage Bronze 6750 (Broad Network, HSA Eligible)
Metal Level: BronzeBronzePlan Type: PPOPPOPlan ID: 11512NC0060024
Estimated monthly premium
$389.27
Was: $1,714.45

Deductible
$13,500
Family Total
Out-of-pocket maximum
$13,500
Family Total


I entered "male, 61y/o, female, 41y/o", estimating ages from your first post but you can go to the web address below, enter zip code of 27803 (Nash county) and provide your own information.

https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/#/aptc

This is a PPO with HSA. Max out the HSA for 3-4 years and the HSA will cover your annual max OOP. HSA is pre-tax so you can use it to reduce your MAGI.

I started using HDHP at work about 3 years ago and have never looked back. My HSA acct balance is ~$16500 now.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:51 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.
swakyaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: central California
Posts: 694
This is my 3rd year of a HDHP with HSA, and it has been a good choice. The first year on the plan, my premiums changed from $18K to $14K for DH and I, and my OOP was only $1000. The next year I was retired, and I kept the same HDHP with HSA under a cobra for 1 year. Premium was $14.5K and my OOP was $2000. (Without cobra, my unsubsidized premium would have been $20.5K; a non-HDHP would have been $26K!) But before you get discouraged, this year I decided to apply for an ACA bronze plan, a ppo HDHP with HSA. On my application, I stated my income would be $65K. Now my monthly premiums are only $545/month. Because DH and I are both healthy, we havenít come close to maxing out our deductible. OPís rate would be even less because of her young age, and there is no pre-existing disease exclusion clause with the ACA. After a career of paying high health care premiums (I had no employer contribution) and lots of taxes, retiree expenses this year have turned out to be surprisingly lower than I planned for. Moving to a higher COL area may not be out of reach for the OP after all.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:39 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 205
We hit another big net worth milestone today, and are still happily married! Hopefully my husband will retire this year. He keeps working and I don't think he even knows why.

More than a decade ago, I did a retirement planning exercise through my 457 plan, and my FIRE/partial FIRE guesstimate year was 2022. I will definitely hit that date (4/1/2022 & barely still 45), though I have way too many things I want to do to completely FIRE. I am definitely ready to do something besides sit in a cubical 40 hours per week. I am hoping to somehow push my partial-FIRE date to 2020, but my husband is a snail when it comes to making big decisions and changes.
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One Down & One to Go! Col. Klink Hi, I am... 12 07-26-2011 06:05 PM
So, do you feel your age? Act your age? Like your age? vickko Life after FIRE 84 04-10-2010 01:47 PM
Fire! Fire!---Not FIRE mickeyd Other topics 16 11-18-2008 05:19 PM
TODAY is one year to FIRE... Puzzley FIRE and Money 6 02-02-2008 12:21 PM
Poor Bill & Julie, @ age 60 w/$1M can't retire Telly Other topics 13 11-16-2003 05:31 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.