Check Up From 2 Years Ago....With 2 Years To Go

gamboolman

Recycles dryer sheets
Howdy Folks ! Checking in and a follow up from a couple of years ago

Still working right where we was a couple of years ago in West Africa....

And Jaeger words were and are so true for so many of us.....

Just wanted to get a pulse check from the Forum members - all questions and comments are very much appreciated !

The current poop & scoop:

Age 58
Ms. gamboolgal 56, retired

Emergency funds: Currently have ~4 months cash in the gun safe. Looking to have full 12 months annual estimated expenses in the gun safe by retirement.

Debt: None. House is paid for - worth ~$200K back in Texas

Tax Filing Status: Married Filing Jointly

Tax Rate: ??% Federal, I think we pay the most Federal tax you can since we work international oilfield - we have our CPA who specializes in international taxes prepare our taxes - and have since 1st year we went overseas.

We will keep our CPA and if it makes sense will hire specialized tax assistance once we retire - glad to pay for the expertise until we get a handle on retired finances vs international.

State of Residence: Texas
Ms. gamboolgal 56

Desired Asset allocation: 55% stocks / 45% bonds
Current Asset allocation: 65% stocks / 32% Bonds / 3% cash
Current International allocation: 8% of stocks

Total Current Portfolio ~$1,587,000

Vanguard Total Bond Index Admiral - VBTLX ~$104K
Vanguard Total International Stock Admiral - VTIAX ~$37K
Vanguard Total USA Stock Admiral - VTSAX ~$60K
Vanguard Wellington Admiral - VWENX ~$115K
Mega Corp stock ~$350K
Mega Corp Equity Units stock Index Fund ~$163K
Mega Corp Extended Market Units stock Index Fund ~$50K
Mega Corp International stock Index Fund ~$94K
Mega Corp Bond Index Fund ~$364K
Private Investment Firm - various stocks ~$200K
Cash ~$50K

Contributions
Mega Corp Maximum Allowed to save annually $60K
Personal savings per month allocated to Vanguard Funds ~$10 to $13K per month. We use $125K per year to add to VG funds

Future Contributions:
Lump Sum at target retirement date is estimated to be ~$1,275,000

Key Points:

1. Target retirement date is 31-Dec-19 when I will be age 60.

2. Plan at retirement is to take the Lump Sum and roll over to Vanguard funds with asset allocation of 55/45

3. We intend to close our account with private investment firm prior to retirement and move to Vanguard and use monies to move asset allocation directionally to 55/45

4. Over next 2 years before planned retirement date, plan is to sell company stock and move our asset allocation directionally towards 55/45

5. I'm planning to take Social Security at age ~67. We plan on it being reduced 25%. We use $27K per year for me.
For Ms. gamboolgal, she will take at age 67 when she can get 1/2 spousal benefit. We reduce hers also and use $14K per year for her.

6. At retirement date we aim to start with ~$3,250,000 after taking lump sum

7. Annual gross estimated expenses, including Income Tax = $142 per year.

8. Estimated net monthly expenses = ~$10K per month after tax. We have included our estimated net monthly expenses below. We previously submitted these for comments - and got some great and valuable feedback from the forum.
We admit that our numbers are based on us living overseas for the last 15+ years - and thus are estimates only.

9. We are counting on one time spending ~$150k upon retirement and another ~$100k about 10 years later. We have incorporated this into our planning.

9. We have run Firecalc with above criteria and we get 100%

Questions:

Are we missing something?

Feedback and questions are welcomed !

Sincere thanks to all members of the board and this site ! We have learned so much from reading about real life folks similar to us.

Thanks, gamboolman & gamboolgal....

Here is our guesstimated expenses - based on being international and not living in Texas for the last 15+ years..... Fire away and rip us to shreds.....

e6wkFUQ.png

Post from 27-Sep-15

So Close, Yet So Far - 56 and Aiming to Retire at 60 – What’ya Think?

Another pair of Texans looking to retire in about four years – Howdy to all yawl !

Jagers Post on “Tickling The Dragons Tail” - Says it all better than I could ever express.

“The reciprocal to that first tragedy is that most people are stuck. They need their jobs. There is an undercurrent of quiet desperation that lies just beneath the surface. And so they do what they must. They suck it up, absorbing the drama and the politics and the dysfunction. They live with the ever present anxiety of potential loss.

The notion of being able to take a principled stand is a luxury very few have.

We mostly think of financial independence as simply the near prelude to an enjoyable retirement. It’s more than that, though. For those still working, it is perhaps the most liberating thing they can possibly experience.”

Well said Jager !

The Background:
I’m 56 and DW is 54. I work for a major oil company and have been working in Africa since 2003 in countries and locations on land and offshore that are not popular tourist destination’s to say the least. Been in the oilfield since 78 and my dear wife has been chasing me all over the world since 79.

The wife and I have been permanent resident basis since 2008 in Africa. DW lives overseas with me and we spend ~10 months per year in Africa out of the USA. We have kept our home in The Woodlands,Texas, and one of our two adult children is living in it while pursuing additional college degrees.

I was fully vested and eligible for retirement as of age 55 as far as benefits and pension go.

Target Retirement date is 1-Jan-20. We are planning on continuing to work overseas until retirement.

The Numbers:

Personal Savings - Total ~$300K
We have four Admiral funds at Vanguard. Asset Allocation is currently 57/43. Try to stay around 60/40.
• Wellington VWENX
• Total USA Bond, VBTLX
• Total International Stock, VTIAX
• Total USA Stock, VTSAX

Currently saving ~$14K per month. Estimate ~$1M at retirement date.

Company Personal Savings - ~$700K today and estimated to be ~$1.1M at target retirement date. Save maximum allowed of ~$60K per year

Combined total for Personal and Company savings currently is ~$1M.
The combined Asset Allocation is currently 78/22 and we will be working to get that towards 60/40 by target retirement date.

Pension – Have option of taking lump sum or annuity.

Pension with 100% Survivor benefit for DW is $67K per year non-COLA.
Lump sum is estimated to be ~$1.150M

House is paid off and we could sell it for ~$180K to $225K. Home is well maintained and we have replaced the roof, both AC’s, Heater, all appliances, and done a major remodel in the last 5 years that is all paid for. So the house is in excellent condition.

One vehicle, 2006 Accord in excellent condition.

Plan to take Social Security at 67 and the wife will take the one half spousal benefit when she turns 67. Current estimate for me at age 67 is $32K per year.

No debt.

However, we are helping to support our two children financially while they pursue advanced degree’s. These costs are included in the savings estimates detailed herein.

We have estimated in retirement needing ~$9,250 net per month. Gross ~$131K per year.
This includes keeping our Medical/Dental/Vision insurance from mega-corp.

We are leaning towards taking the pension of $67K per year vs taking lump sum.

Therefore we would be need to make up ~$64k per year from our investments and savings.

Estimated current total of personal savings and company savings is estimated to be ~$2M at target retirement date.

No debt or any anticipated major expenses. No known medical issues and the wife and I are in good shape and health.

Firecalc gives us 100% for 40 years with a minimum portfolio of ~$1.575M.

Summary:
We feel like we are on track.

But after being in the oilfield since 1978 – we don’t get our hopes up too much as we have lived thru a couple of busts and know how bad things can get.
Having said that…….we seem to be headed towards reaching our goals and targets.

God willing, four years to go and like so many others on the site – I admit that I am obsessed with being able to be free from working. I want to be able to spend every remaining moment enjoying life with my dear wife and family.

We’ll be posting periodic updates on the status and progress.

We are rank amateurs when it comes to this investing stuff and are learning so much from this site and the posts of the members.

After all They’s Many A Slip Between The Cup and The Lip :wiseone:

All comments, questions and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks, gamboolman & gamboolgal....

Last edited:
Don't know if it a typo and its a really minor point but why would your DW wait until she is 69 to take her spousal benny, her FRA is 67 and her spousal benefit will not continue to grow after her FRA. I assume it's a typo since your reposted list from 2015 says she will take it at 67.

For newbies reading here it's an important point to understand.

You have a lot of assets invested around your Megacorp.

Last edited:
Why the cash in the gun safe? I'd worry about a miscreant putting a gun to my head to get it.

Why the cash in the gun safe? I'd worry about a miscreant putting a gun to my head to get it.

If he is talking about 120K a bigger point might be how he plans to get the cash back into the US....I don't see the point of actually having this in paper money.

Ivinsfan - thank you for the correction. Meant 67 for my DW to start taking Social Security - good catch

As to cash in the gun safe - this will be cash on hand whether some at home or in the bank....

We agree that we need to sell of stock and diversify to our planned asset allocation

Last edited:
1. Electricity, gas, water at 580 seems too high. I would say $1 per sqft.
2. Car insurance at 100 to 150 for two cars.
3. Not sure what is car phone.
4. Postage?
5. Why spouse need life insurance?
6. Credit card fee at 300 per year? Maybe w/ lots of perks.

Thanks Hill Country, As I have said, we don't have a real good handle on domestic expenses since we have been gone 10 months per year for the last 15+ years.....overseas working.

Perhaps we have been too conservative? I would rather have over estimated to a degree than the other way for sure.

Thank you and all the others for your replies and points for us to consider.

Your Expenses seem a bit off to me, based on my one person household.

Missing items - sinking fund for next car; assume mobile phone is listed as "car phone"

Items I question - postage (can't remember last time spent anything on this area); car phone (mobile?); CPA (every year, or just the first year you are back?); Attorney (again, why every year; seems like a one time thing); Life Insurance for spouse (why if you are financially independent?); Credit card fees (easy to avoid)

Areas that seem low - health care out of pocket (I always assume I will hit the maximum); hobbies entertainment is low for two people; pamper expenses (may be in your haircuts, but color, nails, brow shaping, massage and cuts can be a lot more than $100/month)

Areas that seem high - gasoline (for reference, I spend less than $100/month); car maintenance (maybe this is also your sinking fund); groceries and eating out at $2000 per month is extremely high in Texas (or anywhere); clothes at $5000 per year (CES average is less than $1000 per person)

The net of all of this is probably that you are in the right ballpark, but the specific line items will need to be adjusted as you get more info.

Hope this is helpful in calibrating what it will cost to return.

Good luck.

Lagniappe & Hill Country - thank you for your responses and details.

You raised some good points on some of the specific items being a bit high vs some that may be low.....

But glad to hear that overall our estimated expenses seem reasonable.

We know that it will be interesting actually getting back home to Texas and living with the domestic cost's full time vs coming in a couple months per year and being on vacation.

Car phone = cell phone......

Life insurance for Ms. gamboolgal is what we have been carrying while working. Agree that once we retire it does not make sense to keep it.....

Thank you all very much for this site and for Firecalc.

gamboolman & gamboolgal...

Perhaps I am misreading the post but it seems that you will be withdrawing 4.4% per year for the seven years until you start social security. You say firecalc gives you 100%, but that level of withdrawal would make me uncomfortable. Sequence of returns risk could throw this further out of wack. With an early retirement I would feel more comfortable with a max initial withdrawal rate of 3.5% which could be accomplished with reduced spending, increased savings or a combination of the two.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Perhaps I am misreading the post but it seems that you will be withdrawing 4.4% per year for the seven years until you start social security. You say firecalc gives you 100%, but that level of withdrawal would make me uncomfortable. Sequence of returns risk could throw this further out of wack. With an early retirement I would feel more comfortable with a max initial withdrawal rate of 3.5% which could be accomplished with reduced spending, increased savings or a combination of the two.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Nope once the pension and SS kick in it will cover almost all their living expenses...

Nope once the pension and SS kick in it will cover almost all their living expenses...

I thought he was taking the pension as a lump sum and was included in the $3,250,000. $142,000/3,250,000=4.369% I could be wrong. The post was a bit confusing, at least to me.

Last edited:
I thought he was taking the pension as a lump sum and was included in the $3,250,000. $142,000/3,250,000=4.369% I could be wrong. The post was a bit confusing, at least to me.

It is a bit confusing because I thought the exact opposite....we could start a lump sum or pension debate..:LOL:

Sorrio for any confusion..... No debate and sorrio for any unclear comm's.... I am a believer in crystal clear comm's....

Current plan is to take Lump Sum of ~$1,270,000 at retirement on 31-Dec-19.

Just to be Crystal Clear..........No Pension - just the Lump Sum....

I have run the dang Firecalc without adding any monies to our savings from now till target retirement date of 31-Dec-19..... and we are good....for $142k gross expenses per year till SS kicks in....

But I will admit up front - that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer....When it comes to personal monies......

Please any and all comments and questions from Forum members are welcomed.....and valued..... and after 40+ GD years,........ if need be, I can stay abit longer in this scenic location.....to pile up abit more $$.......but after near to 40+GD year it is getting old....

And - just to provide the info.......If I die on the job.....Ms. gamboolman will be into the 8 figure club.....

Where I'm physically typing this at ......Just this last month a family was machine gunned to death in their house.....
Heads without the rest of the body positioned along the roadway....to send a clear message....
Expats and Nationals being kidnapped or worse is every FN day....I say that to make it crystal clear how bad it is....
Attacks and kidnappings offshore....

Just got told....Ms. gamboolman can no longer come to the compound in the Rivers State ever again......the ex military boys....AKA as Security Consultants told me so much stuff........think hog tied with barbed wire and tires around your neck set afire.......it's on local youtube, I've seen it..........but you will never see or hear about on youtube or the MSM....or the GD CNN propaganda channels....

I digress....

Thank yawl all for your feedback......

I could retire from Mega Corp and come back as a contract whore.....but I prefer to stay a company man until the day I retire...... That's just me, I'm old skool oilfield....so, if i need to consider.......OMY......

Let me know....your thoughts on our retirement plan.....Once I pull the plug and get back to Houston and thru passport control.....I anticipate never getting another stamp in mine or Ms. gamboolgals passport ever again.....God willing.....

31-Dec-19 cannot come quick enuff pawdnaaahhhh.....

Sincere thanks for all the feedback.....it is much appreciated !

Thanks, gamboolman......

The only thing that bothers me is Mega Corp stock ~$350K. Thats a lot of money in a single stock. I would work with the CPA you have to see how yu can start selling this down in the most tax efficient way and invest it in your Vanguard funds.

Sorrio for any confusion..... No debate and sorrio for any unclear comm's.... I am a believer in crystal clear comm's....

Current plan is to take Lump Sum of ~$1,270,000 at retirement on 31-Dec-19.

Just to be Crystal Clear..........No Pension - just the Lump Sum....

I have run the dang Firecalc without adding any monies to our savings from now till target retirement date of 31-Dec-19..... and we are good....for $142k gross expenses per year till SS kicks in....

But I will admit up front - that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer....When it comes to personal monies......

Please any and all comments and questions from Forum members are welcomed.....and valued..... and after 40+ GD years,........ if need be, I can stay abit longer in this scenic location.....to pile up abit more $$.......but after near to 40+GD year it is getting old....

And - just to provide the info.......If I die on the job.....Ms. gamboolman will be into the 8 figure club.....

Where I'm physically typing this at ......Just this last month a family was machine gunned to death in their house.....
Heads without the rest of the body positioned along the roadway....to send a clear message....
Expats and Nationals being kidnapped or worse is every FN day....I say that to make it crystal clear how bad it is....

Just got told....Ms. gamboolman can no longer come to the compound in the Rivers State ever again......the ex military boys....AKA as Security Consultants told me so much stuff........think hog tied with barbed wire and tires around your neck set afire.......it's on local youtube, I've seen it..........but you will never see or hear about on youtube or the MSM....or the GD CNN propaganda channels....

I digress....

Thank yawl all for your feedback......

I could retire from Mega Corp and come back as a contract whore.....but I prefer to stay a company man until the day I retire...... That's just me, I'm old skool oilfield....so, if i need to consider.......OMY......

Let me know....your thoughts on our retirement plan.....Once I pull the plug and get back to Houston and thru passport control.....I anticipate never getting another stamp in mine or Ms. gamboolgals passport ever again.....God willing.....

31-Dec-19 cannot come quick enuff pawdnaaahhhh.....

Sincere thanks for all the feedback.....it is much appreciated !

Thanks, gamboolman......

I'm curious about why you made the lump sum decision , care to share your thoughts?

Are you serious? I would come home now and lower my expenses.

BadB - Yes on selling the company stock. We are working to do just as you suggested.

Ivinsfan - On the Lump Sum vs Pension - I am scared of inflation since the pension is not COLA. And when I run the numbers in Firecalc - the LS comes out a good bit better. That was our reasoning - it may be a poor basis for making that decision. Any advice or other ways to check what is best would be most appreciated. As I said and admit - I am not a personal financial guru for sure - and do appreciate any questions or advice - as we will only get one good shot at retirement.

tmm99 - As to coming on home now to either retire or finish up at another affiliate or we work to retirement domestic - That is a definite option. I will be honest - it's the $$ that keeps me here now. But you can't spend it if your not still kicking.... For a non-4 year degree man - I have been blessed to be able to make very good monies - but there is a price to pay for sure. I don't have any other reason than that.
Thanks for saying what you said tmm99 - gives me and Ms. gamboolgal something to cuss & discuss on Skype.....since she can't be here with me anymore.....

If things continue to get worse here - heading home to work in Texas or to another affiliate on another continent is a option I could most likely pursue and get.

Thank you all for your feedback and questions that I need to follow up on. I am struggling with the Lump Sum vs Non-COLA pension and would appreciate any guidance and advice from the forum. I have done the Search and Read thing alot - and I just keep landing on taking the LS due to potential effects of inflation on the pension......

Around 34 years ago a guy I worked with in Riyadh had to overnight in Lagos....."Never again" was his observation.

Before that, DW's father was in Nigeria on assignment for a couple months....he wasn't impressed.

Sounds as if things are a million times worse now.....stay safe.

The lump sum or pension without COLA is a difficult decision but if you take the lump sum, I would reconsider taking that SS at 67 for both of you. The surviving spouse will take a sizable hit in the income department....pushing your SS out to 70 will give more CPI indexed income.

Given your working conditions I'd do some reworking on the budget I believe you have a ton of pad in it. For example if you are serious about not leaving the US again 12K a year for domestic travel seems to be on the high side. You're retired you can drive where you want to go in the lower 48. You can travel in shoulder season and rent houses or condos by the month for major discounts. The 2000 bucks a month for food and eating out is high ....it's all about choices. You can be back in the USA retired and safe and not spending 200 bucks a week at restaurants or stay where you are to finance that expense.

Basically your company says since they don't make money off your spouse it's not safe for her to be there. You, on the other hand since they money off you, their not so opposed to you meeting a bad end. Think about that.

Last edited:
No amount of money would keep me there. I would be on the next plane out. The risk is not worth it.

No amount of money would keep me there. I would be on the next plane out. The risk is not worth it.

+100, the money means nothing if you are not here to enjoy it. I would have been on the plane out yesterday. Stay safe.

Why the hell are you still there?

Cut your spending or risk having someone cut your throat - easy decision.

Why the hell are you still there?

Cut your spending or risk having someone cut your throat - easy decision.

+1000

Get the first plane out of there, right now! You can always make more money and/or tighten the belt after you are physically safe.

Back
Top Bottom