Code Monkey

nuisance

Recycles dryer sheets
My name is Tim, and I'd like to retire early...

Like most, I've been lurking for a while. Figure I'd join in on at least some of the discussion. I work as a programmer, and a year and half ago or so negotiated down my work hours and my pay. I now work 80% of the days for 80% of the cash, and am loving it. If anybody else does something similar I'd be interested in hearing about that. My fiancee and I are thinking about buying a house, but since I work in Santa Barbara we'd either have to move somewhere else or win the lottery.

Non-financially, I like to take pictures, go hiking, go camping, mess with random computer stuff, and do enough exercise so I can feel in shape.

Tim

I now work 80% of the days for 80% of the cash, and am loving it.
Welcome to the board, Tim!

I've heard of grease monkeys but never code monkeys.

Does this mean that you're only working 5.6 days a week now?

I've heard of grease monkeys but never code monkeys.

Does this mean that you're only working 5.6 days a week now?

The code monkey thing is a running joke at work. Just seemed like a better subject than "Hi."

I'm currently working 4.0 days per week (Mondays off). At least in my book working 100% is a 5-day work week.

Tim

I think striking a balance is really a great way to go, as important as FI or R IMHO. Just watch out for workdays 4.1 it can just keep growing.

Yakers, balance is nice. I think I wouldn't mind swinging all the way towards not working, though. :)

Nords, sometimes I do feel like managing people might be nice instead of banging my head against some annoying bug all day. My people skills aren't all that hot, though, and it seems my head is made of steel, so banging it is.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom