Join Early Retirement Today

Coloradoan Needs to Retire but cannot....
Old 12-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Coloradoan Needs to Retire but cannot....

Hello folks. Just found this website. I m 57 years old and soon to be 58. My place of work cut my entire staff leaving me to do the work of a full staff. The stress monster is eating me and my health up. I cannot simply walk away as I need the money. Just had to declare bankruptcy to keep from sinking the ship so to speak. I have a pretty good retirement account at work but it took a hit when the economy tanked, to the tune of losing around $40,000.00. My place of work uses the Principal to manage out retirement accounts and they have done a fair job. Seeking ways to make things come together so I can leave the stress behind but really think I need to win the lottery to set things up well enough.

Look forward to chatting with folks here.

Stan
TiredStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome Stan! Wishing you the best!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #3

Hi Stan, and welcome aboard from a fellow Coloradoan.

Coach
Old 12-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Stan. Look forward to reading your posts. Good luck!
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
+1
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post

Coach

+2
aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #7

+3
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the Welcomes folks. Glad to see some other Coloradoans here. I am a native Coloradoan.
TiredStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredStan View Post
I am a native Coloradoan.
Well, we (I) certainly won't hold that against you.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

• I'm not a Coloradoan but welcome, sorry to hear about your situation.
  • We don't need to see your answer, but what does FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator say about your current situation?
  • It may be unthinkable - I'd look for work elsewhere, but not jump ship until you had another better bird in hand. I know that could take a long time but it could give you something to look forward to.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. Looks like a tough situation your in. Wish I knew of something encouraging to say but other than suggesting a job change, not sure what.

Hang in there, maybe another job will fall in your lap. Best of luck.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Stan,

Don't kill yourself. What would happen if you only did what you could every day and went home at 5 every night?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
gone traveling

Welcome to the Forum!... from a Colorado property owner...
(I believe that earns me the NAIVE license plate?)
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredStan View Post
Hello folks. Just found this website. I m 57 years old and soon to be 58. My place of work cut my entire staff leaving me to do the work of a full staff. The stress monster is eating me and my health up. I cannot simply walk away as I need the money. Just had to declare bankruptcy to keep from sinking the ship so to speak. I have a pretty good retirement account at work but it took a hit when the economy tanked, to the tune of losing around $40,000.00. My place of work uses the Principal to manage out retirement accounts and they have done a fair job. Seeking ways to make things come together so I can leave the stress behind but really think I need to win the lottery to set things up well enough.

Look forward to chatting with folks here.

Stan
Well, assuming the bankrupty has went through, you now have to rebuild your credit, your investments, and your health. Sounds like a daunting task, but start small. Set up a budget, systematically transfer money from each paycheck to an emergency account, DON'T USE credit cards, and find some sort of exercise you enjoy. Give us some more info and we will try to help as best we can..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote