Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2018, 10:09 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post

Can an employer stop you from retiring?
You can always quit, of course, but your employer may have some ability to control how and when you retire (leave with ongoing “retiree benefits”). Check with HR.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 10:36 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I just recently heard of a fellow that was going to retire, and instead he was fired.

Could your boss fire you, so you don't get a pension ?

Without a pension, you would have to return to work....
Old 03-23-2018, 10:56 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post
Only if you want to be stopped
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
With this country founded by people like that, it's a wonder that the ER's are such a small percentage of the population.

And I kept reading all this stuff about Protestant work ethics.
I don’t think England had been Protestant very long way back then, LOL!
Old 03-24-2018, 05:28 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I could probably push for more money if they are so desperate for me to stay but funnily enough money is not really the issue. I've never been driven by money but I have always been sensible with money which is why I can consider retiring at 55. They can't stop me retiring of course but the job that I am doing is quite unique and there is no one else to do it and we have recently lost some key staff. I can sort of see where they are coming from, just walking out of the door will make it difficult for them. I have been there 35 years and my company pension is looking pretty good, certainly don't want to jeopardise that.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:34 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just tell the boss you'll "w*rk" from home.

And then, don't. See how long they pay you.
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:35 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I could probably push for more money if they are so desperate for me to stay but funnily enough money is not really the issue. I've never been driven by money but I have always been sensible with money which is why I can consider retiring at 55. They can't stop me retiring of course but the job that I am doing is quite unique and there is no one else to do it and we have recently lost some key staff. I can sort of see where they are coming from, just walking out of the door will make it difficult for them. I have been there 35 years and my company pension is looking pretty good, certainly don't want to jeopardise that.
In the immortal words of Nancy Reagan - "Just say No!"

In the immortal words of Donald Trump - "Your Fired." By the way, he really got a lot of practice with this concept on reality TV.

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:38 AM   #27

Here is the way one young man handles the situation :
Old 03-24-2018, 05:39 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have been there 35 years and my company pension is looking pretty good, certainly don't want to jeopardise that.
I am not familiar with British laws and regulations on pensions, but surely if your pension plan is vested, there is nothing they can do to take it away from you. I think it would be helpful to verify the security of your pension to remove any question. Next, look at your contract, if you have one, or relevant labour laws, and determine how much notice you are legally required to provide. It’s then up to you to make the decision. Or are you one of the many people who suffers from One More Year syndrome?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:40 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
I really like the "stop showing up" answers!
However, I have worked for a couple of dirt bags in the past that would lie to HR about your "retirement come June" conversation. Cover yourself with a certified letter to HR announcing your retirement. My guess is that HR will start the ball rolling and notify your boss formally. Then it is out of his hands.

Certified letter? I just copied HR on the email to my manager.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:42 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I just recently heard of a fellow that was going to retire, and instead he was fired.

Could your boss fire you, so you don't get a pension ?

Without a pension, you would have to return to work....

It doesn’t work that way anymore thanks to ERISA laws. Pensions are vested and protected.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:59 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am not familiar with British laws and regulations on pensions, but surely if your pension plan is vested, there is nothing they can do to take it away from you. I think it would be helpful to verify the security of your pension to remove any question. Next, look at your contract, if you have one, or relevant labour laws, and determine how much notice you are legally required to provide. It’s then up to you to make the decision. Or are you one of the many people who suffers from One More Year syndrome?
A quick scan of previous posts shows that the OP was in the Class of 2015 here...deferred to 2016...then in the Class of 2017...what do you think?

I think Evergreen might not be implying that they would take the pension away, but rather that the company may not survive without him, thus the pension could disappear. They will find a way to carry on. 2+ months is plenty of time to prepare. Ask them what would happen if you got hit by a bus tomorrow. If they don't have a plan to replace any employee, they should.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:26 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hi,

I've been a member on here for some years now, finally ready to throw it all in. Went to my boss today and told him that I intend to go in June and he has told me that I'm far too valuable and that he won't let me go. I live in the UK not North Korea, surely I can do what I like!

Can an employer stop you from retiring?
Didn’t you hear, Lincoln freed the slaves.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #33

Quote:
My plan and a potential plan for you could be to go to 4 days/week for a few months followed by 3 days/week for a few more months until the new person is fully up and running. Also try to keep the 5 days pay while you go to 4. If you like your company and they have been good to you the proposed plan would be a win win. Good luck.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

No one is irreplaceable. What was their plan if you were run over by the beer truck?
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Cybernetic implants and voodoo. The Working Dead.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #36

I don't know what your company rules are, but I would certainly look into the possibility of receiving all pay that is due on the day you leave. This would include checking company, as well as the rules of the country you reside in as to what your rights are. Otherwise the company could delay paying you what you are due and possibly deny paying you altogether. Yes, companies are being sued because of this practice. My former company is being sued right now in a class action lawsuit.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

When I chose to take an early retirement package, several levels of managers tried to convince me to stay, and I was offered a "retention bonus". But it wasn't about the money - Megacorp had made a rather sweeping change in how and where employees would work, and I just didn't want to work in the new environment.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds to me like they should be paying you a lot more money.
vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #39

Quote:

Severing the work relationship as a valued professional is very complex and individual. Don’t burn bridges in the process. Going less time, and easing into retirement is not a bad option.

No pension for me, but if you are that valued and follow the rules, your pension will not be in jeopardy.

I understand where you are coming from. I spent a good portion of my career in “burnout”. However for a few years I worked a schedule and the type of work where I was happy to go to work. Just not happy with my “superiors”. Then I worked with a great group but my hours were too long and the work was unusually stressful. In 2014 I found the E-R forum and decided to retire. Well, the very week I was set to retire, I got an offer from the same company for ridiculously easy money, and they were desperate. So I worked independently for contract work for about 2 years, then told them I was “done “ July, 2016. But four months later when our hospital went to an electronic medical record, I took the training and was horrified how disastrous it would be without someone to create templates for our newborn notes. So I went to the hospital every day for 2 weeks , and created templates for all to use. I got well paid for my self-taught computer skills.

In May I got a call from my former director, asking me to help out in the one position in my career that so really enjoyed. Given the political instability of the ACA in spring of 2017, I took the position. I got a contract in December where I’m paid significantly more than I was, much less work, and with cheap benefits.

If you are that valued, make it work for you, not them. And maybe they can hire someone to do your valuable work, and you can train the person the way you see fit. Going part time and controlling your schedule is a huge step toward ER. Mostly I feel like I’m doing what I want with my time.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, if they want you that much, tell them "Show me the money".
And lot's of it.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote