Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

Volunteering is in my plans. It will be multiple things, not just one. I have retiree friends who warn that you can get sucked into volunteer gigs that are more work and more politics than work was. I will watch for that.
That resonates with my experience as well. I think many of us are looking for "challenge" without "stress" and perhaps those are two sides of the same coin
hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyist View Post
is "freedom" enough?
Is the Pope Catholic?
Does a bear sh!t in the woods?
Does a one legged duck swim in circles?
Does Grizzly Adams have a beard?

Janis said it best: "freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose"

Of course, all the above assumes the financial aspects are well covered ...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I would say that you seem to have plenty of $ and to retire again would remove significant negatives. Don't overthink the happiness reversion issue.
Well said! makes a lot of sense.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
For me I don't think ER was about being happy so much as being free.
+1 for me. I never had the impression that ER would make me happy by itself. It does allow me to be healthier, spend more time in nature , and be more attentive to household and family needs...all of which are wonderful.

As OP suggests, there is certainly an "adaptation" experience; and it's amazing what we get used to. After retiring, I've become accustomed to enjoying my freedom, laughing and smiling more, having more energy,....

I was happy before, and I'm happy now. Now is just better.
Nature Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Maybe the OP's experiencing "the U-curve?"

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...crisis/382235/
I've read this before and agree that it's for real. Though I'm close to 60 and don't think I started up from the bottom until I was 55 or so.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Hobbyist,

I just started my second retirement a few months ago. Very similar story to yours (and I was living in Austin while retired). What finally got me, at age 53, was the deaths of three close friends, all younger than me. I was happy, but not euphoric, when retired the first time. I was happy, but not free (and not exactly healthy) when working. I chose to retire again not to do exactly what I did last time, but to do exactly what I want when I want. Like many others, my focus for the first few years will be on my health and on travel, but I expect that to change over time. We only get so many circles around the sun, and I was reminded repeatedly that sitting in boring meetings stressed about things that don't really matter and becoming ill as a result wasn't how I wanted to spend my time. Be euphoric about the fact that you get to make a choice, and that either choice is not irreversible. Best of luck to you.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
Hobbyist,

I just started my second retirement a few months ago. Very similar story to yours (and I was living in Austin while retired). What finally got me, at age 53, was the deaths of three close friends, all younger than me.
Sorry to hear that, Lagniappe. That's a shocker.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
Hobbyist,

Be euphoric about the fact that you get to make a choice, and that either choice is not irreversible. Best of luck to you.
That's so true. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyist View Post
I was doing extremely well in my career and in most aspects of life, but the question "Is this all there is?" was often on my mind.
Mom and Dad might have liked this more, but it is kind of cool, if not a bit melancholy.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
V. Frankl. "Man's Search for Meaning"
Old 09-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

V. Frankl. "Man's Search for Meaning"

Hobbyist --

I'm new here, and also not retired, so take what follows with a grain of salt. I haven't walked the walk, so to speak.

Like you, I do find the psychological aspects of retirement to be fascinating, maybe even compelling. You might want to read V. Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning." I'm not a psychologist and am paraphrasing here, but Frankl basically explains that the pursuit of happiness shouldn't be life's goal. So if you did not experience "happiness" your first time around, that is totally normal.

That book opened my eyes to what the last decades of my life might be like. I'm not expecting bliss or nirvana. Freedom and hopefully purpose, yes. But everyday won't be a party, nor should it be, if I am reading Frankl right.
WyomingLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseline, happiness, hedonic, income, re-retire