Considering re-retiring

Hobbyist,

I just started my second retirement a few months ago. Very similar story to yours (and I was living in Austin while retired). What finally got me, at age 53, was the deaths of three close friends, all younger than me. I was happy, but not euphoric, when retired the first time. I was happy, but not free (and not exactly healthy) when working. I chose to retire again not to do exactly what I did last time, but to do exactly what I want when I want. Like many others, my focus for the first few years will be on my health and on travel, but I expect that to change over time. We only get so many circles around the sun, and I was reminded repeatedly that sitting in boring meetings stressed about things that don't really matter and becoming ill as a result wasn't how I wanted to spend my time. Be euphoric about the fact that you get to make a choice, and that either choice is not irreversible. Best of luck to you.

Hobbyist,

I just started my second retirement a few months ago. Very similar story to yours (and I was living in Austin while retired). What finally got me, at age 53, was the deaths of three close friends, all younger than me.

Sorry to hear that, Lagniappe. That's a shocker.

V. Frankl. "Man's Search for Meaning"

Hobbyist --

I'm new here, and also not retired, so take what follows with a grain of salt. I haven't walked the walk, so to speak.

Like you, I do find the psychological aspects of retirement to be fascinating, maybe even compelling. You might want to read V. Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning." I'm not a psychologist and am paraphrasing here, but Frankl basically explains that the pursuit of happiness shouldn't be life's goal. So if you did not experience "happiness" your first time around, that is totally normal.

That book opened my eyes to what the last decades of my life might be like. I'm not expecting bliss or nirvana. Freedom and hopefully purpose, yes. But everyday won't be a party, nor should it be, if I am reading Frankl right.

Back
Top Bottom