contact question

Eileen

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hey guys,
I wanted to just connect and say 'hi' to someone I once worked with many years ago.
She now lives in a distant state, so all I want to do is to say hi and exchange friendly greetings.
In the past I've phoned, used email, when doing this sort of 'out of the blue' contact, and both worked OK ..... wasn't sure what is best. In the past it was old college friends.
I do not do FB but I see she is on FB. I've however managed to locate her email address, as well as a business phone and a possible home phone. I would phone the business phone rather than the home phone.
Would anyone like to offer a suggestion as to preferences since FB is so common but I won't do it. So which is best? Email? I don't want to be intrusive, just a friendly hello.

Personally, I'd prefer an email. Even if it's just a quick note asking for the best time/number to call. Getting a personal call like that at work wouldn't be welcome (hooray for open plan seating).

Your friend might feel differently, but that's my take.

I've contacted old long-lost friends a few times when I've been able to find an email for them. It has usually worked out fine. Sometimes the email you found is obsolete, so it could go anywhere, but you don't have to put any personal info in yours. Just say you'd appreciate an email reply if they would like to connect with you.

Email would be preferable. An unexpected phone call is like an ambush.

Another vote for email. That way she can take her time and think about her response. Phone calls can often catch you at a bad time and you may be rushed in responding. Email lets her control when/how she responds.

Another vote for e-mail, and if the e-mail turns out to be out-of-date, PM on FB.

In this case, I'd use PM on FB. You're trying to contact someone you haven't been in contact with for quite some time. To me, it makes more sense to use a medium that they use to maintain public contact. They might consider their email address somewhat private.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Another vote for PM on FB (include a photo of yourself as your avatar, so she knows it's really you). In the PM, say you hope it's OK that you're sending an e-mail, just in case the PM gets lost in the noise (some people have scads of friends PMing them all the time, so this really can occur).

The exception would be someone who is 75+ (they mostly still prefer phone) but it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

If I were your friend, I'd be happy to hear from you. It's low-risk for you both, just to say "hi, how are you doing."

Amethyst

Yes, but I am not on fb. I suppose I might have to, bc her personal email I do feel like that is maybe too personal too. Maybe snail mail to her work place?d

Yes, but I am not on fb. I suppose I might have to, bc her personal email I do feel like that is maybe too personal too. Maybe snail mail to her work place?d
Personally, I wouldn't want to receive any personal calls, mail or email on the work phone number, address or email.

Personally, I wouldn't want to receive any personal calls, mail or email on the work phone number, address or email.

+1

Just get on FB. This is what it's for.

But why do you want to connect with this person? Why after all these years? I guess I'm just not curious. I don't think I'd try to track down someone I worked with years ago.

Back
Top Bottom