Join Early Retirement Today

Counting the days
Old 11-25-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Counting the days

Hello out there!

3 years, 6 months, 5 days and counting!

It's a little slow at work today, so I am browsing internet looking for the FIRE forums. I'm getting a little impatient waiting for the end date, so I hope that this post will help me keep focused on the end goal. Not to get impatient, and start prematurely, or to lose focus and start spending money unnecessarily. I've currently reached the absolute minimum amount to retire, but am holding out to obtain enough capital for that spending cash to allow me to pursue the activities that interest me.

I am on target, by the end of May, 2023, to have $1 million in total assets, (house, 401k, Roth, and IRA). My Master Plan is to sell my expensive condo, downsize to a less expensive and smaller home in the resort mountain town of Lake Tahoe, CA. Then spend my days Skiing, Mountain Biking, Hiking or just paddling my hand built kayak on the lake.

I'm 45 years old right now, looking to retire about 49. Lost almost everything in 2008 in the great recession. Been working on FIRE for the last 11 years. Had a few minor setbacks, and had to reevaluate the end date for the Master Plan a few times. But barring another disaster, this is it, the final push!

Fooly
FoolyCooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2019, 12:40 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats!

Best thing you can do - try to simply forget it...put it out of your mind, or the time will limp along. Forget about it, maybe you'll think about it once every few months. Try to immerse yourself in work and whatever project is at hand - it will make the time go faster and the date will be here sooner than you realize.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:06 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

A word of warning based on my FIL's experience - keep an eye on the housing market in the area you want to retire. FIL decided to retire to a specific state, which legalized cannabis a short time after his decision. Housing prices went through the roof, and he didn't actually have enough to buy a place. Which he discovered after he'd already quit his job and sold his old house.

Conversely, a friend managed to buy a house in a traditionally very expensive area when prices collapsed in 2009. So it can go both ways, and it's good to keep your eyes open.

I kept busy that last few years before retirement (I'm going next spring) by doing some long-term planning - what hobbies do I want to spend more time on - are there $$$ supplies/equipment I should get now while I'm still working? What kind of prep do I need to do? There are stickied threads here and on the MMM forum about what kind of things you should do to prepare. I basically laid out a plan for the last couple of years, researching typical prices for projected capital expenditures, noting projects around the house that I want to do, etc. If you can come up with a long-term plan, then start executing on a schedule, it could help you feel like you're making progress and not just waiting.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:14 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

3.5 years seems a long time to me to be counting the days. That just makes it feel even longer.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:38 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolyCooly View Post
.....Lost almost everything in 2008 in the great recession. ...
How did that happen? The market went down about 55% from its peak in Oct 2007 and had fully recovered by April 2011... a relatively short 3 1/2 years later (about the same amount of time you are wanting to retire).

VTSAX Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares Fund VTSAX chart

Also, what is your plan for health insurance between 49 and 65?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:38 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Just 182 weeks to go!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't know. I'm 2 years, 7 months and one week away from retirement and I have a countdown calendar I update every Monday. It doesn't seem too far away for me! It helps me when someone is being a jerk at work, I just tell myself "smile and nod, you'll be out of here in X weeks!"
RobotMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:51 AM   #8

I started the calendar a year ahead though I gave my notice 18 months ahead. Loved “Xing” out the days on the calendar behind my desk for all to see.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Houses and condos are very expensive in Tahoe. They have gotten expensive in Reno too.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

i have one month, 8 days, 6 hours and 17 minutes
Old 11-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #11

New Year's Eve can't come quick enough

One month, 4 days, 11 hours, ten minutes and 40, no, 39, no 38...
Old 11-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
One month, 4 days, 11 hours, ten minutes and 40, no, 39, no 38...
I decided to make 1/3 my last day so I'll get insurance thru the end of the month
Old 11-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #13

The Golden Boot didn't hurt at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I decided to make 1/3 my last day so I'll get insurance thru the end of the month
The VP decided my last day would be 31 December so I'll be off roll before the new year.

But it came with a sweetener so I'm not complaining!
Old 11-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #14

My countdown:
Attached Images
File Type: png Countdown to Retirement.png (67.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

A few years before retirement, I happened to download a countdown at exactly 1000 calendar days, it was weird!
When I was a close to a year out, I found one where I could put in actual work days, so when I added in holidays and vacation days, it made the date seem sooner and work was not so bad!
Old 11-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
How did that happen? The market went down about 55% from its peak in Oct 2007 and had fully recovered by April 2011... a relatively short 3 1/2 years later (about the same amount of time you are wanting to retire).

VTSAX Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares Fund VTSAX chart

Also, what is your plan for health insurance between 49 and 65?
Lost my Job, lost my house, had little very little in an IRA ($2000?) Spend all my saving, maxed out CC's trying to survive and look for another job. Due to freak accident I got my house back in 2015. (I'm not supposed to talk about it [bank error in your favor, collect $200])

I'm currently paying 100% of my health insurance though the ACA (my employers plan is total garbage). So the costs are already included in my monthly expenses, and future expenses.

Fooly
Old 11-26-2019, 12:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Houses and condos are very expensive in Tahoe. They have gotten expensive in Reno too.
But they are still cheaper than where I am currently at!
Old 11-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #18

Quote:
3 years, 6 months, 5 days and counting!
I'm 45 years old right now, looking to retire about 49.
We're currently planning for June 2, 2023, which just happens to be 3 years, 6 months, and 5 days as of today. I'll be 59 years old, wife will be 54.

We've changed our estimated date a few times over the last year or two, so nothing is set in stone at this point. But everything is looking good right now.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
A word of warning based on my FIL's experience - keep an eye on the housing market in the area you want to retire. FIL decided to retire to a specific state, which legalized cannabis a short time after his decision. Housing prices went through the roof, and he didn't actually have enough to buy a place. Which he discovered after he'd already quit his job and sold his old house.

Conversely, a friend managed to buy a house in a traditionally very expensive area when prices collapsed in 2009. So it can go both ways, and it's good to keep your eyes open.

I kept busy that last few years before retirement (I'm going next spring) by doing some long-term planning - what hobbies do I want to spend more time on - are there $$$ supplies/equipment I should get now while I'm still working? What kind of prep do I need to do? There are stickied threads here and on the MMM forum about what kind of things you should do to prepare. I basically laid out a plan for the last couple of years, researching typical prices for projected capital expenditures, noting projects around the house that I want to do, etc. If you can come up with a long-term plan, then start executing on a schedule, it could help you feel like you're making progress and not just waiting.

Thanks, I think I'm prepared for another 2001 type recession. If we get another 2008 recession, I will have to postpone retirement to accommodate. I am hoping the next recession hits sooner than latter so I can retire on the rebound. If not, I may have to soft retire, and get that part time job to bridge the expected gap.

Yep I do spend my time planning, What repairs and improvements I need to do to my house before I sell it. What toys do I need to buy while I can still afford it. I think half my problem is that all my planning is really making me to eager, or to impatient.

Fooly
Old 11-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lost my Job, lost my house, had little very little in an IRA ($2000?) Spend all my saving, maxed out CC's trying to survive and look for another job. Due to freak accident I got my house back in 2015. (I'm not supposed to talk about it [bank error in your favor, collect $200])

I'm currently paying 100% of my health insurance though the ACA (my employers plan is total garbage). So the costs are already included in my monthly expenses, and future expenses.

Fooly
Sorry to hear that... the way it was written I thought it was investment losses but other bad factors were involved... it is impressive that you have recovered so well.

P.S. We're just screen names here, so you can talk about the bank error all you want.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote