Crazy Canuck

KCCanuck

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello folks from everywhere and anywhere. I, I mean "we", are 56 year old soon-to-be retirees from eastern Canada.

I am a retiring public servant with a pension that should provide me with a little more than 50k per annum and I, I mean "we", also have a portfolio of investments that nowhere comes near the 1-million plus I have read about in some retirement forums. Having raised and educated two sons to the masters degree level I , I mean "we", could never have reached that level of investments while working for the government.

Nevertheless I, and I mean "we", hope to live comfortably and to use our resources to visit some of nice retirement communities with perhaps a view to temporary relocation, and to explore tourist destinations of interest to us snowbirds. Suggestions are indeed welcome.
All the best.....

Wouldn't worry too much about not having the magical $1mm -- your $50K annual pension is the equivalent of having $1.25mm invested to live off of, other than being unable to pass it on to your heirs.

Welcome, nice job planning, an enjoy your retirement.

Welcome. As Rich pointed out you are doing just fine. Which part of Canada are your from? I'm an expat from BC.

DD

Your writing style put a grin on my face :). Welcome though I'm pretty much a lurker :rolleyes: trying to learn from others and reading success stories. We still have 20 years and a toddler and another baby on the way to raise.

If your pension has a COLA (cost of living adjustment = adjusted for inflation), then I wish I were in your shoes :cool:.

If you relocate south of the border do you still retain the health ins.from Canada?

Hi Crazy Canuck! I'm new to this board too ..... and an expat from Canada -- born & raised in Winnipeg - lived and worked in Vancouver & Toronto -- have been in the US for about 30 years. Always good to hear how things are going up there!!:)

Also a welcome from an early retiree with a DB pension (not nearly as good as the civil servant ones) from Calgary. Been an ex-pat to the USA a number of times.

As Rich said, don't sweat the $1M thing. Your COLA indexed collective pensions will serve the collective you well. Add CPP and OAS at the appropriate ages and you will have the purchasing power to do almost whatever you want.

You may also want to visit the Financial Webring Forum based out of Canada for Canadians.

Hello everyone, sorry for so long between posts. We had a little illness in our family unit with my son and cancer. Hopefully the worst is behind us. Thanks to all for the warm comments. :)

Back
Top Bottom