Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

De-lurking, finally!!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

De-lurking, finally!!

After almost two years, thought I'd finally de-lurk and join in all the fun!!! I am a teacher, DH is a minister. SO, no big stock options in our future! We've been married a little over a year (DH is 52 and I am 45), I've been married before (2 DS - both in college). DS1 will graduate from Boston college next month, and is coming home to go to law school; DS2 is finishing his sophomore year at Gustavus Adolphus here in Minnesota - he wants to be a doctor. Glad they both know how to apply for scholarships and loans!!! My divorce in mid-2000 basically wiped out everything I had (long story - glad I have 2 great kids out of the deal) so I started over, used my meager savings to buy a house, got lucky as to the location and sold 2 years ago when both kids were gone, reaping a fairly large benefit, which I rolled over into the house we now live in. DH has never made much money, has never been married until now, and has no benefits from his church, BUT on the plus side he is a fantastic human being AND he is Frugal with a capital F. Good things!

I am glad I have a DB pension through my work, and that we have been able to save like crazy. I am hoping to retire in 10 years (DH says he is never retiring - we'll see) when I am 55. I think we can do it, given the pension and DH continuing to work until he is eligible for what little social security is there at that time. I've firecalc'd it to death, and it looks like it will work. Only problem is, I love to travel (have been to all 50 states - now am working on all 7 continents) so that may be the fly in the ointment. Anyway, we have around $65,000 in 403b (YUCK on the choices there!!) and Roths. Just started an IRA for DH (he has never bothered to think about retirement), and around $35,000 in other investments. Doesn't seem like much for our ages, but considering this has all accumulated in the last 4-5 years on a teacher's salary, I am not going to beat myself up about it (too much, anyway!). We drive older cars that are paid for, have no credit card debt, and the house (which I had built, so at the moment everything is fairly new) will be paid off by the time we retire.

I teach Junior High English and Math in an alternative setting within a regular school - most of my students have probation officers, and other assorted issues. I feel like I make a difference, but it is stressful. I figure if I retire and we end up needing money I can always substitute teach part time.

I am open to comments/questions, etc. Thanks for reading!! (BTW, if anyone was wondering, my last name is Solliday, and being a teacher and all... hence the moniker "Solid A" :)
SolidA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: De-lurking, finally!!
Old 04-22-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board! Or maybe, to the "talkie" side of the board!

As a lurker for 2 years, I'm sure you've got the numbers down. So, what about health care from 55 to Medicare? Husband have coverage (since he wants to keep working : )? You are frugal, so I'm betting travel won't be a fly in your ointment, my grandparents always got last minute deals that were out of this world. The ability to go on less than a week's notice means great deals. Again, welcome!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Laurence!* Medical coverage will be interesting, but cost (approx. $800-$1000/month) is factored into monthly projected retirement costs.* No, DH has absolutely no benefits from his church, but I have quite a bit of $$ built up in my 105 plan and my unused sick days will also help pay for coverage.* Here in Minnesota, a bill is in the legislature regarding a state-wide health plan for all state employees - this would include a (semi-affordable) plan for those between work and medicare. It will not be as good as the Blue Cross/Blue Shield Aware Gold that our district currently has, but it will be something. The whole world will probably be a different place ten years from now when we (I mean I) hope to retire, so we'll just keep our pocketbooks eyes open.* Thanks for pointing that glitch out!
Old 04-23-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome SolidA, nice to see another Minnesotan participating. I know a number of people who went to Gustavus Adolphus; good school. So which law school is your number one son going to attend?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

DS1 will be going to William Mitchell - they offered him almost a full scholarship (the U of M wasn't quite so accomodating :P). He really wanted to stay out in the Boston area, but finances drove him home. I keep telling him if he does well in law school, he can go back out there to work!! It will be nice to have him closer to home.