Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are a lot of big differences between FL & NV besides taxes and humidity to my way of thinking.

Heck - there are big differences between Daytona & Orlando for that matter......
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thank you for the quick responses- shoot I may just do both! I love Vegas life and activities! Florida does have my ailing mom which I visit often- I really don't like the extreme humidity. But my Mom would always say you get used to it. I'm not planning the move for another year or two but gearing up!
Retired2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The better-heeled nearly-deads live on the coasts, though, where there are ocean breezes. I lived in South Florida for seven years - went to college there -
and can attest to the difference between coast and central, climate-wise. Back in the day, central Florida was considered unfit for human habitation, unless you had a farm/ranch. On the coasts, especially the Atlantic coast, there are actually whole months when you can turn off the A/C and open your windows!

Anyway, bite your tongue. Forum is full of people on the outer verges of nearly-dead-hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
well the nearly deads live in central Florida....
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Florida: Hot. Humid. Rinse and repeat and combine for 6-8 months a year. Neighborhoods are an odd mix of mcmansions, subdivisions, trailer parks, and old homes. On the outskirts of Orlando, there's some nice land and properties. Like in Oviedo or around Sanford, or Winter Park.

Orlando will always keep you busy, if you don't mind the traffic, and constant construction.

Moving east towards Daytona, you get more affordable, but a lot less in the way of things to do, and with far fewer public amenities like sidewalks and road lights. Daytona's biggest draw is the Speedway, NASCAR, Biketoberfest, and Bike Week.

A little south of Daytona begins Brevard county. It's where dreams go to die. There are a few beaches, and NASA, and some good hole in the wall places to eat, but there's nothing worth living here for. Nothing. Don't let the people in Merritt Island fool you.

Along the west coast there's Tampa, Lago, Clearwater, Bradenton, Homosassa, with plenty to do and see around the whole west coast.

There's a lot to do in a lot of areas. Orlando can be nice in the right areas, but it's hotter and more humid since it's in the middle of the state. And with electricity at $0.12/kWh if you have to keep cool a large open high house that isn't insulated very well, you'll spend a fortune doing so.

A lot of grocery categories aren't taxed, and once a year there's a tax free back to school period where a lot of things wind up being tax free. Otherwise taxes hover around 7%.

A lot of people like Florida. Something like 50,000 people move here a year. But then just about as many move away. Crime rates are among some of the highest in the country, in pick just about any random larger city.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired2017 View Post
I really don't like the extreme humidity. But my Mom would always say you get used to it.
I would have to disagree with your mom. Six years here and I haven't gotten used to it yet. I know people who've lived here their whole lives who refuse to go out in the summer unless it's to somewhere with air conditioning.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The better-heeled nearly-deads live on the coasts, though, where there are ocean breezes.
So true. I guess that is what I REALLY meant....
Old 08-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
Florida:And with electricity at $0.12/kWh if you have to keep cool a large open high house that isn't insulated very well, you'll spend a fortune doing so.
Not so, we have 3200sqft and our "average" monthly electricity bill is ~$120pm. This is an extract from my actual YTD spreadsheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-08-23_16-06-12.jpg (93.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 08-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Ever been to Mesquite NV...check it out....
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #29

It's also buggy in Florida. FL is the only place in the U.S. that I've lived where I have to wear ear muffs while outside because otherwise the flies crawl into my ears - not a pleasant sensation. This happens even if I'm out for a brisk walk. This may start becoming a problem even in winter (last winter here barely qualified as a 'winter').

I haven't lived in NV so I can't comment on the bug situation there.

Good luck!
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
It's also buggy in Florida. FL is the only place in the U.S. that I've lived where I have to wear ear muffs while outside because otherwise the flies crawl into my ears -
Up in the bush in OZ the fly was, (and maybe still is), known as the 'National Bird'.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's also buggy in Florida. FL is the only place in the U.S. that I've lived where I have to wear ear muffs while outside because otherwise the flies crawl into my ears - not a pleasant sensation. This happens even if I'm out for a brisk walk. This may start becoming a problem even in winter (last winter here barely qualified as a 'winter').
Not so much by the beach, we do have NoSee'ums though, typically at dusk. Most FLA homes have a "Birdcage" over the Pool Areas, this keeps them out and provides a little UV protection, as well as keeping the crap out of the Pool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3221 (Medium).JPG (148.9 KB, 74 views)
Old 08-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Given the choice, I would choose western Nevada (around Reno/Carson City).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:49 PM   #33

We have lived in Vegas, Destin area, and Cape Canaveral area. Of the three the Destin area hands down. No Contest!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Florida still uses Nuclear power, which is said to help keep electricity costs down. That is just hearsay; I have no facts to back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Not so, we have 3200sqft and our "average" monthly electricity bill is ~$120pm. This is an extract from my actual YTD spreadsheet.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Wow, that never happened to me, and I'm a total bug magnet. Mosquitoes could be vicious at twilight, though, if the town hadn't sprayed.

Quote:

I haven't lived in NV so I can't comment on the bug situation there.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Florida still uses Nuclear power, which is said to help keep electricity costs down. That is just hearsay; I have no facts to back it up.
Two nuke plants operating in FL - One in south Dade and one in St. Lucie County. As a former customer of FPL, wasn't obvious it helped with my electric bill.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #37

Florida has all the pests of NV, plus a few extras . It is the most biologically active place I've lived. Iguanas, snakes, raccoons, possums all in my back yard in SoFla. Gators are about everywhere.

Everything unpainted will rust quickly, aluminum will corrode especially near the coast.

As to the climate, I lived in Phoenix for many years, and I prefer Florida's except around Orlando-it's far enough south to be warm-to-hot much of the year, but too far inland to get any ocean cooling. I"ll take 90-95 and high humidity over 115+.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Sequim, Washington has to be hands down the winner for best climate year around. In the summer it is 70 degrees (while it is 95 degrees here in eastern Washington) and in the winter it is 55 degrees (while it is -10 here in eastern Washington). Rainfall is like 17 inches a year but if you want to feel more rain you can drive up the coast to Forks where it is around 100 inches a year.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #39

I've lived in Nevada several times. (Elko, Fallon, Henderson). I like the dry, but LV area is too crowded for me. Elko and Fallon are very small. Reno gets cold. I always enjoyed the atmosphere in Laughlin, especially that it not in Arizona but has Arizona like weather. Nevada generally has little in the way of cultural amenities.

I can't speak to living in Florida, But every visit there has been miserably hot, humid, crowded, and traffic was insane. My sister lives north of Tampa, and has big sinkhole problems.

Like other posters have said, quality of life is more than a lack of State income tax.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We have lived in Vegas, Destin area, and Cape Canaveral area. Of the three the Destin area hands down. No Contest!
I'd be curious why. I have never been to Destin. What are the reasons it beats out the others? I am always scouting and keeping track of the good spots.