Join Early Retirement Today

Decided..not waiting til year end!
Old 06-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Decided..not waiting til year end!

Remember me? I posted a while back discussing how I am burnt out in the pharma industry and planned on pulling the rip cord this December. Well...I got fed up..some new rules were just put in place-all Regional managers have to be out 4 nights per week now instead of the past 2-3 nights. That was the final straw. I waited until June 15th and called HR and my National manager...they were shocked. They called me back later in the day and asked to stay on part time with little travel for 3 months---for doing this they will lump sum me 6 months salary and keep me on the company(read free)health insurance through year end! I just heard back from Aetna and my family has been approved w/ health insurance at a very good price--well w/in my budjet. I love when a plan comes together!!
It is not over yet....I put together a file of people in my industry that I have enjoyed working with both w/in and out side of my Megacorp - and sent an E mail to all of them discussing my plan of leaving my current employer. I have already had 2 new job offers from co. that have a good rep for treating their management well--I am entertaining them-more to see what would be offered than to truly accept....unless it is very big dollars and then plan on maybe a couple more years--if it is fun-- to take my ER to a new loftier level. I am only 49 - but I have enough to pull the cord now---I felt so good after I made the call--my family and I went to a local county fair and I was walking around with a beer in my hand and a huge smile on my face----now I am confused again! I am free of the BS from my current co(shortly), but other oppotunities have fallen in my lap and I am going back and forth with--"screw it - retire now" and "hey a couple 100K more won't hurt".
Life is a kick huh--every time you open a door--there are suprises!
I know this is a personal decision- but - what would you'all do?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Decided..not waiting til year end!
Old 06-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo
I know this is a personal decision- but - what would you'all do?
Experiential learning.

Take at least a month off-- three months is better-- and live yourself the ER life. Rest up, recuperate, and exercise. Don't try to take the traditional family vacation runaround or remodel the house or write the Great American Novel. Just chill, hang out with your spouse & kids, and enjoy life.

Then, at the end of the three months, you'll have concrete experience to serve as a basis for deciding if you want to chuck it all for a cubicle and a couple piles of cash.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #3

Good point--I do plan on telling them(co. with offers) that I will need at least 2 months to decompress before jumping back in(if I decide to). I have NEVER had true time off since starting my career 23 years ago-vacations included E-mail and VM...sometimes even conference calls!
I got to tell you--I dropped the kids off at camp earlier today and on the ride home it hit me that I am soon free--I prob. looked like a lunitic belly laughing in a car by myself
Old 06-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

As you say its a personal decision. My plan has always been to cut back to 2-3 days a week. Its alway seemed that working 5 days or more out of 7 wasnt very well balanced.
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

2 or 3 days sounds a bit too much like a job, you know what I mean, like working! My proposal to management is 10 hours per week, with just one day on site, the remaining hours to be worked from home. I'm thinking one day a week could be interesting but not to taxing as to become drudgery. I officially FIRE'd March 28, and agree with the decompressing concept. I am totally enjoying the life of lethargy to date about 2 months plus in. My proposal is to return for the trial run in mid August to see if Management and I both like the arrangement. I let you all know how it works out.
8)
Old 06-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
I got to tell you--I dropped the kids off at camp earlier today and on the ride home it hit me that I am soon free--I prob. looked like a lunitic belly laughing in a car by myself
This sentence put a big smile on my face. Thanks for making my day by sharing your joy!

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #7

I told the companies with potential offers that I would not be interested until at least year-end. I doubt that I will be interested then .. but want to keep the door open--I have worked hard to get this opportunity to say NO--it's my life and I am taking it.

It only took a couple of nights sleep to know that I would hate taking another job---I have til next Monday to tell my current co. if I am going to take their offer......I, and thank God my DW are leaning towards.....Naaah. The kids are thrilled w/ the idea of me being around more....12 and 15 years old---how much longer will I get that kind of reception? If I want back in to the rat race---there is always room for a good salesman/manager. I want out and am going to follow my gut....for one of the first times...it has always been opportunities(money) that shaped my moves. It is time for my life--it is going to be fun getting to know me free from work...right now, I'll go get a beer and comtemplate!
It was GREAT waking up on a Monday and not Having that pit in my stomach, alright...to the garage for a beer.
I appreciate having you guys to vent and bounce things off of--This is the first web site I have EVER frequented! Always to many E mails and number crunching.....
Old 06-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #8

Caroline--thanks for your reply--What a great time!
I keep on thinking of what needs to be done?---what am I forgetting to do/cover my butt kind of thoughts and then I get the positive adreniline rush....who cares?!
It's like Christmas morning....indefinately!