Join Early Retirement Today

Delurking
Old 11-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Delurking

Although I have just registered on this board, I have lurked here for at least four years and seen folks come and go. I enjoy the many different discussions on the various aspects of retirement, which I can look forward to in about 4 years. Both the financial and practical perspectives are valuable.

I am one of the lucky ones with a CSRS pension, so I will not pretend to know everything there is to know about saving or investing as it has not been as urgent for me as it otherwise would have been. However, this forum has inspired me to learn about those things as well as others. The most valuable inspiration has been learning about LBYM, or more specifically, reading about the practical application of that in many posts. Reading about folks' thoughts, emotions and experiences as they reach retirement (such as W2R) and beyond is also valuable and interesting. I think I know what to expect, but it is good reading about other's experiences.

I have worked for the Fed gov't for 27 yrs. I don't hate my job at present, in fact it's quite alright, however I feel like I want to do other things and won't stay longer than I have to. Travel is an interest that I want to pursue more of when I'm dun working.
DunWrkingSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the monkey house! So where are you interesting in traveling to?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great news Dun! Glad to welcome you officially to the fold. It's nice you spent some time learning more by observing. Share more or ask questions as needed and jump in as time and mood allows.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the welcomes. I have been to Seoul and Tokyo and wouldn't mind going back for lengthier visits (imagine a LYBMer picking places like that to be interested in!). I also want to get to Europe and visit (not just Western, but Central and Eastern). I can do the touristy places, but I want to dig a little deeper as well, get hooked into some of the places I visit. I have found my interest in history growing as I get older, so that may guide me. I have no planned itinerary yet, but I will develop a plan as the time gets close. Don't need to do everything at once, more important is being able to spend quality time there. With careful planning, I can keep the costs down, relatively speaking, but then again, in retirement, I will be much more flexible, which helps cost-wise. Anyway, almost any place is on the table (I don't do war zones, though). Domestically, I've been to many places in the US, but two places that I haven't been to that intrigue me are Alaska and New England.
DunWrkingSoon is offline   Reply With Quote