Join Early Retirement Today

DH retired 12/29/12
Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

DH retired 12/29/12

We filled out his SS application yesterday. Could not decide whether to wait or not. He turns 62 in April. Well by sister passed away Feb. 26th and she was only 63. We decided you never know when your time will come so we might as well start collecting at 62 instead of waiting. I am still working but will retire sometime before my 62nd birthday in Sept. It gets harder and harder going to work each morning when he gets to stay home.
Mppayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

welcome! I hope you both have a smooth transition into retirement.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

DH enjoys all the comments about what to say when someone ask what does he do all day now that he is retired.

I found this site when DH told me his company was offering a buy out if he retired by Dec. 31. He received almost a years pay plus we will not have to pay for health insurance. We took a lump sum instead of a pension. I ran all the retirement cals I could find. We are 100% ok on them all but it is still scary. Our IRAs are in Vanguard and his 401k is in Fidelity which I think I am going to roll it over to Vanguard just so it will be easier to keep track of it.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Way to go Mppayer. I am glad he made the move. Also I know you are looking forward to that move also. I waited until almost 65 a little over a year ago and have never looked back.

I love staying up late and getting up when I want to. Just make sure you have that health insurance taken care of.

I also have many people ask what I do all day. I just smile and say nothing. It eats at some people wondering what us retired people do and that's why I just smile and say nothing, I mean I do not answer them

They never asked me what I did all day when I was working so why are they asking now I am really not a good people person anyway so I could care less what others think about me. Hope you and your husband enjoy these golden years. They are going way to fast.
oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
gone traveling

I know how you feel when your spouse stays home all day while you have to slave away at the office.
Swamp Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
I know how you feel when your spouse stays home all day while you have to slave away at the office.
He does have dinner ready every night but then he has always done all the cooking. The ladies that worked in his office use to tell him to tell me that I was so lucky that he did all the cooking and I told DH to them he is pretty lucky because I make sure he has clean underwear. But now he is doing the laundry he even made brownies last night and did the dishes.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
Way to go Mppayer. I am glad he made the move. Also I know you are looking forward to that move also. I waited until almost 65 a little over a year ago and have never looked back.

I love staying up late and getting up when I want to. Just make sure you have that health insurance taken care of.

I also have many people ask what I do all day. I just smile and say nothing. It eats at some people wondering what us retired people do and that's why I just smile and say nothing, I mean I do not answer them

They never asked me what I did all day when I was working so why are they asking now I am really not a good people person anyway so I could care less what others think about me. Hope you and your husband enjoy these golden years. They are going way to fast.
oldtrig
By sister told me that she is so busy now after retirement she does not know how she had time to work.

My DH will like your response. The week after he retired his brother's wife asked him if he was going to get a part time job. She retired around 10 years ago and loves it but her DH is still working and he will be 70 this year.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

While you are still working your husband can do what I do which is tell people he is a trophy husband.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
While you are still working your husband can do what I do which is tell people he is a trophy husband.
I never thought of that. Ha always said we would not have what we have if was not for me. I am the one that made sure we saved. He is the one in the family that likes to spend. Now he gets to stay home and think about what he is going to buy next which is a Sono's base to go with the new Sono's speakers. I always think there is nothing more he could what to buy but I am always wrong. Now to control him once I retire.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
I waited until almost 65 a little over a year ago and have never looked back.
I'm fence-sitting on this one also but I'm thinking of splitting the difference and applying at 64. Holding off on SS would make a significant but not deal-breaking difference not only for me but also DW after I get The Big Ache.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum. I agree with you that one never knows when one's time has come. This is the main reason behind my decision to FIRE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mppayer View Post
We filled out his SS application yesterday. Could not decide whether to wait or not. He turns 62 in April. Well by sister passed away Feb. 26th and she was only 63. We decided you never know when your time will come so we might as well start collecting at 62 instead of waiting. I am still working but will retire sometime before my 62nd birthday in Sept. It gets harder and harder going to work each morning when he gets to stay home.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote