Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

dinks in northern VA
Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

dinks in northern VA

Hi, I found this site googling on early retirement because I'm SO BORED with my job and unsatisfied with my career. I've been lurking here for a bit and I've already learned a ton. There is a GREAT wealth of information to be had here. And we greatly appreciate this resource!

The DW and I are soon to be 39 and 44 years old this year. We don't have any children. Neither one of us loves our jobs but we make pretty good money and save over $50K/year. We are very good savers but we still like to enjoy life as well. We are originally from Michigan but we moved to the NOVA area for my work in 07'. We'd like to semi-retire early by 17'(I'll be 50 ), probably move back to MI, travel more, and work part time or full time depending on the opportunity. We've only been married for a year and a half (my second, her first) but we're both on the same page as far as saving and retirement goes. We use a very well respected Financial Advisor, who we trust, and have a well diversified portfolio.

We're not looking for any specific advice at this time. We'd just like to be a small part of this great forum, learn a lot, and maybe be able to contribute constructively once in a while.
robbridg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum! You'll find it interesting, educational, and occasionally funny.

You have my sympathies living in Ashburn, VA and dealing with the traffic. I'm familiar with the area as my sister used to live there.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Welcome to the forum! You'll find it interesting, educational, and occasionally funny.

You have my sympathies living in Ashburn, VA and dealing with the traffic. I'm familiar with the area as my sister used to live there.
Thank you. Fortunately for me I only have a 15 minute commute to Dulles. My wife, on the other hand, has a 45 minute commute to Fairfax. We try to avoid the beltway area as much as possible!

I usually don't mind the high volume of traffic as that is just a product of a good local economy. I can't say the same of the Metro Detroit area from which we came.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the board. I look forward to your participation.

You didn't ask for advice, but here goes. Track your expenses. See the how much did you spend in 2010 for ideas on categorizing expenses. Having 7+ years of expense history will give you more confidence that you'll be able to live the life you want on your ER withdrawals.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Welcome to the board. I look forward to your participation.

You didn't ask for advice, but here goes. Track your expenses. See the how much did you spend in 2010 for ideas on categorizing expenses. Having 7+ years of expense history will give you more confidence that you'll be able to live the life you want on your ER withdrawals.
It's funny you say that. In the last year we've really started to organize what $ comes in and what $ goes out. But this year I've expanded our spreadsheet to track most all of our expenses. So, we'll see how it goes. Now that we know we have to input what we spend for a dinner out or purchasing a new sweater or whatever you really stop and think whether or not you should be spending the $.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2017 is a long time away. I'd look for job that I liked and change jobs.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
2017 is a long time away. I'd look for job that I liked and change jobs.

I hear ya! My eyes are always open to new opportunities. But the company I work for has a lot of great things going for it. I just don't have a lot of patience. I'm always trying to create work and/or position myself a little better in the company. But it seems once you're set up in one area it's hard to move to another.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. Michiganian that never left, here. By 2017 you should have some good equity in your current house - that should cover a whole new house here, and then some.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Hiyas Rob! Y'all are similar to us in age, progress to FIRE, and lifestyle. Congrats on the plan!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Welcome. Michiganian that never left, here. By 2017 you should have some good equity in your current house - that should cover a whole new house here, and then some.
Sad but true. When we sold our homes in the very beginning of 08' I only lost $5K on my house in Commerce Twp. But my now wife lost about $50K on her house in Allen Park. And it seems like housing in MI is still going down.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Hiyas Rob! Y'all are similar to us in age, progress to FIRE, and lifestyle. Congrats on the plan!
Thanks! We're glad to be here and on track so far.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbridg View Post
Sad but true. When we sold our homes in the very beginning of 08' I only lost $5K on my house in Commerce Twp. But my now wife lost about $50K on her house in Allen Park. And it seems like housing in MI is still going down.
Ouch.

I don't entirely trust Zillow, but they estimate that my house is currently worth $40,000 less than when I bought it in 1989.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Welcome! Hubby and I are also NOVA dinks, but are over a decade older than you two. We began to think seriously about retirement when we were about your age. I retired 3 years ago and hubby's last official day is March 1, 2011.

I look forward to hearing more from you. BTW, Ashburn is a nice community. Doesn't hurt you have a great Wegman's store close by! I love that place. We're closer the Fairfax one but I've been to the one near Ashburn when I'm in that neck of the woods.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Ouch.

I don't entirely trust Zillow, but they estimate that my house is currently worth $40,000 less than when I bought it in 1989.
She bought at the high point, around 2004/5. But we had to cut our losses and move on. It's worth much less today.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:17 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Welcome! Hubby and I are also NOVA dinks, but are over a decade older than you two. We began to think seriously about retirement when we were about your age. I retired 3 years ago and hubby's last official day is March 1, 2011.

I look forward to hearing more from you. BTW, Ashburn is a nice community. Doesn't hurt you have a great Wegman's store close by! I love that place. We're closer the Fairfax one but I've been to the one near Ashburn when I'm in that neck of the woods.
We enjoy living in Ashburn. We also love the Wegman's. And congrats on your retirement and your husband's very close retirement. What a great feeling that must be!