Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
I wonder...do you think that if I take my computer to the Mac store they would upgrade the RAM? Will they think it's too old to work on? I just hate the idea of getting a new computer because this one has the built in disc drive.
When I upgraded my RAM, I think Apple only offered an upgrade from 2 to 4 GB. I wanted more. I ended up buying 8 MB upgrade replacement RAM (physically this is just two small circuit boards) from a company called OWC (https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/ ). Their website walks you through exactly how to find the RAM you want, provides reasonable prices and videos on how to install.

For example, this link shows that I can buy 8 GB of RAM today for my machine for $67. And found this link which has a video on exactly how to install the memory. It was easy to do and took only about 15 minutes. If I wasn't comfortable doing this, I could easily have found many friends (or even my kids) that could identify the right RAM to buy and then follow the video easily to install.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 01:44 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
I wonder...do you think that if I take my computer to the Mac store they would upgrade the RAM? Will they think it's too old to work on? I just hate the idea of getting a new computer because this one has the built in disc drive.
Apple will probably not work on that system. Upgrading RAM will give you some relief.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #43

Target2019, If Apple won't do it, do you know a place that does? Will Best Buy or one of those places work on Macs?
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
When I upgraded my RAM, I think Apple only offered an upgrade from 2 to 4 GB. I wanted more. I ended up buying 8 MB upgrade replacement RAM (physically this is just two small circuit boards) from a company called OWC (https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/ ). Their website walks you through exactly how to find the RAM you want, provides reasonable prices and videos on how to install.

For example, this link shows that I can buy 8 GB of RAM today for my machine for $67. And found this link which has a video on exactly how to install the memory. It was easy to do and took only about 15 minutes. If I wasn't comfortable doing this, I could easily have found many friends (or even my kids) that could identify the right RAM to buy and then follow the video easily to install.
Thank you for the links! Maybe it's worth a try...I am a coward with computers, but I can follow directions...most of the time...(smile!)
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote