Do you wish to come sailing?

RogerLloyd

Confused about dryer sheets
I retired early and I am a keen sailor. I have a yacht in South Wales and considerable difficult in finding crew. Most people are busy working. Of those that are not and retired, many are too old to be adventurous, many are unable to leave their partner, many are acring for a sick partner or family member. I am lucky to have the time. Do you have the time and wish to come sailing? I am not advertising a job, I am looking for somebody who is retired and therefore might have time to go sailing with me. Are there such members on your site? You need know nothing about sailing, except that you like it, and like exploring the Islands and Estuaries of Atlantic France.

The trip is from UK to the islands and estuaries of Atlantic France for 3+ months starting early June 2013. We expect to visit the magical islands of Archipel des Glénan, Belle Île, Île de Groix, Île de Noirmoutier, Île d’Yeu, Île de Ré, Île de L’Oleron, and also Golfe du Morbihan, La Rochelle, and possibly Ouessant, Île-Molène, Île de Sein, etc, etc. A visit to Lundy Island and the Isles of Scilly is also included for the return trip in early September. You do not need to know anything about sailing, other than that you like it. Ability to speak French is not essential. However, you do need to enjoy life afloat, exploring islands and estuaries, and preferably make a small contribution towards running costs. The big questions are, “Is this you?” and “Do you have the time?”
Roger Lloyd.
P.S. I still do not know what "Confused about dryer sheets" is all about. Nothing to do with me!

Last edited:
BTW, good luck in finding someone to spend three months as a crewmember on your yacht - and helping you pay your expenses.
I recall one executive where I w*rked who often said that some employees received so much benefit, in terms of skill enhancement and market value, that they should pay, and not be paid, to work there. When we became peers and I heard his comments behind closed doors and realized he was completely serious.

Very tempting, but I'm probably at least a year or two from being able to take off like this. My fiancee and I have both worked professionally as sailors, and I'm licensed in the US (100 ton masters with sail endorsement) and have a little French. Ask again in a year or so and we might well be willing and able to join, though not in a position to contribute in the way of money.

Best of luck, have you tried any of the sailing sites/forums? Seems a more likely place to find a hit...

Last edited:
Hi,
No. There are not paying my expenses. They are paying their expenses.
Roger

Oh my God. I was born 10 miles from there. I miss this region so very, very much...
Oby, signs don't get any clearer. And if this wasn't enough, it also helps that other issue you have http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/will-obgyn65-meet-his-goal-64601.html

I wouldn't wait a second more.:)

Obgyn65, seriously, maybe you could take a vacation in that area. After all you have given to others, I think that a trip to the area you hold so dear, near the Île de Groix would be a wonderful, wonderful thing to give to yourself.

None of us live forever and this sounds like something you should consider doing before you get too old to do it.

Oh my God. I was born 10 miles from there. I miss this region so very, very much...

We have the same feelings about where we were living when our children were born, which is why we went back and spent 7 months there just after we retired. We loved the place, and still do. We'll spend about 5 weeks there again this summer on our European trip. (which starts in 2 days time :dance:)

You need to have a plan to go back when you RE, if not before.

Very tempting, but I'm probably at least a year or two from being able to take off like this. My fiancee and I have both worked professionally as sailors, and I'm licensed in the US (100 ton masters with sail endorsement) and have a little French. Ask again in a year or so and we might well be willing and able to join, though not in a position to contribute in the way of money.

I also find this very tempting but am also at least one year from being able to do this. Unfortunately, I have no experience nor French; so, I am not sure your would even want me. If you do, it does sound like a grand way to spend next summer.

We have the same feelings about where we were living when our children were born, which is why we went back and spent 7 months there just after we retired. We loved the place, and still do. We'll spend about 5 weeks there again this summer on our European trip. (which starts in 2 days time :dance:)

You need to have a plan to go back when you RE, if not before.

I am thinking about doing something similar. I love your DW's idea of the repositioning cruises. I hope you have a wonderful trip. We are looking forward to hearing about it!

Thank you. I will be going back to Central America to run a clinic and in Latin America in June-July to oversee an orphanage. I will go back to Bretagne in September. I do miss the beach, the ocean, the Coast, and the language everyday.
Obgyn65, seriously, maybe you could take a vacation in that area. After all you have given to others, I think that a trip to the area you hold so dear, near the Île de Groix would be a wonderful, wonderful thing to give to yourself.

None of us live forever and this sounds like something you should consider doing before you get too old to do it.

Last edited:
Roger,

I hope you find someone to go with you. My wife and I lived in the north (Cockermouth and Hartlepool) for five years in the early 1990s. One of the best moves I ever made was marrying her, or maybe asking her for a date when I was 17. There is no better way to get reliable crew. Anyway, we are on our boat in Miami waiting for better weather to cross over to the Bahamas for the sixth year. When we left England in June of 1994, I (not we) considered buying a boat there and sailing off. What actually happened was we came back to the US, she retired first, then I retired in 2004 when we were 54. We spent a couple of springs in the Chesapeake Bay, one on Carolina coast, then began leaving for the Bahamas in January and returning in June to our home in the Tennessee mountains.

Click on my name to the left. You'll find a link to my wife's Bahamas sailing blog.

Thanks for advice about sailing forums. I thought there might be some potential crew in Early Retirement.
Roger

Hi, Thanks for your story. You seem to have life organised!
Unfortunately, some fiances are keener to sail than some wives!
Sorry. I could not find button to blog!
Regards
Roger

There's an active sailing community here and plenty of people interested in being crew and picking up crew, but mostly for day trips or races. It would be a big leap to go on a three month sailing jaunt with someone you didn't know. Have you tried recruiting for shorter excursions, then sorting out those people to see if anyone is interested in longer trips?

I do have being a crew member on my "get a life tree", but I need to take a much shorter first crew position to see if I like it. I've captained a rented houseboat on the Minnesota/Canada border waters, but that was only a week. I've done a little day sailing on 35 to 50 footers off Flordia, but that's nothing like living aboard. --Dale--

Back
Top Bottom