Join Early Retirement Today

Doingitwrong in Texas
Old 07-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Doingitwrong in Texas

Hi all!

No big bucks here. Paid plenty of medical insurance premiums and out of pocket over the past 20+ years. It’s complicated but basically we are exhausted!

Short version-We left our respective military services over 20 years ago (me-USAF, DW- Royal Canadian AF); we didn’t have health insurance after service (college students); six months after discharge DW gets diagnoses of stage four cancer. Many years of battle with government agencies in Canada. House we were renting went on market while DW was doing chemo and radiation; so we bought it (0 down USVA) because we didn’t have money to move. 

Flash forward-House has been paid off for seven years. $XXX,XXX in medical bills have been paid off for years. Credit scores are 800+. Own three vehicles because I’m paranoid about not being able to get DW to ER as needed (3-5X a year). Her meds and medical expenses are paid for by US insurance company, Canadian military retiree insurance then Veterans Affairs Canada (no out of pocket except premiums).

Ready to FIRE or burning down the house?
I’ll be 55 in 2018. I have a Solo 401K with $350,000 (40% mutual funds/30% bond funds/30% cash) at a local small town bank’s trust department. It’s a self-directed plan largely invested in Vanguard funds. The trust department charges me 0.4% annually and maintains all of our legal docs. I also have about $20k in a self-only HSA (DW is a gold-plan girl). We have $130K in savings and a brokerage account. House should net us $140K.
DW will be 62 in 2018. Her annual income from Canada stated in US dollars (last month was US$0.73 per C$1.00) is $24,000 from Veterans Affairs Canada (tax free), Canadian Forces $18,000 (taxed at 15% there but we get most back filing elective return), and Canada Pension Plan (social security) is $8,000. All are adjusted for Canadian CPI. She also gets $2,800/year from a state pension that will not increase, but they give her a 13th annual payment from time-to-time.

We’ve done it our way. We are used to annual medical insurance running $20-30K. Signed up for Obamacare for the first time in 2017; her Gold premium is $925/month and my HSA premium is $250/month. We don’t need to leave a legacy. We plan to UP-SIZE our home in retirement and move closer to family. We are going to “rent” the place from the bank with 10% down (to reduce Veterans Affairs funding fee) and enjoy life!
She’ll claim her WEP adjusted US social security at 62 to reduce spending from savings and Solo 401K. I believe this will be $6K annually, but we haven’t visited them yet. I’ll make $24K working part time after we relocate (already got a deal signed). Plan to do part time for a year or two then tap 401K when I “separate from service”. I won’t be adding to 401K after 2017.

We’re budgeting $80,000 for my semi-ER in 2018. Inflation adjusted spending thereafter. Part time monies will be replaced by 401K money and savings in 2019/2020 and beyond. All the calculators I’ve used say we can do this! We don’t travel far from home much. Travel to Canada annually but northern-family saves on food and lodging.

We took joint & survivor on her pensions and VAC will pay me her disability pension for life as she rated 100%. And survivor could easily downsize housing later.

We always thought I’d work myself to death! It looks like that might not be the case!? We should have had a plan.

Thoughts? Are we leaving something BIG out? We have a budget on paper and it works. Some sources change a lot in early years (part time work, savings, 401K, US social security) but her income covers a good portion of our needs (and wants).
Doingitwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FIRE!!!!!

And thanks to both of you for your service.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
FIRE!!!!!

Agree on both points!!!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #4

Welcome aboard! That's quite a story.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

You both deserve to retire and enjoy life !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
FIRE!!!!!

I'm not sensing any ambiguity.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Welcome aboard! That's quite a story.

omni
I'm working on the book. But figured I'd only subject the board to the Cliff Notes.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
You both deserve to retire and enjoy life !
We've been mentally ready for a while. I ended up here because I was looking for certainty in my calculations. Not that I found any here. I know better than most it doesn't exist. What I did get was a lot of insight into how to look at cash flow and managing uncertainty.
We are good with even my worst case calculations (no PT j*b, Obamacare gone, etc) and my initial WR (401K and Saving) of 6.66%.

So off we go...
Old 07-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doingitwrong View Post
I'm working on the book. But figured I'd only subject the board to the Cliff Notes.
Hahaha, Cliff notes in my "book" is the whole story.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doingitwrong View Post
We've been mentally ready for a while. I ended up here because I was looking for certainty in my calculations. Not that I found any here. I know better than most it doesn't exist. What I did get was a lot of insight into how to look at cash flow and managing uncertainty.
We are good with even my worst case calculations (no PT j*b, Obamacare gone, etc) and my initial WR (401K and Saving) of 6.66%.

So off we go...
WooHoo!! You'll love it! Welcome to the ER club!

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Hahaha, Cliff notes in my "book" is the whole story.
Your sig says most of it I'll bet.