Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Down the Rabbit Hole
Old 05-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Down the Rabbit Hole

Hi Guys

been a lurker for about 6-8 months now. have read lots of threads and followed lots of links for Bogleheads, firecalc, etc.

turned 50 Oct. of last year and just now decided i really need to get serious. will try to use the search function but definately will probably start redundant threads and ask stupid questions.

but i am over here now...

So where do i start? lol
cxr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to our forum.
No questions are stupid here. Ask away. We are here to assist you.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
We are here to assist you.
+1

Satisfaction guaranteed or your money will be grumpily refunded, no questions asked!
Old 05-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum... It's a great place to learn/ponder/decide what path is for you.

I know I asked a bunch of questions when I first joined... and posted my plans... which brought up questions I hadn't thought about... which made me refine/work through things.... So questions are good!!!
Old 05-28-2020, 05:19 PM   #5

Where to start?

Some Important Questions to Answer Before Asking - Can I Retire?

Acronyms and Slang Frequently Used on the Forum

Early Retirement FAQs
Old 05-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr133 View Post

So where do i start? lol

There are two generally accepted ways to introduce yourself and start a lively discussion. One is to definitively declare that you know the correct time to start taking social security, the other is to explain how confident you are in your future retirement because you have embraced variable annuities.

Other than that, feel free to ask questions that may be on your mind!

Welcome to the boards!
Old 05-29-2020, 06:11 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
There are two generally accepted ways to introduce yourself and start a lively discussion. One is to definitively declare that you know the correct time to start taking social security, the other is to explain how confident you are in your future retirement because you have embraced variable annuities.

Welcome to the boards!
Also, lest we be remiss, one should also have a definitive and universal decision about carrying a mortgage (or not) while retired.

Welcome!!
Old 05-29-2020, 07:08 AM   #8

Welcome! I went through the same thing, asked redundant and dumb (no question is really dumb) questions, made political comments. The posters here generally guide you through. Stay away from politics in every way, shape or form. That's what I like and appreciate about this forum and what makes it unique and helpful. There are many intelligent and knowledgeable posters here.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

ok so 1st question...

how does the Social security estimator work if i want to retire early?

im 50m now, thinking of if i going to retire @ 55 or 60.
i just made an account at SS and it shows my estimated benefit a full retirement @ 2,777 a month. How do i calculate the amount if i want to start taking at 58,62, 65, etc? and where do i account for this in my retirement planning/portfolio?
( remember i just started thinking about this yesterday)

Also need info on Medicare. i have a Pension so i am deciding whether to take the lump sum without any healthcare or the monthly pension with healthcare included. but i didn't want to start another lump sum thread
Old 05-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

There's a page that has a "calculator" on it to calculate what you'll receive. it will ask you what you plan on receiving between now and when you stop working, i put in 0.
Bob_Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:
ok so 1st question...

how does the Social security estimator work if i want to retire early?

im 50m now, thinking of if i going to retire @ 55 or 60.
i just made an account at SS and it shows my estimated benefit a full retirement @ 2,777 a month. How do i calculate the amount if i want to start taking at 58,62, 65, etc? and where do i account for this in my retirement planning/portfolio?
( remember i just started thinking about this yesterday)

Also need info on Medicare. i have a Pension so i am deciding whether to take the lump sum without any healthcare or the monthly pension with healthcare included. but i didn't want to start another lump sum thread
This is a great website. Check Advanced Options at the top. Then, at the bottom...scroll way down, check alternative strategies.
https://opensocialsecurity.com/

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-30-2020, 02:33 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
This is a great website. Check Advanced Options at the top. Then, at the bottom...scroll way down, check alternative strategies.
https://opensocialsecurity.com/
i didnt know what the PIAA was so i left it at 1000
but says dont take until 62/70 so i have to account for those funds from 55-62? or do i consider that a raise at 62? and still trying to find out best for Lump Sum wiht no healthcare or monthly payments with helathcare

where do i got to ee what medicare covers and prices? ACA is basically dead right

You file for your retirement benefit to begin 5/2032, at age 62 and 7 months.
Your spouse files for his/her retirement benefit to begin 6/2038, at age 70 and 0 months.
The present value of this proposed solution would be $417,158.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #13

Quote:
i didnt know what the PIAA was so i left it at 1000
but says dont take until 62/70 so i have to account for those funds from 55-62? or do i consider that a raise at 62? and still trying to find out best for Lump Sum wiht no healthcare or monthly payments with helathcare

where do i got to ee what medicare covers and prices? ACA is basically dead right

You file for your retirement benefit to begin 5/2032, at age 62 and 7 months.
Your spouse files for his/her retirement benefit to begin 6/2038, at age 70 and 0 months.
The present value of this proposed solution would be $417,158.
Your PIA is 2777.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Also, lest we be remiss, one should also have a definitive and universal decision about carrying a mortgage (or not) while retired.

Welcome!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post

Welcome to the boards!
It's the Holy Trinity of RE advice! Or the Third Rail. I'm not sure which

Welcome aboard from the back of the classroom. We are just goofing on ya.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:22 PM   #15

Download the AnyPia calculator from SSA: https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/anypia/anypia.html

This lets you input your earnings for every year you work and estimate the resulting benefit at various retirement ages.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Download the AnyPia calculator from SSA: https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/anypia/anypia.html

This lets you input your earnings for every year you work and estimate the resulting benefit at various retirement ages.
+1. This is by far the most accurate way to determine your benefits. You have to enter each years's SS earnings, and put 0s for the remaining years.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

lol i don't know what i am doing wrong but firecalc has me -7 million for a 0.0 chance of success
Old 06-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #18

Quote:
lol i don't know what i am doing wrong but firecalc has me -7 million for a 0.0 chance of success
I think that means you must keep working for another 150 years.

Seriously, make sure you enter your info correctly, make sure you hit every page, and do NOT use defaults, unless they are really what you intend.

If you have a specific question, most here are happy to assist.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I think that means you must keep working for another 150 years.

Seriously, make sure you enter your info correctly, make sure you hit every page, and do NOT use defaults, unless they are really what you intend.

If you have a specific question, most here are happy to assist.
Pension Income is monthly or yearly in the calculator? when i put in a yearly amount im now 100% i think the spending estimates are confusing to me.

from what i understand estimate what my expenses are now and multiply by 25, correct? that puts us at about 2.5 million. i think with our current 401K (about 1.2m) and my estimated lump sum pension estimator (1-1.3m) we should be ok.

i just dont know about healthcare, taxes, etc.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Pension Income is monthly or yearly in the calculator? when i put in a yearly amount im now 100% i think the spending estimates are confusing to me.

from what i understand estimate what my expenses are now and multiply by 25, correct? that puts us at about 2.5 million. i think with our current 401K (about 1.2m) and my estimated lump sum pension estimator (1-1.3m) we should be ok.

i just dont know about healthcare, taxes, etc.
All income and spending inputs in FC are annual. Sounds like that was your problem.

You do need to account for healthcare and taxes in your spending number. Don't forget to input future SS as well as the pension (in today's dollars), if applicable. It can make a big difference.