Join Early Retirement Today

Early 30s. Evil. Likes kittens.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Early 30s. Evil. Likes kittens.

Sorry.

I've been [expletive deleted] for The [different expletive deleted] Man for a decade now. I'm tired of it, and grouchy, and if I have to keep doing this, I'm going to start writing on the walls in the bathroom stall. Don't worry. It'll be something pleasant, like maybe poetry or bad country music lyrics. And, it'll be in pencil, of course.

I made the decision to go back for an advanced degree on a part-time basis several years ago. Although I've learned a lot by doing it and appreciate the opportunities given to me to do it, I never expected it to help me too much from a career perspective. If all goes well, I'll have that piece of paper later this year. That and the crazy corporate work environment have left me a bit burnt out, causing me to ramble on about it to strangers on message boards throughout the Internet. Don't worry -- not you guys.

No wife. No kids. Such things aren't too important to someone as immature and selfish as I am, although I might be willing to give in to Mrs. Right, if I can steal her away from her husband. I might need to offer financial support to parent/siblings on occasion. It has become less of a concern w/ siblings, but may become a slight concern w/ a parent in a few years. I'll talk to her, and see what's up.

I've managed to save some money -- net worth of about 1/3 of a million, if I've done my math right. I've got some money in a couple single family properties, but going forward, I think owning a small business is a quicker way to get out of the rat race. I know that I've got a lot to learn about investing, saving, etc., on top of the little that I already know.

My biggest goal: I want to comfortably get out of the rat race ASAP, so that I can play ball and talk trash at lunchtime, and not have to worry about The Man and his crazy imagination. I enjoy trash-talk a whole lot, and wish that it was a bigger part of my life. In the short term, I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on pros/cons of partnering up w/ someone to buy an established fast food franchise, if anyone wants to offer. I've honestly never worked in a restaurant, but I do enjoy eating, if that counts for anything. I'm hoping franchise-offered training, the right partner(s) and a good manager could possibly allow me to be an absentee-owner...or at least an absent-minded owner.

Thank you for putting up w/ my profanity-laced post. Please don't expect me to use less profanity going forward. I'll understand if my account is suspended because of all this profanity. Sorry.

I look forward to continued lurking, and occasional participation on this message board, if permitted. Thanks.

I'm a biter.

Groovy
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Groovy, somehow, I suspect you'll fit right in here.
Welcome.
My .02 is that a franchise is a bunch of work, way more than what you spend whiling away the hours for The Man, but I'm pretty lazy.
We're glad to have you! And glad you like kittens!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Groovy, welcome to the board! I agree with Sarah about you fitting in just fine. I hope that's not too disappointing to you

A third of a million is pretty darn good for 30. Keep that up and you'll be able to tell the man whatever you want pretty soon.

Coach
Old 04-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Far-out Groovy....welcome to the forum.

I'm a nibbler...I like corn.

bbbamI
Old 04-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome. You're a pretty funny guy, Mr. G.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the kind welcomes.

Thanks for the insight, Sarah. Not disappointed, Coach.

Groovy
Old 04-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Welcome. You're a pretty funny guy, Mr. G.
_Evil_! Evil guy!

So, is there a Mr. Bestwifeever, Mrs. Bestwifeever?

Groovy
Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
_Evil_! Evil guy!

So, is there a Mr. Bestwifeever, Mrs. Bestwifeever?

Groovy
I thought your hands were full with Mrs. Right....
Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Her full name is Mrs. Right Now. As we in the business say, "Don't hate the player. Hate the game."

I gotta go research dryer sheets now.

Groovy
Old 04-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hi Groovy. I did the grad school at night thing too and it was exhausting. I have similar proclivities with respect to indentured servitude. I finished grad school about your age and am now 37. Were I in your shoes, I would spend some time figuring out the quickest, least painful way to get where you'd like to be. I will go out on a limb and suggest that a franchise will be more work and misery than you would like, especially anything connected with restaurants. Franchisors will tap you for a hefty fee and ongoing royalties, and you will still have to pay all the up front costs and do all the work.

I decided at your age to put my nose to the grindstone and work for the man until I built up a big enough wad. I am pretty close now, but its been a slog. A different path might be better for you, but think about various paths before you choose one. With no wife or kids you have a lot more choices open to you.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the advice, Brewer12345. I do find myself bouncing ideas off of friends all the time. Hopefully the right idea will come along someday soon.

Congratulations on being pretty close at age 37. Looks like your approach has been worth it for you.

Groovy
Old 04-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

A relative of my souse-whoops-spouse has a franchise restaurant. It has not been easy, and I am not remotely jealous.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks, Polamalou, et al.

Based on your thoughts, it sounds like I'll be considering established, independently-owned businesses. W/ so many people retiring this decade, I'm sure there are, and will be, lots of opportunities to buy good businesses from such people.

If you hear of anything, let me know. Please understand, though, that I'm only relatively smart and relatively stupid, and I'm not as hard-working as I used to be. I also don't have any people skills, darn it! I'm mostly coasting on my good looks these days, so it'd have to be the right kind of business.

Good luck in your march towards 2015.

Groovy
Old 04-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

ha ha ha Groovy now that is how you make an entrance onto a new board. Maybe you will have part time work in comedy after you FIRE?
ChadR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Groovy,
Welcome.
Regarding franchises or any business: The thing I heard that made the most sense is--go work in one. It's the cheapest, fastest, most thorough way to learn exactly how the business works, what the friction points are, and maybe how you could improve things. You'll gain insight you'll never get from the folks selling the business/franchise or from other owners. Owners may be very honest with you and give you the straight poop, but there's nothing like seeing how the sausage is made from the inside to educate you. I'd think this especially important if one had any plans to be an absentee owner.

Best of luck!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Money is a highly serious matter. If your special talent is comedy, might should keep drawing that paycheck.

Ha
Old 04-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Money is a highly serious matter. If your special talent is comedy, might should keep drawing that paycheck.

Ha
Yup. Keep the day job.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks, Samclem. I've heard that advice from multiple sources. A challenge in that scenario is that as an owner of any business I'd plan to buy, I'd have employees who I wouldn't be able to pay as well as I'm being paid at my current job. So, I'd have to be financially comfortable enough to give up significant pay before being prepared to put down a significant amount of money for a type of business that I might decide not to buy. But, maybe I could do it as a weekend thing when I have more time on my hands. It gives me something to think about. Thanks.

Haha and Purron, at the risk of making a fool of myself again, I view money and comedy as two means towards finding two things that I feel I need -- time and people around me who can tolerate my jokes. Making good money and making good comedy are often challenging endeavors for people and usually require lots of education, training, luck, experiences, role models, money, etc.

Neither making money nor making comedy is my "special talent", and I'm better and worse than others at both. Sometimes people choose to be annoyed w/ the latter. I know that asset allocation, 401K contributions, tax considerations, interest rates, wills, umbrella insurance plans, annuities, etc. are important considerations towards my goals, and that's why I read and try to understand information on lots of threads that aren't my "Hi, I am..." thread.

From the posts of yours that I've read, I obviously won't claim to know even half as much about money as either one of you. And, I'll probably stand for you jumping on my "Hi, I am..." thread, and belittling my _awesome_ humor, so...moving on...

I guess what Samclem and Haha are getting at is that I probably can't just be an absentee-owner of a business where I could rely on and trust employees to automatically get the job done -- that I would probably have to have/develop the skill set to do the job myself, if I expect to be successful. Point taken. Thanks. I intend to keep drawing that paycheck as long as I can and need to.

Groovy
Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

the dream of being a small business owner who comes in at 10, goes to lunch with his secretary for 2 hours, comes back to eat his lunch at his desk, rolls out at 3 and banks a couple hundred thousand a year is likened to the communist who believes "come the revolution they will be the one lounging around party headquarters holding a clipboard."

small business in america is tough. DW has a small business, and it is a lot of work. I estimate she makes around $10/hr with all the time she puts into it. it can be profitable, but I wouldn't expect to just sink 40 hours a week into it.

good luck, and it seems you are well on your way. like brewer, I am just keeping my nose to megacorp's grind stone until i reach my magic number.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

I saw the word kittens and had to reply. I'm new here, looking forward to reading some more crazy posts like this one!
delaford321 is offline   Reply With Quote