Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I’d be clearing out the personal effects (from my office) as we speak. There is no question...here..

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

Thank you everyone for the kind responses.

To answer a couple questions, my work uses the seniority system and, while I won't be in danger of a layoff, there are others below me who are. In fact, one of the reasons behind the early-out package was supposedly to lessen the odds of furlough if enough senior people came off the top of the list.

It is funny, I have been following a work thread where various people chime in with their rationale. We have mandatory retirement at 65 and I'd estimate that only 10% of the respondents are leaving. The vast majority say they can't make the numbers work even 2-3 years early, the youngest commenter was 58; I am thankful to be in a different position.

The leading negative comments revolve around a lack of bankruptcy protection if our company goes Ch11 before the 3 years of payments are made. I'm willing to take the risk. While it would be a bummer, I'd still be okay.

Will be making the official decision soon. Thanks again for the kind comments.
kch130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I don’t understand the logic of others worrying about lack of bankruptcy protection. If the company declares bankruptcy, they are probably out of a job as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch130 View Post
Thank you everyone for the kind responses.

To answer a couple questions, my work uses the seniority system and, while I won't be in danger of a layoff, there are others below me who are. In fact, one of the reasons behind the early-out package was supposedly to lessen the odds of furlough if enough senior people came off the top of the list.

It is funny, I have been following a work thread where various people chime in with their rationale. We have mandatory retirement at 65 and I'd estimate that only 10% of the respondents are leaving. The vast majority say they can't make the numbers work even 2-3 years early, the youngest commenter was 58; I am thankful to be in a different position.

The leading negative comments revolve around a lack of bankruptcy protection if our company goes Ch11 before the 3 years of payments are made. I'm willing to take the risk. While it would be a bummer, I'd still be okay.

Will be making the official decision soon. Thanks again for the kind comments.
Rowej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowej View Post
I don’t understand the logic of others worrying about lack of bankruptcy protection. If the company declares bankruptcy, they are probably out of a job as well.
And probably with no special package.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:43 AM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. I would take it. Those who dont take it may eventually be targeted for layoff or termination. At this point you cant trust them anymore to be a soild employer till you decide to go on your own.
Gavin60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Take it! That is a nice severance! It doesn't mean you don't work in the future at something you really want to do and the hours you want to do it! I'm sure you will feel mentally very good about it!
BarbH29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Take the package - don't over analyze. You will thank me 12 months from now.

Congrats!
+1
Old 07-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #28

always take the first bus. each package offered later will be progressively less valuable. Lots of cake and tears with first bus. Not so with the later exits. Just go.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:11 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Take it and run, no deal better than that....
LimaPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:27 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch130 View Post
Hello All,

52, DINK, always had an unwritten goal to FIRE in the 53-55 timeframe.

Due to COVID, my company just announced an early-out package. Three years at 2/3 pay plus two years of no-cost healthcare. I must decide in two weeks to apply for this or not.

After building a spreadsheet, the numbers are close to a wash whether I stay to 53 (and work hard) or go now. The greatest hit is in lost future savings; about $160K before growth. I made the "mistake" in also comparing the early-out to instead staying and working 2/3 the hours until age 56. That's over $400K in lost savings plus the value of not touching funds until later.

Our monthly expenses are $6500 and we have $3.4M across all accounts, mostly 401k and a mix of Roth & Traditional IRA. I have a small pension that will kick in immediately plus a USAF pension & TriCare that start at age 60.

My biggest concerns are with buying healthcare from age 54-59 (which adds aprox. $1200/mo to our budget), learning about tax strategy, and paying for pop-ups, like a kitchen remodel or a new roof. The other one is that simple, but human, desire to not screw up such an important decision.

All of my reading and FIREcalc trials indicate I'm good to go, yet, now that the moment is at hand I am mildly overwhelmed at the reality of the moment I've dreamed of actually being here. On the other hand, I feel mentally ready and do hope this proves to be the right choice.

I would appreciate any advice. While I thought I was prepared for this, I suddenly feel like there is so much I don't know.
If you are a veteran, get your health care at the local VA facility. I have been doing that for the last 9 years and I have no complaints.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:34 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

My DH suggests you might consider taking the package and if you're concerned about not being able to add to your nest egg for a few years, it might be time to take another job--something you'll enjoy doing, of course. It's not bad to have a "coast out" position to end up your working years.
Maidensong is offline   Reply With Quote
Time doesn’t wait
Old 07-19-2020, 03:01 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Time doesn’t wait

Sounds like a really good deal ~ if ER is the goal the sooner the better - take it! Understand the mental but you’ve prepared thought over & over now it’s your best opportunity- Many here pulled the plug early 50’s ~ some earlier few little later - Time won’t wait
Live Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Grab it fast before they change their minds or they reach the target employee take level.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I would be adding my official last day to the Class of 2020 thread if I were in your shoes. Good luck with whatever you decide but I’d take that generous package.
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you're taunting us. ;-)
I'm 59.5 and still working (two kids and college).
TAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dadu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #36

I was in a similar position - pushed out at 52 with a big package that really bridged to my mental out date of 55-56. I’m now 60 and have loved the last eight years, no question. The downside was it not being my choice. The upside was a gold-plated package. It seems to me you have the best of both: you can make the positive decision to take the offer and fly free.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote