Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Early out crossroads
Old 07-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Early out crossroads

Hello All,

52, DINK, always had an unwritten goal to FIRE in the 53-55 timeframe.

Due to COVID, my company just announced an early-out package. Three years at 2/3 pay plus two years of no-cost healthcare. I must decide in two weeks to apply for this or not.

After building a spreadsheet, the numbers are close to a wash whether I stay to 53 (and work hard) or go now. The greatest hit is in lost future savings; about $160K before growth. I made the "mistake" in also comparing the early-out to instead staying and working 2/3 the hours until age 56. That's over $400K in lost savings plus the value of not touching funds until later.

Our monthly expenses are $6500 and we have $3.4M across all accounts, mostly 401k and a mix of Roth & Traditional IRA. I have a small pension that will kick in immediately plus a USAF pension & TriCare that start at age 60.

My biggest concerns are with buying healthcare from age 54-59 (which adds aprox. $1200/mo to our budget), learning about tax strategy, and paying for pop-ups, like a kitchen remodel or a new roof. The other one is that simple, but human, desire to not screw up such an important decision.

All of my reading and FIREcalc trials indicate I'm good to go, yet, now that the moment is at hand I am mildly overwhelmed at the reality of the moment I've dreamed of actually being here. On the other hand, I feel mentally ready and do hope this proves to be the right choice.

I would appreciate any advice. While I thought I was prepared for this, I suddenly feel like there is so much I don't know.
kch130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Take the package - don't over analyze. You will thank me 12 months from now.

Congrats!
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would take it.
If you are good to go now, 3 years of 2/3 pay and paid health care for 2 of those, seems like the cherry on top!
Old 07-03-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It would be worth it to me to take the package. You are financially ready.

Key for me is you said you are mentally ready. That's important.

Let us know what you decide.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Early out crossroads
Old 07-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #5

Early out crossroads

What are the odds the employer will eventually have forced layoffs?

Usually the first severance package is the best. It would be a bummer to stay and then be laid off later with a worse package.

Edit to add: your numbers look good. I would have been gone a long time ago!
Old 07-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #6

I'd be outta there. DH took a package at 54 and then went back as a consultant for a few hours a day for ~10 years. He was recovering from cancer, so the timing was perfect.

Good luck on your decision. It sounds like you're ready.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Wow, great package. Like some have commented they may offer this cut deeper with lay offs and you get nothing.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:41 AM   #8

You probably realize that you are asking a group of people self-selected for having chosen earlier retirement than most. Of course we're going to tell you to go for it.

That said, the package you've been offered is much better than most of those I've seen. I first asked this question here at age 53, and even though my assets were significantly less than yours and my package included 9 months of pay rather than your 2 years I got similarly enthusiastic recommendations to bail.

and I hemmed and hawed and waited another 2 years before going... and now at 60 wish I had left when everyone said (or even earlier).
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

You should be just fine! If you are ready then go for it!!
Dragomira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would take the package. Another way to put this, if you were to continue to work, your incremental increase is 1/3 of your current salary.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

In my case, the first year the employer offered generous buyouts, the second year, all they got was the boot. With 3.4M, I'd go now. There is a whole new world out there and you are young enough to have a whole second post working life.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch130 View Post
I would appreciate any advice. While I thought I was prepared for this, I suddenly feel like there is so much I don't know.
Can you get another job in 2 years? Maybe with healthcare? If so, it could be a back up plan. I think it is a great package.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #13

My post is # 13 on this thread. Here's my suggestion: Read and heed Post #'s 2 -12.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch130 View Post
Hello All,

52, DINK, always had an unwritten goal to FIRE in the 53-55 timeframe.

Due to COVID, my company just announced an early-out package. Three years at 2/3 pay plus two years of no-cost healthcare. I must decide in two weeks to apply for this or not.

After building a spreadsheet, the numbers are close to a wash whether I stay to 53 (and work hard) or go now. The greatest hit is in lost future savings; about $160K before growth. I made the "mistake" in also comparing the early-out to instead staying and working 2/3 the hours until age 56. That's over $400K in lost savings plus the value of not touching funds until later.

Our monthly expenses are $6500 and we have $3.4M across all accounts, mostly 401k and a mix of Roth & Traditional IRA. I have a small pension that will kick in immediately plus a USAF pension & TriCare that start at age 60.

My biggest concerns are with buying healthcare from age 54-59 (which adds aprox. $1200/mo to our budget), learning about tax strategy, and paying for pop-ups, like a kitchen remodel or a new roof. The other one is that simple, but human, desire to not screw up such an important decision.

All of my reading and FIREcalc trials indicate I'm good to go, yet, now that the moment is at hand I am mildly overwhelmed at the reality of the moment I've dreamed of actually being here. On the other hand, I feel mentally ready and do hope this proves to be the right choice.

Reserves? Although relatively small USAF pension compared to active, you have seemed to amass a large investment portfolio. My recommendation wo
uld be to take take the offer and run and run fast. Congrats, you have already won my friend.
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

$1,200 per month for wealth insurance is simply the price of freedom to do what you want. That's a pretty good package and you have plenty of $$$$.. I'd take it.

Change is hard and you are veering outside of your comfort zone... that is perfectly normal.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #16

Sounds like you've thought it through and, like many of us were, are just a bit hesitant to take such a definitive step. With the package plus your assets plus your plan to ER in the next couple of years anyway, sounds to me like it's time to put your name in the Class of 2020 thread!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:46 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Try not to scream YIPPEE on your way out the door. Those years of your life are worth way more than any amount of lost income.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I would take the package, and don’t have nearly as much saved up. You never know if things really get worse, they may have layoffs and not be able to offer packages.
Rowej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:01 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Just do it. Congrats.
AreWeThereYet0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:04 PM   #20

I'd take it in a heartbeat and have a lot less assets. Go!
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote