Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepto View Post
Will check VRBO, would be a great pain-saver for me to get in contact with an anglosaxian owner / landlord, when (if..) trying to establish myself in a latin-country.
No guarantee that you'll get and English speaking landlord or owner

In Guadalupe, in Martinique, and in Spain, my wife had to do all the communication in French or Spanish (including when we actually arrived and met the owners).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Duty-free upon arrival
Old 03-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Duty-free upon arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
You could retire as a pensioner in Costa Rica with $1000 per month minimum and get a residency visa. If I was single that's what I would do........surf all day, drink all night.........
When investigating prospect-countries, to start a new life in, I like to check out the hipermercados. Found this in Costa Rica.

Bienvenido a Auto Mercado

Seems as wine are not Costa Ricas strongest attraction, when comparing with Argentine, South Africa, Australia, Uruguay, Chile.

However, this is just one out of many variables. A minor one. I guess access to sweetwater, pacific- and caribeean fishing would be of greater importance for me.

On the net I found traces of duty-free goods shopping upon ARRIVAL in Costa Rica. Not common.. and they mention wines + cuban cigarres.
Pepto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
No guarantee that you'll get and English speaking landlord or owner

In Guadalupe, in Martinique, and in Spain, my wife had to do all the communication in French or Spanish (including when we actually arrived and met the owners).

Money are the real lingua franca. In Costa Del Sol they want to be latin, but reallity force those catering non-latin (90%) expats to produce at least some part of the deal in a mutual understood language.

Foolish as I was.. I didnt protest when singning some documents in spanish, which I had to regret later. Water, Endesa (electricity) meter-readings was manipulated, lost aprx 50 - 100 eur.

Costa del sol landlords know every trick, and a few moore, how to earn some extra pesetas when making long term contracts.

Owner-direct seem more thrustworthy

Ps. Endesa of Spain are a nightmare to communicate with.. Ds.
Pepto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have rented several housed over the years using vrbo. The houses we rent can be a little pricey since they are in a surfing/turisty area. However, we rented a huge 4 story house with a bad ass outdoor living area last summer for 2K per month which I didn't think was that bad for what the house was. Had a separate appartment on the first floor and a lookout deck on the fourth. House slept 10. All the houses we have rented were owned by gringos so Spanish was not a problem. Stuff is much cheaper in the Central Valley I think.
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I understand early retirement from a fruitful career. I'm not sure I understand early retirement before a real career path is actually entered.

Can someone explain what one does when one retires so very early from the work world?

Z
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I understand early retirement from a fruitful career. I'm not sure I understand early retirement before a real career path is actually entered.

Can someone explain what one does when one retires so very early from the work world?

Z
I think Pepto's reasons for retiring at such a young age are not the sort of reasons most of us would like to retire for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepto View Post
Medical, severe stress / "chronic" post-traumatic, in current habitate. Crime victim (commited by a psykopath, protected from prosecution by goverment claiming neuropsychiatric handicap)

I "won" after a half decade of debacle / juridical nightmare, in which the goverment booth represented me and IT-self. A tragic flaw in the system, lost my health + faith in society.

When living somewhere else, no stress. Are ex-military. Faith in the society wich to serve are crucial for motivation when working.

Though I am guaranteed full retirement until 65, when I become age-retired, I will be able (if I want) to work at least part-time within a few years. But doubt I will.

Yes, disability. handicap, no.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

So this is like the witness protection program? A forced retirement to be escaped from something?

Z
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
india australia mexico