Join Early Retirement Today

Early Retiree Wants to Express Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Early Retiree Wants to Express Thanks

This intro is long overdue. Not because I am generally active on forums or feel I can contribute a lot here, but because I owe many on this board a debt of gratitude. I had long planned on retiring early, even telling people when I started working in a ‘career’ that it was 20 years and out. But it was the last 5 years while working-the serious stage-that made it possible. I read, or rather devoured, everything on this site. I was here on a daily basis for about 3 of those last 5 years and that learning process, and the confidence that goes with knowing, was what allowed me to pull the trigger. I will note that one thing I failed to understand was why waffles were placed on rabbit heads-never did get that one

I retired at 45, 3 glorious years ago next month. I do not miss work at all. That was not so much a surprise but what did surprise was that there is still not enough time to get everything done I want to. But it sure feels better that what I do get done is what is important to me.

Nothing special here. LBYM, always pay yourself first, the more you save the sooner you get to retire, the earlier you want to retire the more important savings rate is to investment returns, debt is bad (don't want to start a debate on my first post so that’s just my opinion). Speaking of debts I also owe one to the Bogleheads forum specifically for the detailed investment side and to Early Retirement Extreme (which I haven't followed for a few years now) for a change in perspective and the passion to focus on the expense side of things.

Personal info-currently 48, retired at 45. Long-time GF who is on the final stages of her own early retirement - less than 4 years to go for her to pull the trigger at 46. Moved to lower cost of living area. No children.

I have always been aggressive on equities in my asset allocation with around 90% while working-less if counting emergency fund. A paid off house and a very secure job made that a little safer as well. The key was to never change the allocation – I never sold any equities in a down market. 2000 and 2008 were not fun but not selling I recovered nicely.

AA is still equity heavy 75/25, with 3 years cash living expenses set aside. Slowly drifting toward 70/30 (by age 50) and 60/40 (by age 60). Been slow here for several reasons: still young so long horizon, bond yields so low, GF still working so backup income if needed to not spend down in bear market, ability and skill set to go back to W O R K if needed [don't your profanity filters screen that word out ]

So again, thanks. The time and effort you guys spend on these Boards are really helpful for others. And for me personally it has meant a new beginning. The ability to do what I have always wanted to, even when that is nothing, is priceless.

Gresh
Gresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations! I suspect that you are one of many silent fans of the site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations on your intro and ER.
Can't help you with the rabbit waffle thing.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Congratulations on your intro and ER.
Can't help you with the rabbit waffle thing.
+1 Congrats. Sounds like you are in a good spot. First time I've heard of waffles on rabbit heads - I'm sure someone will clarify.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! Always happy to see a fellow retiree who got out at age 45 like I did.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
I will note that one thing I failed to understand was why waffles were placed on rabbit heads-never did get that one

Gresh
Gresh, the reason you never got it was the bunny topping was pancakes, not waffles...

Truth is, it started with this thread in 2005 http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ver-16904.html and the thread starter had a pet bunny. Photos of animals with stuff on their heads became a running joke, especially hares with Bisquick hats.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ead-32248.html
Old 04-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Ah.... I see. Pre-dates my join date by a lot so that explains why it was such a mystery.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #8

This might fill in some blanks for those of you who weren't here 'way back when'...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...org-53657.html
Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

Hehe- I remember the original threads-that was the time period (2006ish) when I started hanging around although it was 2007-08 when I got serious. The lighter side of the board here was a big attraction-a nice respite from serious financial planning and learning and fretting. Still nice to see lots of people from back then still around and posting.

Gresh
Gresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Well said Gresh! I only stumbled onto this site in the last six months and I have learned so much. I visit daily and frequently still have to go to the acronym list to look up things (though less frequently than when I first got here!) My only regret is that I didn't stumble over here 20 years ago.

I probably won't get to retire as early as I would like, but at least I have a PLAN in place to get me to retirement in my early 60s. And because of this site, my 20 year old DS opened his first Roth IRA this year and has to listen to mom lecture him on:

- LBYM
- Invest early and often. Time is your friend.
- Invest in broad index funds with very low expense ratios
- Avoid debt
- Read and LEARN about investing and money management. Be your own money expert. There are sharks in the financial industry world, and they want your money! I bought him Millionaire Teacher off Amazon as a starting point!

Congrats on your early, successful ER! Glad you are enjoying your life.
Live Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #11

I've seen the pancake (or waffle) on the head of a bunny on other message boards - typically to indicate you have no idea what the person is talking about. Some are even captioned that way.

Here are some I downloaded close to a decade ago.

rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Free View Post
My only regret is that I didn't stumble over here 20 years ago.
You would have had to wait a few years for the rest of us to show up - the forum didn't exist until June of 2002. The first post: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...oat-13853.html
Old 04-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice introduction Gresh. This site is amazing!