Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another retired engineer and so is DH. We both do a lot of photography, some video. He spends a lot of time writing and running scripts to generate web pages, etc., for his photos - so he still uses some of his programming skills that way. He also taught himself fine art printing which is pretty technical. But he is outdoors taking pictures all the time - something not possible when he was programming all day at work. I spend plenty of time playing with advanced tools for photo and video processing on my computer - that stuff is pretty technical. All our equipment is pretty technical. I spend a lot of time outdoors too. In my first few years I caught up with a bunch of natural science that I didn't have time to learn in college - both formally (courses) and informally.

The world (Internet) is your oyster!

We both love to travel, and travel never got old. We kept changing how we travel. We don't travel quite as much as we did the first 10 years of retirement, but we still love it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We both love to travel, and travel never got old. We kept changing how we travel. We don't travel quite as much as we did the first 10 years of retirement, but we still love it.
audreyh1, I am curious about what you meant when you said "We kept changing how we travel" How did you do that? We have been looking at some "slow travel" websites, and thinking about that, maybe spending a month or two at a time, but keeping expenses low" Looking at maybe Paris this coming spring, and see that there are possibilities of renting rooms in peoples apartments, they even will show you their favorite spots if you want. Never tried this before.

Would love to hear about what you suggest and how you changed how you traveled to keep it interesting.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I'm kind of like an engineer- used to do digital mapping/gps. Now working 2 days a week, I spend the other 5 days doing home projects, woodworking, photography, hiking, biking, and brewing beer. I do a lot of "exploring" through travel and the internet to support my hobbies. Also looking into getting back into high tech, doing some mapping apps, but so far haven't found the time. Like others have said, there are a lot of things to keep a retired engineer busy.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

While I'm not an engineer, the solution to your quandary seem simple to me. If you are concerned about a lack of projects & deadlines - create some.

My first couple of years in retirement were quickly consumed with household projects/renovations. Not being overly "handy," I enjoyed learning the BASICS of tiling, plumbing and construction. I imagine an "engineer" (depending on the type) might also enjoy this type of activity.

My current project is the restoration of a car that I've wanted since childhood... a "series" land rover. An ideal "engineer's" car, these old vehicles are essentially big erector-sets. They are simply (but ruggedly) constructed and made to be field stripped in the jungle with just a wrench & screwdriver. They are fairly inexpensive, have a well stocked parts supply and (like the FIRE group) enjoy a friendly community of 'blokes' anxious to help with advice and support. As a benefit... if you enjoy "slow travel," there are few things on the road slower

Whatever you choose as a "project" simply enjoy the freedom of choosing your own
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Landy Front.jpg (397.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Landy Side.jpg (319.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (595.3 KB, 21 views)
Seeking Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Hobbes View Post
..... If you are concerned about a lack of projects & deadlines - create some...........
Good suggestion. I've been having fun messing around with an old fiberglass camping trailer and I even get to camp in it between upgrades.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...If you are concerned about a lack of projects & deadlines - create some.....
DW is a natural at doing that very thing..... even when she has plenty of in process projects to begin with.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
While I'm not an engineer, the solution to your quandary seem simple to me. If you are concerned about a lack of projects & deadlines - create some.

My first couple of years in retirement were quickly consumed with household projects/renovations. Not being overly "handy," I enjoyed learning the BASICS of tiling, plumbing and construction. I imagine an "engineer" (depending on the type) might also enjoy this type of activity.

My current project is the restoration of a car that I've wanted since childhood... a "series" land rover. An ideal "engineer's" car, these old vehicles are essentially big erector-sets. They are simply (but ruggedly) constructed and made to be field stripped in the jungle with just a wrench & screwdriver. They are fairly inexpensive, have a well stocked parts supply and (like the FIRE group) enjoy a friendly community of 'blokes' anxious to help with advice and support. As a benefit... if you enjoy "slow travel," there are few things on the road slower

Whatever you choose as a "project" simply enjoy the freedom of choosing your own
Nice Land Rover....Series II (early 60's?). Gas or diesel?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Nice Land Rover....Series II (early 60's?). Gas or diesel?
Thanks!... it's a '66 Series 2A petrol.
I'm almost finished with her restoration - if anyone is really ever finished, that is
Seeking Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would like to thank everyone for taking your time to respond, and for your very encouraging comments. I am hoping to join you all in this retirement adventure well before the middle of next year.

My only issue right now is that I have been put in the middle of part of a needed product upgrade, and I don't want to let anyone down by bailing on them. These are all my personal friends as well as colleagues, and everyone has always been good to me there. Unfortunately, my heart is no longer in it as it was before. I don't know why, maybe it is just the "been there done that" thing. But I just have to get myself psyched up for the next two or three months, get it done and working well, I have already told them I will be winding down next year, then start the party.

Some of you talked about being open to getting involved with new engineering projects as they might arise. Maybe things will change a few years (or months) into retirement, but right now I don't feel the urge to get involved in any more embedded engineering projects, that used to so excite me so, even if they come along.

Right now I think that I want to try something completely different. One is to learn a foreign language (or two), something that I have always failed miserably at before. I am always amazed by Europeans that I meet, they all seem to speak a multitude of languages, and their English is usually better than mine! But I think I need to have the time to concentrate on it, and this w*rk thing for me is so intense it seems to block out my concentration on other things.

Again I want to thank everyone who has commented here, everyone here is so kind and interesting, feel I wish I could meet you all in person.

Thanks again and the best of luck to all of you!