English in exchange for Spanish

vicente solano

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I´ve been an asiduous reader of American crime fiction for more than 30 years and a continuing student of this language, which, by the way, expalins my not so fluent English. I´d be more than glad to help anybody interested in Spanish.
I´m very much interested in early retiree hobbies.

Ola Vicente. I have been considering taking Rosetta Stone's beginning Espanol classes. The problem is that it is difficult to get a chance to practice in the US so it is hard to get a reasonable level of proficiency.

Ola Vicente. I have been considering taking Rosetta Stone's beginning Espanol classes. The problem is that it is difficult to get a chance to practice in the US so it is hard to get a reasonable level of proficiency.
I would have thought that there are many Hispanics in the US. for you to speak ti. For that reason at least 2 of your presidential candidates made speeches in Spanish during the last campaign!
If you want to have an idea of your level you can PM me and I´ll grade you free of charge Ha Ha!

Vicente,
You say that you would be glad to help anyone interested in Spanish. Do you mean reading and writing or listening and speaking? If the latter, how would you do that? What part of what country do you live in?

Check your local Community College - I think ours has a program where you volunteer to go in and speak with people who want to practice their conversational English. I'd assume many of these are Spanish speaking, so I'm sure you could get some time in in the Spanish/English direction.

I also recall that someone on another forum was interested in learning other languages, and there are places on the internet you can do this - you just have chat sessions (written or audio these days, I guess), with people anywhere in the world to practice language both ways.

-ERD50

Vicente,
You say that you would be glad to help anyone interested in Spanish. Do you mean reading and writing or listening and speaking? If the latter, how would you do that? What part of what country do you live in?
I don´t know how to do the speaking and listening either, so it´ll have to be the reading and writing, posting or PMing. I live in Galicia, Northwest Spain.

I don´t know how to do the speaking and listening either, so it´ll have to be the reading and writing, posting or PMing. I live in Galicia, Northwest Spain.

Vicente: ?Y que con la programa que se llama "Skype?" Puedes ver y hablar con su estudiantes! (Es seguro que yo nesesito mas lecciones!) Okay, there's my attempt at resurrecting my high school Spanish.

Vicente: ?Y que con la programa que se llama "Skype?" Puedes ver y hablar con su estudiantes! (Es seguro que yo nesesito mas lecciones!) Okay, there's my attempt at resurrecting my high school Spanish.
Hi! Your Spanish is quite good taking into account that it´s a case of resurrection! Be careful with genders, plurals and singular, though.
Sorry but I don´t know how Skype works.
By the way, are you Japanese?

Hi! Your Spanish is quite good taking into account that it´s a case of resurrection! Be careful with genders, plurals and singular, though.
Sorry but I don´t know how Skype works.
By the way, are you Japanese?

Nihonjin nai desu yo! Dakedo, nihon ni sunde imasu! (Not Japanese, but I live here and study Japanese every day!) Nai nichi nihingo no benkyo shite imasu! :blush:

?Mira ud.? Tengo dificuldades con dos lenguajes! Soy un Americano que vive en Japon y, por supuesto, estududiando Japonese. Pero no quiero olvidar mi "primero segundo" lenguaje: Espanol! Okay, this is killing me! I just really bought into this invitation to Spanish because I lived in San Diego for 25 years studied Spanish and don't want to forget it. So, yeah, need help with genders, plurals, etc. puedes ver cuando te escribo. Ayudame! :greetings10:

I'm betting other early-retirement.org users know Skype. It is a simple, peer-to-peer (computer-to-computer) video teleconference that lets me and the kids talk to Dad in Pennsylvania while we're living in Japan. You just need a computer, microphone, and video camera. I talk to folks in San Diego all the time on Skype. Go to skype.com.

Vicente-san, Supein-go o hanishite kurete arigatou gozaimasu! (Thank you for helping me keep up with my Spanish!)

Nihonjin nai desu yo! Dakedo, nihon ni sunde imasu! (Not Japanese, but I live here and study Japanese every day!) Nai nichi nihingo no benkyo shite imasu! :blush:

?Mira ud.? Tengo dificuldades con dos lenguajes! Soy un Americano que vive en Japon y, por supuesto, estududiando Japonese. Pero no quiero olvidar mi "primero segundo" lenguaje: Espanol! Okay, this is killing me! I just really bought into this invitation to Spanish because I lived in San Diego for 25 years studied Spanish and don't want to forget it. So, yeah, need help with genders, plurals, etc. puedes ver cuando te escribo. Ayudame! :greetings10:

I'm betting other early-retirement.org users know Skype. It is a simple, peer-to-peer (computer-to-computer) video teleconference that lets me and the kids talk to Dad in Pennsylvania while we're living in Japan. You just need a computer, microphone, and video camera. I talk to folks in San Diego all the time on Skype. Go to skype.com.

Vicente-san, Supein-go o hanishite kurete arigatou gozaimasu! (Thank you for helping me keep up with my Spanish!)
Hi there!
1. Mira Ud.? I don´t know what you mean by that. It´s Japonés not Japoneso.
2. It´s "primer segundo" lenguaje. It´s puedes "verlo" cuando....
3. It´s Español. Could be you don´t have the "ñ" in your keyboard?
I´ll check out that web site.
Regards.

Last edited:
Hi there!
1. Mira Ud.? I don´t know what you mean by that. It´s Japonés not Japoneso.
2. It´s "primer segundo" lenguaje. It´s puedes "verlo" cuando....
3. It´s Español. Could be you don´t have the "ñ" in your keyboard?
I´ll check out that web site.
Regards.

Check. Got it.
Ugh. I still have a loooong way to go... :( On the tilda (y un asento), though: No se que hacerlo. Como hace ud.? Let me say I think it's great that you are offering to help everyone and really appreciate you helping me. (Porque aqui no hay muchas personas que hablan Espanol.) So, okay today's lesson, proper usage of "por" y "para!" :greetings10:

Yes, check out Skype! There are literally millions of users. I use it to stay in contact with family and friends from San Diego to Pennsylvania. Video and audio calls Skype to Skype are free. Skype calls to commercial lines equate to about 2 cents a minute. And, over-the-horizon teachers use it to-- get this -- teach! It's a great tool.:cell:

(BTW: How do you add the tilda and accents to your characters. Bet you can you access from a standard keyboard, just never done that. :blush:)

Check. Got it.
Ugh. I still have a loooong way to go... :( On the tilda (y un asento), though: No se que hacerlo. Como hace ud.? Let me say I think it's great that you are offering to help everyone and really appreciate you helping me. (Porque aqui no hay muchas personas que hablan Espanol.) So, okay today's lesson, proper usage of "por" y "para!" :greetings10:

Yes, check out Skype! There are literally millions of users. I use it to stay in contact with family and friends from San Diego to Pennsylvania. Video and audio calls Skype to Skype are free. Skype calls to commercial lines equate to about 2 cents a minute. And, over-the-horizon teachers use it to-- get this -- teach! It's a great tool.:cell:

(BTW: How do you add the tilda and accents to your characters. Bet you can you access from a standard keyboard, just never done that. :blush:)
Hi! For the time being I´m more interested in finding some chat rooms where I can do the same thing I´m doing here. But I´ll have Skype in the back burner.
!. It´´s "tilde" and "accent".
2. It´s no sé que "hacer".
3. We can be on first name basis, so address me as "tú"
4. In the context, it´s more correct to say "hablen" Español.
5. Write a few sentences with "por" and "para" so I can show you how to use them.
6. I access the accents by tapping on the second key on the right of the "l". Well...that´s in my keyboard, that has the "ñ".
Spanish is a piece of cake compared to Japanese!

Gracias por la ayuda! Ahora, es 12:35 por la manana... Tengo mucho sueno, pero quiero responder luego. Todavia, es magnifico que tu tienes interes en otras personas que quieren hablar tu lengauje!! (Bet that whole line is gonna hurt me! :greetings10:) Vicente, I really appreciate your interest in helping others speak Spanish! Mo, Nijongo wa totemo muzukashii desu! Yes, Japanese is difficult, too. (Well, for me... our 5-year-old is a master already.) :facepalm:

One day at the police department a guy asked a Hispanic officer how he said "restroom". The officer looked him square in the eye and said, "Restroom."

A friend I worked with at megacorp was enjoying a burrito for lunch. She looked at me and said, "I wonder what the Spanish word for burrito is?"

:facepalm:

I know just enough Spanish to get myself into trouble....

One day at the police department a guy asked a Hispanic officer how he said "restroom". The officer looked him square in the eye and said, "Restroom."

A friend I worked with at megacorp was enjoying a burrito for lunch. She looked at me and said, "I wonder what the Spanish word for burrito is?"

:facepalm:

I know just enough Spanish to get myself into trouble....
In a sense it wasn´t such a foolish question your friend asked ´cause most Spaniards don´t know what burrito means in that context. The same happens to tacos, which BTW means "rude words" in Spanish. But I´m sure this you already knew.

What does burrito mean to Spaniards? Little donkey/burro? :)

One thing we all learn from living in Texas is that just because someone is Hispanic does not mean they actually speak any Spanish. I know a lot of people named Sanchez and Martinez who can't speak a word of Spanish.

Plus, after generations of being surrounded by English speaking culture, a lot of Hispanics who grew up in Spanish speaking households use a lot of slang words that aren't in any Spanish-to-English dictionary. Around here people parque el troque rather than estaciona la camioneta, we go to eat lonche and not almuerzo, and our floors are covered with a carpeta rather than an alfombre.

And then there is Spanglish, which is a random smattering of English, Spanish and American slang Spanish all thrown in together by people who don't speak Spanish very well. A radio station will give a traffic report by saying, "Hay un choque just west of I-10 and Beltway exchange, tiene cuidado alli." Or, to steal a bit from George Lopez, "Sabes que tia? I went to the store to buy those zapatos that I liked, pero estaban gone! Todo! Estaban todo sold out!

One thing we all learn from living in Texas is that just because someone is Hispanic does not mean they actually speak any Spanish. I know a lot of people named Sanchez and Martinez who can't speak a word of Spanish.
Absolutely. Adding to that, if they have Hispanic features they are not necessarily Hispanic. The color of my eyes, hair and dark skin tone causes some people to immediately start speaking to me in Spanish.

I know some Spanish, but when it comes to my work at the police department, I let someone else handle that responsibility.
And then there is Spanglish, which is a random smattering of English, Spanish and American slang Spanish all thrown in together by people who don't speak Spanish very well. A radio station will give a traffic report by saying, "Hay un choque just west of I-10 and Beltway exchange, tiene cuidado alli." Or, to steal a bit from George Lopez, "Sabes que tia? I went to the store to buy those zapatos that I liked, pero estaban gone! Todo! Estaban todo sold out!
Listening to that on the radio cracks me up! :LOL:

Signs can be fun too!

2462736032_063e4cf996.jpg
3308541628_eb89202b83.jpg

I like the signs or notices that say different things in English and Spanish or scolding warnings written only in Spanish. At the local mexican restaurant, the bill says "No Incluye Propina" in bold lettering on the receipt just below the total, but nowhere does it say "Does not include tip". This restaurant serves 95% English speaking people I would say. Tipping is much less in Mexico and sometimes not required especially where service is relatively simple. So I guess that is why they make it clear to the Spanish speaking customers that tip isn't included.

There there's the inflatable jumping house they had at a community festival in our neighborhood park. Probably 50-60% of the kids are native Spanish speakers. In English the sign said "Be Careful". In Spanish it said "Be careful. No flipping or acrobatics. Do not climb the walls." Why the additional warning required for the spanish-only speakers? :)

What does burrito mean to Spaniards? Little donkey/burro? :)
That´s it. But if you ask a Spaniard if he wants to eat a burrito the chances are 1. He´ll think you are kidding him. 2. he´ll be baffled. 3. he´ll have a vague idea that it´s some sort of Mexican food, which by the way isn´t too popular around here.

Plus, after generations of being surrounded by English speaking culture, a lot of Hispanics who grew up in Spanish speaking households use a lot of slang words that aren't in any Spanish-to-English dictionary. Around here people parque el troque rather than estaciona la camioneta, we go to eat lonche and not almuerzo, and our floors are covered with a carpeta rather than an alfombre.

You are absolutely right.

Absolutely. Adding to that, if they have Hispanic features they are not necessarily Hispanic. The color of my eyes, hair and dark skin tone causes some people to immediately start speaking to me in Spanish.

I know some Spanish, but when it comes to my work at the police department, I let someone else handle that responsibility.

Listening to that on the radio cracks me up! :LOL:
Your avatar certainly belies your looks...!

Any one up to a Tex-Mex quiz?

1. Here's a typical greeting you'll never figure out from using el diccionario:
Que onda buey?
2. What city is known as "San Quimas" (Phonetic, unsure on spelling).
3. Which city is called "El Chuco"?
4. What is La Feria
5. Who/What is La Placa
6. What is a cuete?

Una Negra Modelo to the first to guess it's correct translation. You have to come get it in person though.

negra+model

Back
Top Bottom