Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Ex-Coastie Plans to Live to 100
Old 06-25-2007, 01:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ex-Coastie Plans to Live to 100

I plan to live to 100. That's my plan and I am sticking to it. So far the plan is working well. My wife intends to live to 105. My parents are in their 90s and my in-laws are in their late 80s and they are still living independently at home. Presently we are 62 and 54. I retired from my civilian federal job when I turned 62. I also retired from the Coast Guard reserve at 60. Had 2 tours of active duty from 1966 to 1974, went into the reserves and was called back to active duty for 9/11. My wife retires at the end of this week from 32 years as a registered nurse. We went through many very lean years in the beginning which taught us to be very frugal (cheap) and not take on debt. We have maxed our IRAs, TSP, and 403(b) along with other taxable investments whereby we now have about 2M. My military and civilian pensions are about 35K/yr which is equal to our basic yearly expenses (no fun money). I plan to wait to draw SS at 70, my wife at 62. Since I expect her to outlive me, she could draw my higher allotment upon my death. If SS is still around in it's present form, our combined SS would amount to an additional 40K/yr. My problem may sound strange, but I need help in learning how to spend for fun and enjoyment while still ensuring that my wife and I will not be concerned about outliving our money.
packrat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This ones easy!

Take your 35k pension, your 40k social security and 2-3% of your $2M a year.

Seems to me that a couple of no debt frugal people could get by on 120-130k a year, inflation adjusted.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
My problem may sound strange, but I need help in learning how to spend for fun and enjoyment while still ensuring that my wife and I will not be concerned about outliving our money.
If you search for the fun & enjoyment then the spending problem will sort itself out.

We're treating it as a "green waste" problem. If it piles up faster than we're using it, we'll give it away. But while your entertainment expenses at age 95 might be fairly modest, I'm sure healthcare spending will take up the slack.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #4

CFB has it right. If your withdrawal rate is low enough you will never run out of funds. The amount that you have available should be spent ... not saved. Now go figure out what your passions are. ... or go ahead and 'buy and try' some. $120K a year is a nice number in todays dollars for some nice experiments. As you near the tail end, you will normally slow down a bit, so your expense will even be lower (except maybe for health expense ... which is an entirely different story). ... You're there. ... Enjoy.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Try some travel to really famous and exotic places. Machu Picchu. Angkor Wat. Easter Island. We've been to the first two, which you can do cheaply or expensively or in-between, and they were great trips. Unforgettable places.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
I plan to live to 100. That's my plan and I am sticking to it. So far the plan is working well. My wife intends to live to 105.
i just think it's interesting that your wife wants 5 years without you.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote