Join Early Retirement Today

Ex-military in Ohio
Old 02-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #1

Ex-military in Ohio

Hi, folks.
I retired the first time from the US Air Force after 21 fun-filled years. Seriously, I had really great assignments and saw a fair bit of the world. But my last assignment was in the Pentagon, where it was 12 hour work days and a 75 minute commute (each way), so I just got tired of not having an actual life. Hung it up and when they took my photo for my retired ID card, the photographer said it was about the biggest grin he had ever seen.

I had no real skills at that point, since I had always been a generalist, but I had often been told I was good at explaining complicated things. Based on that, I decided to try being a technical writer. That was a good decision, and I wrote the documentation for software for a number of years. I always considered that a particularly great career, since nobody ever reads that stuff anyway, so it took most of the pressure off me.

After a number of years doing that, the company where I worked got bought by another company, and about 65% of us got laid off. I was 55, and decided that was a good age to retire.

But "retirement" is a really slippery word. Since then, I have put in at least a few hours a week as an independent, freelance consultant. What's funny is that my consulting is related to the beer business. Beer has always been my hobby, and I got good enough that I'm reasonably well known. Nearly everything I make in this line goes into an independent 401(k), and I show just enough of a profit that the IRS doesn't classify it as a hobby.

It's a great life. I live in southwest Ohio, not far from Cincinnati. Having grown up in Brooklyn, New York, I think this quieter place is just fine, thank you.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome! Do we have you listed in the ASN? (www.alestreetnews.com)
Old 02-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #3

I don't think so, but I have written about beer for Ale Street News in the past, as I have for many publications. I love the beer community. Just as it's hard not to be friendly with a person you're sharing a beer with, it's hard not to like anyone involved in beer and brewing.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. Homebrewer? Dunno how long ago you were in Brooklyn, but I am a past member of the Malted Barley Appreciation Society that used to (and I presume still does) meet monthly in Williamsburg.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #5

Very cool. I left Brooklyn many, many years ago, but still have friends living there, and I'm quite familiar with Brooklyn Brewery. Yes, I'm also a homebrewer. Started doing that more than 20 years ago, and still count it as my favorite hobby.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have been brewing for 17 years. It and cooking are the only hobbies I have managed to hang onto through the years of work constantly squeezing more and more of what used to be me out. Still lots of fun and still new things to try in this hobby after all tis time.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aboard. I'm retired from the USAF and live near Dayton. I grew up near Los Angeles (crowded, hectic, just like Brooklyn) and, like you, we like life in OH just fine.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I don't drink, I have never been to Brooklyn or Ohio, and actually my only military experience was as a Navy wife. I just had to chime in anyway, and welcome you to the Early Retirement Forum!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote