Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Fed worker under FERS; hit my MRA
Old 04-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Fed worker under FERS; hit my MRA

Hello

I'm surprised I hadn't stumbled upon this site sooner but here I am. Looks like a lot of great content here for me to jump into. Hard for me to believe but I finally reached my Minimum Retirement Age (MRA) of 56 recently which means I am now eligible to retire and draw my federal pension. I've played w/ FIRECALC and other retirement calculators and it seems I've got the financial side of retirement covered. I'm still trying to figure out the non-financial aspects of retirement though and expect I'll pull the plug in the next year or so. Hopefully I'll find good ideas and inspiration on this site.
Cheers,

Notch
Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2021, 08:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-22-2021, 10:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on hitting your MRA!!! That's a huge milestone.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:13 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats and feel free to ask away any questions you have.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:28 AM   #5

Thank you for the welcomes and congrats. I find it both exciting and scary to know I can retire. It's good to know that I don't "need" to continue working in order to save enough for retirement. I don't dislike work but the past year of mostly teleworking has shown me that any enjoyment I got out of work came more from the social aspects of interacting with coworkers rather than the work itself. I bought the book "How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free"; I guess it's finally time I read it :-)
Old 05-06-2021, 07:28 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notch View Post
Hello

I'm surprised I hadn't stumbled upon this site sooner but here I am. Looks like a lot of great content here for me to jump into. Hard for me to believe but I finally reached my Minimum Retirement Age (MRA) of 56 recently which means I am now eligible to retire and draw my federal pension. I've played w/ FIRECALC and other retirement calculators and it seems I've got the financial side of retirement covered. I'm still trying to figure out the non-financial aspects of retirement though and expect I'll pull the plug in the next year or so. Hopefully I'll find good ideas and inspiration on this site.
Cheers,

Notch
I'm a Fed also and hit my MRA in March. Submitted my retirement papers yesterday. Final day is September 30. Cannot wait!
jgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:20 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congratulations!
rhrihm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:18 AM   #8

Congrats jgman! I'm very tentatively targeting end of year.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum, and congrats, from another former fed. employee. I retired back in 2010 (CSRS), at age 54.5 (got out a little early under a VERA/early out). Retirement has been great, I have had absolutely no regrets (financial or otherwise). I'm sure folks here will be glad to answer any questions you have about the non-financial aspects of retirement...
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:09 AM   #10

Thanks RAE. There is a rumor that my agency may offer a VERA/VSIP this summer. As for the non financial aspects, this past year has thrown a monkey wrench into the works - I'm now rethinking where I might want to live in retirement and I'll have to see how ongoing restrictions on travel, events, and activities play out.
Wish I was under CSRS but I didn't have that choice. The down side to early retirement under FERS is that my pension does not track inflation until I turn 62 and the FERS Supplement (paid until age 62 to bridge the gap to Social Security and make FERS more akin to CSRS for early retirees) gets phased out if income from another job exceeds some amount (~$25k/yr?). I wasn't planning to retire to another job but I'd consider a part time fun job to keep me busy and engaged with others. I found out that I do not like teleworking and the one aspect I miss about going to work is interacting with my coworkers.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:01 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone know whether you need to apply for the FERS annuity supplement or does it come automatically with your FERS annuity? I am retiring the end of this year from the Federal Govt.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Another federal employee here! I hit my MRA this week, I have already filed my retirement paperwork, and next Friday is my last day. Hit our number some time ago but stayed for the insurance and FERS supplement that kicks in at MRA. Loved my work but burn out is real after 30+ years.

Quote:
Does anyone know whether you need to apply for the FERS annuity supplement or does it come automatically with your FERS annuity? I am retiring the end of this year from the Federal Govt.
You do not need to apply for the supplement it is automatically given to you if you qualify for it. If you get a retirement estimate from HR you should see that number on your estimate sheet if you qualify.
goingtotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2021, 03:29 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

26 years in the Federal Government. retired 9 years ago at 54, (year I turned 55). Took my TSP and rolled in into dividend paying stocks. Never looked back. More money coming in how then when I worked with less expense.

Hit my up with any questions you might have.
mailbagman is offline   Reply With Quote