Join Early Retirement Today

Finally Going to Introduce Myself
Old 05-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #1

Finally Going to Introduce Myself

Well I've already made 33 posts, so I guess it's time I introduced myself.

I'll try to make my history brief.* *Started out my career as a research scientist, but soon got hooked on computers, and switched careers.* Worked for a company writing educational computer games starting in 1982, and have since written everything from pac-man like games to firmware for operating room equipment to scientific image analysis programs.*

Began consulting in 1985, then started selling my own software, starting with a computer program called The Humor Processor -- a DOS program for writing jokes.

I've been selling Responsive Time Logger since about 1993.* Tough sledding for a year or two, but since the Internet caught on, I've been able to compete with the big boys.* I've kept things simple, and instead of hiring employees and doing a lot of advertising, I've worked from home and kept things low key.*

Other interesting events: married born-and-raised Swedish wife in '81, house burned down in Oakland Firestorm, wife had brain tumor but recovered completely.

In 1999 we moved from the rat-race SF Bay Area to small coastal town in very northern California.* *My main hobby is playing jazz trombone, but since the gigs have been drying up (jazz is dying around here, replaced by DJ's and punk rock), have been working on developing my jazz piano.

Age 51 now -- our only daughter will enter college (big $$!) in September.* I think of myself as semi-retired since I'm not developing any new software, just cruising along answering a few tech support calls each day.

So that's me.* Tried to make it interesting without blowing my own horn too much.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Finally Going to Introduce Myself
Old 05-01-2005, 07:26 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Al,

You go right ahead and blow your horn. Your music is beautiful. Welcome to the community.

LovesLife
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:42 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Al: Welcome to the board. I have been enjoying your posts so far. I was living in Walnut Creek at the time of the Oakland fire, but my aunt and cousin lived in Berkeley Hills close to the Claremont. Their house was not harmed but I remember that Sunday very well....couldn't reach them, etc.

Sounds like you've build yourself a pretty cool "retirement". Probably sweeter with your wife's recovery.

Kay
Old 05-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, T-Al! Your life experiences sound like a fantastic addition to the board. I'm sorry to hear Jazz is dying in SF, our best friends live in the area and play some really freaky jazz and do recording as their side business. That is a great pic!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Al,

How is life in a remote coastal area? Is it very close to Oregon? Do you miss the life style of a metropolitan city?

Spanky
Old 05-02-2005, 07:16 AM   #6

Yes, we're about 1.5 hours from Oregon, driving wise. Don't miss the city life at all. I highly recommend small town life.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

Great to have another active musician on the board. Creating music is such an important part of my life, and I'm so looking forward to more time to devote to improving my chops after ER in about a year.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:21 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

If you want to make money playing jazz, come on down to Easy Street in NOLA. Uncle Mick and I will chip in at least $5 each if you are worth a damn.
polloloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think you have a better chance of seeing God play you a little jazz than getting five bucks out of unclemick
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Jackson Square - have your wife bring some home made Swedish pastry - maybe 4.50 not five bucks. Well maybe 5 - if the pastry is good. Cardomum - is my favorite spice.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

unclemick, I could almost believe you are a poet (or quoting one) with that last post. It rolls off the tongue like a beatnick spoken word session. yeah baby, with the saxaphones breathing in the background..
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:39 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

unclemick is a "poet" . In fact, he could be our "poet
laureate" if this forum had one.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:01 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

"poet" I doubt that.

But a good horn man - can literally 'fill his hat' with tourist and local's money in Jackson Square, The Riverwalk, etc. The competition is tough though.

And Swedish pastry would be a change up from Beignets in Cafe Du Mond.

Seeing a Jazz Funeral is a once in a lifetime experience. Think the opening to the 1973 Bond movie(Roger Moore).
Old 05-03-2005, 07:27 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
"

And Swedish pastry would be a change up from Beignets in Cafe Du Mond.

Swedish Rolls

1 1/4 cup butter
4 cups milk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water with 3 packages dry yeast, dissolved
1 1/3 cup sugar
13 cups flour
3 teaspoons cardamom
extra butter, softened
cinnamon and sugar
1 egg
coarse sugar

Heat milk until skin forms. Add butter, sugar, and salt. Let mixture cool. Add 3 eggs and water, stir. Stir in flour and cardamom, knead until smooth and elastic. Cover with cloth and put in a warm place until double in size. Punch down, let rest for 8 to 10 minutes. Then roll dough to 12x14 inch in size, spread dough with softened butter and then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Fold dough in half lengthwise (to 6x14"), with the cinnamon in the center. Cut into 1/2" strips, twist dough (it will look like a rope). Then roll up into a circle while twisting; tucking ends underneath and sealing edges. Put on a greased cookie sheet and let rise before baking. Preheat oven to 350F. Beat one egg and brush on top of rolls with a pastry brush. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Recipe can be halved.

There is nothing like the smell of cardomom bread. ummmm

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:49 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Martha.