Financial / Investment Book Addict

naniamo

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi,I'm new here.Live in Santa Cruz area.Just want to get my thoughts and ideas out there.I feel I can be a very good help on this forum,specifically when it comes to investing and money management.Not trying to make any arrogant claims and cannot boast about some extreme tract record.However I have spent many a weekend studying or just plain reading investment books.listening to audio books on the way to work,and on the way home.I have kept myself current on the markets by listening to CNBC on XM radio and now they even have an AM radio station with several investing programs.This has been going on in my life for probably 15+ years.The online trading academy has contacted me regarding a seminar,I promptyly talked my way out of it by informing them of excessive trading costs associated with that type of strategy.However for some people lots of trading could work for them.I'm aware of the fact there are many tolerences for risk out there,I also realize giving out investing advice can back fire on you I experienced that in the dot com boom.I have refined my knowledge base since that time and have a vast well to dip from.

That last line was intended as "well of knowledge" not money.Still working towards a well of money.

Welcome! And don't read too many of those things... they've been proven to cause cancer*

*if you smoke them, while also being fat.

Hi,I'm new here.Live in Santa Cruz area.Just want to get my thoughts and ideas out there.I feel I can be a very good help on this forum,specifically when it comes to investing and money management.Not trying to make any arrogant claims and cannot boast about some extreme tract record.However I have spent many a weekend studying or just plain reading investment books.listening to audio books on the way to work,and on the way home.I have kept myself current on the markets by listening to CNBC on XM radio and now they even have an AM radio station with several investing programs.This has been going on in my life for probably 15+ years.The online trading academy has contacted me regarding a seminar,I promptyly talked my way out of it by informing them of excessive trading costs associated with that type of strategy.However for some people lots of trading could work for them.I'm aware of the fact there are many tolerences for risk out there,I also realize giving out investing advice can back fire on you I experienced that in the dot com boom.I have refined my knowledge base since that time and have a vast well to dip from.
Oh! Still my beating heart!

Ha

Welcome. Stick around and contribute to the financial discussions as they come up.

I agree :LOL: ...

Now we have a resource to help out all the dummy's on this forum :facepalm: ...

(sorry - just could not resist...)

I just wish I could find a source for variable annuities......

I just wish I could find a source for variable annuities......
:ROFLMAO:

Don't ask me (even though I'm an "annuity shill" :D); just kidding - if you have followed my posts on annunities, you know where I'm coming from...

I agree :LOL: ...

Now we have a resource to help out all the dummy's on this forum :facepalm: ...

(sorry - just could not resist...)

More opinions are [-]usually[/-] [-]generally[/-] always welcome [-]sometimes[/-]!

Here's a pretty good list of books to tackle after you have gone thru the one's you already have read. After that, read them again, you'll pick up even more info that way.

The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing - Taylor Larimore, Mel Lindauer, Michael LeBoeuf
Bogleheads :: View topic - Books

Wow there is alot of these I have not read.impressive list, currently reading Wisdom on Value Investing by Gabriel Wisdom.

Don't read books. Don't follow the market - watch football instead perhaps fish in off season. DCA into a life cycle fund and when the time comes retire. Cut expenses to fit a 4% withdrawal rate.

Do your day job and have fun.

heh heh heh - Did I listen? Nope. If you are male resistance is probably futile - it's a hormone thing. Welcome to the forum. :D :greetings10:

mickeyd said:
Here's a pretty good list of books to tackle after you have gone thru the one's you already have read. After that, read them again, you'll pick up even more info that way.

[*]

Bogleheads :: View topic - Books

Thanks for the list. I've read many of them and look forward to the rest. Invaluable info as I move slowly out of real estate( too slowly,lol ) and into the " markets".

Welcome. I'm new myself. Don't worry, I've already gotten a few rolly eyes and face palms. It sort of like the pen where the old cons have the run of the prison. lol. I'm a dentist, not retired( by choice)and hopefully can continue for a long while. Look forward to your input.

Welcome. I'm new myself. Don't worry, I've already gotten a few rolly eyes and face palms. It sort of like the pen where the old cons have the run of the prison. lol. I'm a dentist, not retired( by choice)and hopefully can continue for a long while. Look forward to your input.
You mean like the movie where the new prisoner comes on the cellblock of nearly 15,000 convicts, most of them serving life sentences, and tells them how it's gonna be?

Or bringing a couple of bags of books to the local library and saying "Here, this should fix up your ragged catalog!"

I'm not averse to new information. I'd just like to make proper use of the older information as well.

Well,if your still working by choice then that means you COULD retire if you wanted.I personally cannot. a) I have to complete 25 years in my trade and be 55 yrs old,to collect from their "plan".which is currently at 64% attrition.b) still haven't managed to get completely out of debt.I could sell some equities and probably do it but I've got time to pay it down very soon...So there we go get up every morning at 5:00 am for another 10 or so years...

About 20 years ago, I used to watch CNBC from the time I got up until I went to work every day (during exercise, shower, breakfast). I read WSJ daily and FT & ID often, watched Rukeyser every Fri night and read Barron's every Sat, subscribed to at least 4 investing mags and read a lot of books (I was a huge Peter Lynch fan). I did well investing and I knew more than anyone else I knew about investing, and I could convince you if you [-]had the misfortune to[/-] ask me back then - again, about 20 years ago. All I can say in my defense is, I did not volunteer advice, nor did I ever give specific recommendations to family or friends.

All that learning and effort was worthwhile, even invaluable, but...

Now I skeptically watch CNBC less than once a week and subscribe to no periodicals. My bookshelf looks a lot like the Boglehead reading list, I gave away all the Lynch books - not that they were necessarily bad. And my investing results are every bit as good as my active trading equity days, a much larger net worth, with about 5% of the effort. I've gained a lot of humility since I was younger and [-]thought I[/-] knew everything too. Welcome [-]grasshopper[/-]...

I can't say that I was any where near as avid with my study/reading/listening as you but I spent a lot of time with it the past few years. However, I got tired of it absorbing all my free time along with the fear that I might MISS SOMETHING! I became more of a Bogglehead and, just recently, paid a fee only advisor to provide me with an asset allocation plan which turned out to be very conservative (we're nearing retirement). Most of what she was recommending were index funds so I would have been pretty close on my own but I don't have to bear the total responsibility now of how things play out. I would rather do other things with my life but am very interested in making sure we can afford the rest of our lives! ;) If that's how you like spending your days, ENJOY and best of luck!

I thought the Four Pillars of Investing was the most valuable book I ever read, and fortunately it made financial life a lot simpler for me. Ever notice how these financial "experts" along with websites and newspapers are brilliant in assessing the stock market movement....after the fact?
"Markets were down amid concerns about [fill in the blank]." Or, of course when market goes up they have a similar explanation. In both scenarios, though, there is plenty of news that would have explained market going in another direction.
I'll stick with Index Funds and use my leisure time to have fun.

naniamo said:
Well,if your still working by choice then that means you COULD retire if you wanted.I personally cannot. a) I have to complete 25 years in my trade and be 55 yrs old,to collect from their "plan".which is currently at 64% attrition.b) still haven't managed to get completely out of debt.I could sell some equities and probably do it but I've got time to pay it down very soon...So there we go get up every morning at 5:00 am for another 10 or so years...

Just put in 25 years myself. And my wife, who is a RN also just put in 25. We both love our jobs and enjoy helping our kids with college expenses. So I would guess we will both go another 10, God willing. We invested mostly in Real estate and are transitioning out. There is a lot of really good investment advice on here which is why I joined. Sounds like you have a plan to eliminate your debt by the time 55 kicks in. Good luck, it will bring a real sense of freedom.

Nords said:
You mean like the movie where the new prisoner comes on the cellblock of nearly 15,000 convicts, most of them serving life sentences, and tells them how it's gonna be?

Or bringing a couple of bags of books to the local library and saying "Here, this should fix up your ragged catalog!"

I'm not averse to new information. I'd just like to make proper use of the older information as well.

Wow, amazing how two people can read the same post and interpret it totally differently. What I heard was Hello, how can I help you?

You mean like the movie where the new prisoner comes on the cellblock of nearly 15,000 convicts, most of them serving life sentences, and tells them how it's gonna be?............

Wow, amazing how two people can read the same post and interpret it totally differently. What I heard was Hello, how can I help you?

Or like the guy with 11 posts telling the guy with 21,000 how to interpret a new poster's intentions.

travelover said:
Or like the guy with 11 posts telling the guy with 21,000 how to interpret a new poster's intentions.

I said we interpreted it differently. Yes, I have only a few posts. So tell me, when does the paranoia kick in? 1000?

I said we interpreted it differently. Yes, I have only a few posts. So tell me, when does the paranoia kick in? 1000?

The lucky ones show it on their first post.

Back
Top Bottom