Join Early Retirement Today

Financial Planning & Tracking
Old 01-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Financial Planning & Tracking

Hi,
I am new to the site. My cousin recommended I join, and I always listen to cousins!

I am looking for a new financial planning and tracking software package. I converted to a Mac, and find that Quicken for Mac is not nearly as robust as the Windows version.

I'd love follow a discussion that addresses pros & cons of apps such as Moneydance, iBank, See Finance, etc.

Can anyone help?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Regarding tracking, I find Mint to be the easiest. I see every spending transaction and deposit into our checking accounts on my smart phone. Plus it provides downloadable transactions and comparisons to budget.

Regarding planning, Fidelity and Vanguard both have very good planners on their websites, if you are a client. I suggest those in the beginning. We are near the trigger pull date and are going to do Roth rollovers, so more precise tax calculation is needed for us. The best we've found is ESPlanner Plus, which we bought. Well worth it.
ImThinkin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

About Q for Mac....

I've been using Q for Windows for decades and besides being familiar with it, it has all those records (that admittedly are no longer important other than looking up to see..."when did we go to ___ or buy ____?" I used Mac for 7 years and have been using VM Fusion to run Windows and Q. Use W for nothing else, and don't like that Fusion/W hogs a lot of resources, especially if doing photo work. Anyway....

They had a sale in Dec and reviews said that finally Q for M would translate the old Q files for W. Cool. Bought it thinking I'd get out of running the VM/W that means updates every few years. Bear in mind I no longer use it for financial, only book keeping of checking and charge accounts.

Got the DVD, and spent 6 hours trying to get it to take my Q/W files. Said my Q/W no longer supported, needed to get updated export patch to do it (really? its 2011 Q/W!!!). After 6 hours I gave up and sent back for refund. Thought about just starting over with Q/M and forgetting the history....it just was too much of a hassle. So any of you wanting to try what I did be aware it is not likely to be a fun pleasant experience, although some of you IT geeks may enjoy it and succeed!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been a Mint user for quite some time but just tried Personal Capital and I really like it. Each has its shortcomings but seems that the Personal Capital has more of what I'm looking for. Right now I use both as they compliment each other.
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use Moneydance, Personal Capital, and CNNMoney Portfolio but there an abundance of alternatives:

Personal Finance Software Review 2015 | Best Personal Accounting Software | Personal Finances - TopTenREVIEWS

Or perhaps this will help:

A Comparison of Ace Money and Quicken - Finance.Answers.com
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdixies View Post
I'd love follow a discussion that addresses pros & cons of apps such as Moneydance, iBank, See Finance, etc.
I believe all of those have free trial versions you can download and try out.

Personally, I like and use Moneydance, but iBank has gotten much better than it used to be. Not familiar with See Finance, so I can't comment on it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for all the input! I'll look into a couple of the new-to-me applications (such as Mint, etc), and definitely investigate the recommended sites for comparisons. As a retired "systems guy" I'm loathe to download a bunch of free stuff and clutter things up. I'll certainly try before I buy when I've made a [tentative] decision -- and I'll report back on the results.

Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

For budgeting and tracking expenses I use You Need a New Budget. For that purpose, I far prefer this to Quicken.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Custom excel spreadsheet/multitabs that I created that tracks expenses, assets, tax planning and what if parameters for mixes of asset class drawdowns and Roth conversions, age, ss benefits, automatic RMD calculations via lookup tables.

(former engineer....)
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Custom excel spreadsheet/multitabs that I created that tracks expenses, assets, tax planning and what if parameters for mixes of asset class drawdowns and Roth conversions, age, ss benefits, automatic RMD calculations via lookup tables. (former engineer....)
+1. My approach as well
Old 01-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #11

About Moneydance.

It was somewhat great before it got bought out.

Then: A great checkbook manager, mediocre budget manager, marginal reports, with an active Community base allowing interchange between users and support staff.

Now: A great checkbook manager, mediocre to poor budget manager, marginal reports, with a limited community - you write in with your problem, you get an answer from support staff, no user commentary. Absolutely unacceptable implementation of new versions.

MoneyDance is currently releasing it's 2015 version. Users who bought the 2014 version can get the upgrade without charge. The issue is the newest version is not fully functioning and should have been left in testing until the major features were working. It's not a bad program, just not well supported. If you need strong budget management and flexible reporting, I'd suggest a spreadsheet to get accurate results.

And wait until mid-year before downloading!

Disappointed,

Rita
Old 01-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #12

Personal Capital. I just ignore the FA who calls me once a quarter, and I really like the software and expense tracking. Like Mint, only with better investment functionality IMO. (I've used both).
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We've used Quicken ever since MYM was no longer supported. We have had it on the Mac, then a PC and back onto the Mac. Converting all the old stuff falls to DH, he likes to do all that stuff. I just ask if we are poor and go over the MONTHLY net worth statements and budget sheets I am provided. May not be the best but the old dog isn't willing to use anything else.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
About Moneydance.
What she said... every word.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
+1. My approach as well

+2

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Custom excel spreadsheet/multitabs that I created that tracks expenses, assets, tax planning and what if parameters for mixes of asset class drawdowns and Roth conversions, age, ss benefits, automatic RMD calculations via lookup tables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
+1. My approach as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub View Post
+2
+3. I also use Personal Capital to automate the collection of balances and analyze the portfolio at a level of detail that I can't do efficiently with Excel (AA, sectors, efficient frontier). I also use it to categorize and analyze spending at the transaction level, with only a monthly summary by category going to Excel.

Tags
finance, ibank, moneydance, software