finish line inches away

wintergolf

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello all,
I am 55 1/2 years old so some may not think I am retiring very early. I have worked 32 years in a very unpleasant industrial plant. I have a few weeks vacation I am taking and do not plan on returning to the plant.
Two things have made this possible
1. A spouse with a good job ( pension, family benefits 70% paid for)
2. We saved as much as we could and still had fun.

Portfolio value about $900000 (half tax deferred)
67% equities 33% bonds/short term. All in low cost Vanguard funds.
Home paid for, worth about $250000 according to Zillow.
Combined pensions will be about $66000 at age 55.
SS will be $1250 for me, zero for wife (gov pension)
Kids grown.
No debt.

I am thinking of working part time if I can find something enjoyable.

Looking forward to reading many posts on this forum. Very interesting.

Welcome Wintergolf. Hope you will enjoy the forum. Looks like you've been lurking for a while, so you already know you can find all kinds of good information here. Glad you were able to have fun along the way to ER, and still save a bundle.

Good luck to you. We look forward to your posts and ER adventures!

R

Sounds great. Your savings and benefits all but close the deal. Throw in the pensions and it's a slam dunk.

What pursuits are you looking forward to as a man of leisure?

I am not retired yet, but welcome aboard. Looks like as solid a plan as any I've seen. That in itself has to be rewarding, good for you (really)...

wintergolf;641234 I am thinking of working part time if I can find something enjoyable. [/quote said:
Wintergolf: Don't forget, there's also Springgolf, Summergolf, Fallgolf.

"Left-arm straight, right elbow tucked at impact, and grip it and rip it.":cool:

Thanks all

Thanks to all and glad to be aboard.

You are right Rambler, I have been lurking and enjoying these forums.

Rich, your question about my plans is the hard one . I have to figure that out. Not used to so much freedom yet.

Thanks Midpack, it's just sinking in what we have accomplished.

Jarhead, I am familiar with those seasons you mention as my wife could tell you.

Rachael, A young college grad reading this forum will be light years ahead of most of your friends. I wish I had found this kind of information before I made some investing mistakes along the way. ( Thinking of an annuity I bought when I young). another forum site you might want to check out that has good information is Bogleheads Investment Forum at

Bogleheads :: Index

Thanks again to all.

Back
Top Bottom