Fire in Brazil

FIRE2016

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello,

I just discovered this forum some days ago, looking for early retirement strategies and plans.

I am 46 years old, DW is 47, no children. We come from Germany but we are living in Brazil for more than 10 years now. I am not really sure yet where we want to spend our retirement years, if possible in both (take both, summer in Brazil and then summer in Europe :D).

Besides that, we love to travel, road-trips in the US (this year we did NV-AZ-UT and it was great!). But I can also imagine to spend some weeks or months in an RV and (re-)discover Europe.

I follow up our spending since some years already, our investment is mainly in stocks( ~60%) and bonds (~40%) but not really aligned with any ER strategy.

The main reason why I am looking for ER is to have more time for our travel activities. Instead of taking 3 weeks once a year I would love to travel something like 3 weeks two or three times a year.
Of course I would love to have more time for other activities like sports etc but I also enjoy my job, so there is not really a need to go for ER because of work-frustration :LOL:. But I really hate to go on vacation only once each year :angel:.

I also have been thinking about looking for another job with less working hours but somehow I am not willing to work 50% less in time for 80% less in salary and less responsibility. Still looking for that job that gives me 50% less working hours with 50% less salary :cool:.

I most likely could ER right now but with no/not much money left to travel so that is not really an option. I plan to be FIRE ready in 2016 with travel money and then it is time to decide seriously what to do.

Welcome aboard. Being from Germany, I would guess you are in the southern part of Brazil. I lived there for several years a long time ago, so I can easily understand the country's attraction.

Your interest in travel is (I think) one of the main reasons why many people delay their retirement, so it's a good idea.

Hello Braumeister!

I live close to São Paulo, so in the Southeast not really in the South of Brazil.
I love the climate here usually between 10 °C (50 °F) in Winter and 30-35 °C (85-95 °F) in Summer. And blue skies most of the time :).

But as I said before, I cannot imagine sitting at my pool all day long and doing nothing. So I have to work a little longer and gather some money for travel, Jeeping and fun :D!

I only hope I find the right point in time and won't fall into the "one more year" habit. For now I calculate with 3 more years and stepping out on my 50th birthday.

Hi FIRE2016, welcome aboard. Good luck with your plan. You will be retiring just in time for the Olympics, which I'm sure will be lots of fun.

Back
Top Bottom