Join Early Retirement Today

Firecalc question
Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Firecalc question

I'm trying to run Firecalc and compare it to a RE model my FP ran. My FP's model has me spending $133k per year. But my actual withdrawls average less than that because I'm getting SS, etc

Now I go to Firecalc. It says to enter spending on the 1st page. I run the model and then look at the output. I see howeber that the $133k in spending that I entered is actually called "withdrawls" on the output. So is firecalc actually withdrawing $133k per year?

Mike
bulbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Administrator

FIRECaalc will withdraw your spending after subtraction for Social Security and any other income or pension. Did you enter your SS info?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

No I did not enter SS info.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Click through the tabs to enter Pension, Social Security, and portfolio (asset allocation) information before you run it
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I did all that, but it's still calling the "spending" number I entered "withdrawls" on the output. So is it really withdrawing that amount? I wish I could see the yearly calculations it does.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Enter the $133k on the first tab. On the Other Income/Spending tab you insert the SS estimates. As it says on that tab -

FIRECalc will first use any Social Security, pensions, or other adjustments that you enter below, and then take whatever else is needed to make up this amount from your portfolio at the start of each year.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, I did that Fish. What has me confused is that on the output, it says:

Withdrawals 133,000

The 133,000 is actually my spending, not withdrawals. So if it's actually withdrawing that amount each year, then it's wrong.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbar View Post
So if it's actually withdrawing that amount each year, then it's wrong.
It isn't...and no, it isn't.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Withdrawals 133,000

The 133,000 is actually my spending, not withdrawals. So if it's actually withdrawing that amount each year, then it's wrong.
Another way to check this is to subtract your SS from the 133K and enter that amount into Firecalc as your withdrawal, and don't enter SS into Firecalc at all.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Withdrawals 133,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It isn't...and no, it isn't.
It isn't (actually withdrawing that amount)... but yes, it is (wrong - at least the display).

I just did $1M portfolio, $40,000 spend. Run, then click the 'Display input data' and it shows:
Withdrawals 40,000
Now add $40,000 in SS starting this year, and it still shows:
Withdrawals 40,000
It appears to calculate properly, but it still lists $40,000 in withdrawals, and it is confusing. In the SS case, the WD is net zero with the SS, but it does not make that clear with a 'net' amount in the data listing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks ERD. they should fix that. but at least the model is working correctly. Is there no way to see the cash flow output? I know everyone says firecalc works, but I'd sure like to compare it's output to my own models.