Join Early Retirement Today

FIRE'd 2 months before my 47th birthday woot :-)
Old 05-12-2015, 12:10 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

After some itchy feet and early signs of onset of one more year syndrome I gave my notice in yesterday and quit being a wage slave for good.

I'd been FI for a while but somehow couldn't make the jump to RE. Then a minor motorcycle accident which resulted in a broken wrist and minor op gave me the time to check my sums and priorities. In the end I just figured this was always my plan why not jump? Funny how something unpleasant turned out to be the final boot needed to quit. A retention bonus (gotta love the irony) that boosted my funds a little didn't hurt either, unlike the wrist which does ;-)

Final exit date TBC but hoping to escape before my 1 month notice period, looking forward to living life on my own terms.
daveneedstoknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 01:45 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! I gave notice a couple of weeks ago and my last day will be June 15th, five months and 1 day before my 47th birthday. Still not 100% sure if this is real FIRE for me -- might be a semi-FIRE situation or just a sabbatical, depending on what my DH decides to do over the next year or two (he is not ready to keep working yet). But we are FI on paper, and I'll be working hard to convince him we should both FIRE.

Good luck working as little as possible during your notice period. I decided to take my own surgery last week as an opportunity to take some of my PTO before my last day. Enjoying having most of this week off.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats to you both!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 especially on FIREing before 50. Do either of you have any words of wisdom to the 3- and 40 somethings lurking on this forum? How did you do it?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats and welcome to the club! :-)

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats on making the early retirement jump. I am in the OMY club....

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations and I will read with interest your advice for the other 30- and 40-somethings looking to do similar.
TallTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats. I feel joy each time I read a new FIRE post!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 especially on FIREing before 50. Do either of you have any words of wisdom to the 3- and 40 somethings lurking on this forum? How did you do it?
1) Avoid debt like the plague. Neither of us had school loans, we've never taken a loan for a car, and I have only paid consumer interest twice in my life -- once on credit card bills I incurred right at the end of my BA period (before my graduate scholarships started) to attend my best friend's wedding out of state, and once when I forgot to set up automatic payment on a credit card. We have had mortgages but the leverage we got in rapidly appreciating markets (NYC and Beijing) made those "good" debt. (see more details in point 4 below)

2) Live below your means. DH and I met in grad school and didn't start our professional careers/salaries until 1999. We tried not to let lifestyle creep affect us too much, especially in the early years of working FT. Bought less house than we could "afford" (essentially kept our mortgage levels to what we could pay on one salary), aligned spending with values (ala Your Money or Your Life), and made strategic use of retirement and college savings options. We have made roughly 100-150k between us over the past 15 years. Used to save 30-50% of that, on average. Savings rate dropped dramatically a couple of years ago when we bit the bullet and put the kids in proper, expensive international schools (to the tune of $60k+ out of pocket/year). But we were able to make that choice because we had a huge asset base built up already, and our long term investments have continued to grow nicely so even though we aren't saving as much anymore I think we are set for the long term.

3) Invest regularly, and as much as you can. Actually we weren't as good about this as we could have been. There were a few periods when we kept an extremely large cash stash because we were waiting to purchase property and/or didn't know what would be happening income wise (I left a job about 8 years ago without something else lined up, and we cut way back on retirement savings during that period).

4) Get lucky with real estate. This has been a huge factor for us. We bought a lovely co-op in Queens in 2000 for 120k that we sold for $280k in 2003. We kept the proceeds in liquid form, because we eventually wanted to buy a house in China, from 2003-2009 -- but at least during most of that period we were getting 4-5% interest on it in high yield savings accounts. Then in 2009 we managed to purchase a condo in Beijing at the absolute bottom of the market. We paid mostly cash, taking out a mortgage for around $290k. In US$. Smart move, as our payment has stayed steady in dollar terms at around $1880/month, while the dollar has depreciated and the apartment has skyrocketed in value (worth more than 3 times what we paid currently, and that is after a drop in the past year). DH gets a housing allowance that covers about 1/3 of the monthly payment. We get another $150 or so a month from renting out our two parking spaces. At this point what we pay out of pocket is all going to principal. True FIRE awaits the sale of the apartment, which will set us up for life. But even if it dropped in value by 50%, we would still be FIREable.

5) Buy, don't sell during any economic downturn. This was really key for us. When things started to tank in late 2008, I started tracking our net worth daily and made a promise to myself that we would only buy, not sell, while things were looking bad. That proved to be very, very smart. Not only were we able to use our significant cash stash to snap up our apartment at a bargain basement price, I was able to strategically throw a good bit of the remaining cash into retirement and kids college funds in 2008-10. As the market recovered, those investments appreciated nicely.

I do recognize that we have been very, very lucky. But we have also made some good/smart choices. That is really what it is all about. Learning to wait for the marshmallow. I'm sure glad I did. I've got decades of freedom awaiting me as a result.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations to all the pre-50 FIREs !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats, you beat me. Retired at 49 years 5 months. 16 months now.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Kaufmanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #12
gone traveling

Fired at 45 and 8 months here. Still in surreal mode ...

So... China has been good to you ... Beijing real estate. Good call. You have done well. Smart move -- wish I had bought in 2008!

That said ... I have talked to many neighbors and friends who are rich on paper with Beijing villas and apartments but now find they can't easily sell their places - even right next to the top international schools. It's a strange and difficult market now that local buyers need to adequately account for and prove funds - eg. sources of their money. And when you sell... It can be slow / less than easy to move your cash back out of china. Not impossible but.... Be sure to research this thoroughly and consider doing a dollar-based offshore sale transaction when that time comes.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

So awesome congrats!!!!
Beachgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Fired at 45 and 8 months here. Still in surreal mode ...

So... China has been good to you ... Beijing real estate. Good call. You have done well. Smart move -- wish I had bought in 2008!

That said ... I have talked to many neighbors and friends who are rich on paper with Beijing villas and apartments but now find they can't easily sell their places - even right next to the top international schools. It's a strange and difficult market now that local buyers need to adequately account for and prove funds - eg. sources of their money. And when you sell... It can be slow / less than easy to move your cash back out of china. Not impossible but.... Be sure to research this thoroughly and consider doing a dollar-based offshore sale transaction when that time comes.
Yes, that is hopefully in the cards. We will at the very least target buyers who have existing overseas assets that can be used for the downpayment (one of the reasons we got a good price on our unit is that we were buying from departing expats and paid the deposit directly into their offshore accounts).

Thankfully sales don't seem to have slowed much in our compound. We're just outside the 4th ring road, near a newly opened subway station, and I think demand will stay high in our area. I still get daily calls from property agents asking if we will sell. I would feel better having the cash in hand, though, in any denomination. But DH wants to hang on to the place for at least the next year, since he is staying at least that long. Fingers crossed things turn out well, but if not we'll still be fine.