Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2020, 07:52 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At 26 I was living with my girlfriend (later married) in a condo I just bought working my first job out of school and had a net worth of about 10 grand.

The OP is so far removed from my reality I can offer no advice.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Nothing wrong with you that a few years in the military wouldn't fix...
Old 01-22-2020, 09:21 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you master things quickly and get bored, you need to take on tougher challenges. Consider efforts others have tried and failed at, or things deemed impossible. Find a cure for cancer, develop a high speed rocket that can carry a camera, or a person, to another star system. Invent a battery that charges in seconds but that can power a car for a thousand miles. There are all sorts of problems thought intractable that take someone like yourself with skill and persistence to solve.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Build an airplane or a boat. Then learn to fly or sail around the world.

You learned to play the guitar, join a band. That's where all the chicks are, right?

Have you tried painting or sculpting?

Racing? Cars, boats, motorcycles, go carts? Extreme sports? Be a race promoter. (I just discovered Thundercat boat racing. It doesn't seem to be in the US yet. Check it out on YouTube.)

How about breaking a Guinness record?

Acting classes? Everybody wants to be a star!

Write a book?

You could be a private eye!

Hike the Appalachian Trail?

How about opening a BBQ joint?

How many kids do you have? Those will keep you busy.

Choose a worthy cause and work towards making the world a better place? Plant trees, help the homeless, help kids, battered women, feed the poor. Teach them how to build homes and feed themselves.

Do you like animals? You can spend a lot of time raising, training, breeding, racing, showing, etc. animals. If you really like animals you could start a zoo.

If you're funny you could try your hand at comedy.

Life's too short to sit around bored.

Oh, and btw, nobody's found Bigfoot yet!
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
26 is too young to retire, you are simply wasting all your potential.

Imagine if Christopher Columbus, or Einstein, or Howard Hughes, or Warren Buffet, or Dr Salk, or Edison had retired at 26 !!

We would all still be in the UK, poor, with polio in the dark
Old 01-23-2020, 05:00 AM   #26

I have two words for you: hobbies and more hobbies. I have so many hobbies now and so many on my bucket list that I am afraid I don't have enough time left in this world to finish the list. There are some excellent introvert hobbies out there but I would encourage you to try something that lets you spend time with other people. At the end of the day, people need people (from the song someone posted recently).

PS: For a start, you can try to eat and live better i.e. grow your food, cook your food and along the way work so hard that you don't have to excursive in a gym!
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:08 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I won’t suggest what you do in terms of time but provide an simplified observation.

Humans are social animals. You may not like certain aspects of being social but if you miss the parts you like, that isolation will cause depression.

You really liked being with your father and you ‘like working with kids’. What is the difference between those cases and people at large?

I’d suggest you spend some of that money on some counseling to understand the social side of you and then invest some time in making friends who you can share your time with.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:43 AM   #28

I can't speak to the question you are really asking, but I have to ask you - do you enough work credits to qualify for SS and Medicare some day? I would at least get the minimum. Sorry to sound like a nag, my personality may be too similar to offer other advice!
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:55 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Do the Get-a-Life exercise from the book "How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free". This "Tree" methodology has been mentioned several times on E-R.org.
CDRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:59 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with an earlier post that teaching in a school setting may be difficult without obtaining a four year degree and education training. However, there a many non-school options to have a positive impact on younger people. Look into opportunities with Junior Achievement and 4-H in your communities.

I was very involved with 4-H as a child, and it always seemed hard for our chapter to find enough adult leaders to teach us about woodworking, small engine repair, cooking, sewing, photography, art, livestock, and crops. I imagine finding adult leaders is nearly impossible today.
Omalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:29 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have to admit that this is my biggest worry in retirement. My DH does not worry about this at all because he is a self-starter and has insane energy. I can definitely see myself doing less then wanting to do less because I'm doing less - then, finally, doing nothing. Having a J-O-B gives you the kick in the pants to keep going. Personally, it can be argued whether people are meant to work and have **something** to do and whether retiring early is even a good thing. My advice would be to find a passion - but continue to push yourself outside your comfort zone. It is easy as an introvert to stay inside - but it is not healthy. My MIL has been retired for 20 years and has become quite a busybody bore and so set in her ways, she cannot adopt modern technology (freaks out when anybody gets on their phone, freaks out when her newspaper is not delivered, etc). My personal goal is not to let myself go that route. I understand it is difficult because once you FIRE, you don't have a boss anymore - but you have to be your own boss and give yourself a swift kick in the pants once in a while!
RobotMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
OP, I think you should strongly consider the possibility that it isn't boredom that's making you depressed, but depression that is making you bored. As long as you have the time, and some money, why not find some psychological/ emotional help, and see what he or she might have to offer you.
37 is not necessarily to young to retire, but it's way to young to be bored.
+1. You’ve cast about looking for purpose, which is smart. But you’ve been unsuccessful. I think it is time to seek some professional help. Your problem might even be something surprisingly simple or biological; you might just be chronically low on iron or need more UV light exposure.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:51 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Fire View Post
Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster! Glad to finally be a participant in this wonderful community.

FIREd @ 26 through a self started small construction business, the profits of which were wholly rolled into income producing real estate during the Great Recession, all the while living very frugally. The timing was impeccable and my story couldn't be duplicated today nearly as easily. The money part of the FIRE equation is solved. Turning 37 this year and realizing I've more or less wasted the last decade of life doing nothing meaningful. I came to realize the motivation for my success was extrinsic, specifically the goal was to make Dad proud. Goal Accomplished! When he passed on 8 years ago, I sort of sat down and said "ok, now what, and why bother.... nobody to celebrate with anymore". The rest of my family is broke, so they don't want to hear about it, and we all know money is taboo and nobody wants to see you succeed or celebrate with you without envy or jealousy. So at this point the boredom is getting intense, to the point of depression. (First world problems here... don't lynch me for my apparent complaints, but consider it all in context. I know it could be much, much worse) It's turned into a constant paradox. Miserable doing nothing, but contemporaneously don't want to do anything. Don't like the cold, so I set sail for the sunny south in the winter only to get even more bored and end up going back to the Frozen Wastelands of the Midwest after about a week. Rinse and repeat several times per season. Bought a house down south to rehab, get there and don't even want to work on it. The grass looks greener until I'm there, then the grass looks greener back in the other location. Not much interest in starting or growing another business unless I can do it alone, because good help is nonexistent. Don't really want a J-O-B. Very little interest in volunteering. I'm an introvert by nature (hardcore INTJ, for those of you who are interested in Myers-Briggs), and becoming more so with each passing day due in part to isolation, so anything involving a bunch of people doesn't sound pleasant. Again, paradoxically, I love educating young people 1-on-1 about the wonderful world of FIRE since our culture of consumers is so woefully undereducated in personal finance, but having attained it myself I'm incredibly dissatisfied. Thought about a y-tube channel or something along those lines to spread the FIRE gospel amongst the youth, but I don't want to get nailed for "giving financial advice" and the material is all out there already anyway.

TL,DR I guess my question for those of you who have happily FIREd at a young age is this: What do you do to fill your days with purpose, fulfillment, and meaning? I don't want to look back when I'm 47 and have this same feeling of having wasted another decade of life without having done something worthy of inclusion in the obituary.

Open to your thoughts, and thank you for the warm welcome!
Just start something like working on the southern place. Take 6 months do it slowly and methodically and enjoy it. I’ve felt exactly as you do but for different reasons, once that project takes hold and you get into it you’re a different person.

Good luck.
SonofCohoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #34

Do you speak any other languages? Would you like to travel? Learn the language of the country you might like to visit. It would open up a whole new world of experiences for you.

Try learning Chinese. They say it's one of the most difficult languages in the world to learn, but it can also be one of the most rewarding. It has well over a billion people to talk with. You can try to learn Russian, Japanese, French, or whatever you wish. There's a whole world out there waiting for you.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #35

The OP mentioned not being interested in volunteering. While that may make sense for them - perhaps too much social interaction for an extreme INTJ - but there are all kinds of volunteering opportunities. Some of them involving lots of social interaction, some of them much less so.

My own Myers Briggs results are INTJ but not extremely so. For instance, I never met a stranger, willing to talk to anyone, but I can overdose on social interaction in a short time. Parties are not my cup of tea so to speak. So in some ways I can relate to the OP on the INTJ spectrum. I suspect many of us on this forum fall into the INTJ spectrum or something similar.

Back to volunteering. If the OP is open to consider volunteering at Habitat for Humanity they may find a good fit. The OP, Blue Collar Fire, has construction skills and Habitat certainly needs volunteers in their mission to build decent, affordable homes. We've found you can volunteer at Habitat and find tasks to perform with relatively small doses of social interaction. There's no doubt that interaction is required, but once the tasks are defined for the day, the volunteer can choose projects that can be performed solo.

Another version of Habitat is the RV Care-A-Vanner program which allows RV owners to travel to hundreds of projects around the country to help with construction. It's a way cool means of travel with a purpose. Here's the link to RV CAV:

https://www.habitat.org/volunteer/tr...care-a-vanners

Blue Collar Fire, take a few minutes to watch the video on that web page, then scroll down and click on Find a Scheduled Build. I hope you'll like what you see.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:53 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

What kind of shape are you in? Spend the next two months(or 14 months if needed) and get in good shape then start on the Appalachian Trail in late March. That will take care of pretty much an entire year. If you like it then you could do the Pacific Crest Trail, John Muir Trail and others. That would take up a lot of time and be a great adventure. Most people don't get the opportunity to do those trails in their 30's or early 40's because they are stuck at work. I was planning to section hike the Appalachian Trail then I broke my hip at age 37 then had to have a hip replacement at age 38 and now I can't walk more than about 30 minutes at a time. Do it while you can because you never know when you no longer will be able to.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:57 AM   #37

I didn't get disillusioned with work/career until ~mid forties. When I was 26, I was excited about my career and looking forward to work. Makes me think of an athlete, Gronk, for instance. Think of his attitude when he started out. Now look at his attitude. I think you have to live through the pain to appreciate the freedom.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a friend that is a semi-retired building contractor. Has done very big commercial projects and a ton of residential work. His biggest frustrations over the years were getting/keeping reliable help. Now, he lives in a shore area and does handyman work on his own. Tons of maintenance needed on shore houses...and lazy people with money to burn! So, he does an occasional bathroom or kitchen reno but mostly he's replacing siding, painting, cleaning out gutters, etc. He's happy as can be. It's all word of mouth. The phone rings and if he gets any sense that the client will be difficult, he says he's too busy. Just another possibility for you.
Ready2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Fire View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you shared (big surprise!) The thirst for and pursuit of knowledge for INTJs is ever present and as necessary as the air we breathe. I've fallen into the habit of spending an inordinate amount of time on YouTube in the past few years, both to gain knowledge and to pass the time. So far, I've learned how to drive a semi (passed the class A CDL test), proficiently operate a long reach excavator, how to climb and prune or cut down large trees like a pro Climbing Arborist, how to haft axes, play guitar, and a few other odds and ends. It's wonderful to add to an already diverse skillset, but ultimately, we INTJs need to exercise our "Te" function and get those skills out into the world. As you have probably experienced, once we master a new skill, we quickly become bored and move on. That's happened. I've taken jobs driving big trucks, cutting trees, and running excavators, but quickly got tired of having a j-o-b and more or less stopped doing it. Additionally, since a lot of my interests revolve around being and working outside, I'm shut down half the year due to winter in the Midwest. Hence the interest in FL. Don't really want to run a business anymore, so I guess the answer is to head south where it's warm year round and do it all for free. Ends up racking up expenses with no revenue to offset the costs, but something to do I suppose. Just grasping for straws and thinking out loud. Finding a new mountain to climb seems to be a moving target... Thank you for your input, it's spot on.
Te is an interesting thing. We organize by verbalizing, sometimes that's in writing -- looking deeper down that rabbit hole, since you know of the function stacks... our tertiary function is Introverted Feelings, which is likely where that desire to teach and share your knowledge in helpful ways comes from. It makes you feel good, to be of use to someone who aligns with your moral sense of the world. That's the whole stack combined Ni (grabbing data, seeing all the variables and having a sense of eventualities) with Te (organizing it into action) and Fi (developing a moral sense of the world around you... of how best to apply your complex awareness of the world into an efficient system that can benefit others, or humanity as a whole)

It seems that as INTJs age, we become softer (or rather, we stop being so logically organized, and contained within this wall of presumption about how the world behaves around us - build on a narrow set of experiences and extrapolated into a sense that is likely somewhat right, yet lacking in experience: younger INTJs are about the most close minded people about just how open minded we think we are... I'll admit I was, and probably still am in some regard)... this is because the more experiences we have, and the other skills we develop the more useful we become in the world. We start to look for outlets to help others with this knowledge. We become driven by that. That's Fi at work... finding a cause, people who can benefit from your wealth of experience and knowledge... is the key to jumping out of that boredom cycle. We love to master new things, so we can feel great later about cycling back to those ideas and using them (problem solving) in real world applications.

Teaching is a great outlet for this, so is innovation... tinkering and playing with machines and toys, as you've been doing. Coincidentally I just bought a tractor, I have no idea how to use one, but I'm sure I'll be an expert in no time
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #40

Because you are clearly very smart and very skilled and very practical, my suggestion is to give a go at inventing. Inventing with a specific purpose, say, surgical devices or robotics or recreational equipment. My presumption is that this kind of activity would allow both purpose and autonomy, and not be overly j*b-like.

If there is a makerspace near you, you could start by checking that scene out. (I suggest that as a baby step -- I think it would feel too "hobby-like" for you for the long term.)
Out-to-Lunch is online now   Reply With Quote