FIRED and depressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had some serious bouts of medically defined depression over my life. The OP should at least speak with a professional to get a third party view of what's going on. It could be an actual medical condition, instead of an existential crisis.

Great point and advice!

Is that like a double negative, which actually means the opposite?

What that means is that it is empty and meaningless that it is empty and meaningless. Meaning, don't put a meaning to the meaninglessness of life. Don't go around saying, "Oh, life is meaningless so what's the point?!" It is just meaningless. That is all. There is no inherent meaning to anything. People live. People die. People suffer. People have joy. Inherently, there is no meaning to it all. However, as meaning making machines, we can't help it. We will make meaning and give meaning to things. If that is the case, why not take control of the machine to be the creator of the meanings we want to give to life, instead of as a default mechanism. Look around you. Life is glorious! Consciousness is a gift. Go and play! That meaning as I make it up works for me.

What that means is that it is empty and meaningless that it is empty and meaningless. Meaning, don't put a meaning to the meaninglessness of life. Don't go around saying, "Oh, life is meaningless so what's the point?!" It is just meaningless. That is all. There is no inherent meaning to anything. People live. People die. People suffer. People have joy. Inherently, there is no meaning to it all. However, as meaning making machines, we can't help it. We will make meaning and give meaning to things. If that is the case, why not take control of the machine to be the creator of the meanings we want to give to life, instead of as a default mechanism. Look around you. Life is glorious! Consciousness is a gift. Go and play! That meaning as I make it up works for me.

As a student of metaphysics I get it, but it's a long way down the rabbit hole. It's turtles all the way down.

Indeed it is.

From rockpapercynic.com:

2011-11-25.jpg

Three suggestions: coach a team, study Buddhism, get a puppy. Really helps to focus on external happiness. Sitting in a chair with young pup next to me was incredibly satisfying.

Have to see a doctor first, though. Biology is unforgiving.

I'm hoping the OP took all of our advice to heart and is currently having the time of his life! :)

Troll

But he brought out all the 'helpful' responses such as:
- read atheist philosophers
- play with cats
- avoid religion at all costs

Perhaps seeking therapy is in order assuming this is real.

I think my favorite so far was the life is meaningless yet life is glorious comments all in the same post.

Norm? Norm Crosby? Is that you?

Norm Crosby was before my time (I immigrated here as a young adult). So, I looked up on Youtube, and I have to say "not quite". Norm was a master at malapropism. The post REWahoo responded to was something different.

I think my favorite so far was the life is meaningless yet life is glorious comments all in the same post.

Quote from Werner Erhard, one of the masters of Transformation and the originator of est, which then became the Landmark forum. By the way, I would highly recommend the Landmark forum to anyone.

"The way est happened was very simple. I had this transformational experience. I had a transformation. Whoever I had been up until that point, I no longer was. And it was on my way to work, and I happened to be – not anything significant about being on the Golden Gate Bridge – but I happened to be there, and that’s when I had the realization that what my life was about was really meaningless. It was empty. And this realization that the things that I thought were so significant, like looking good and winning – just the normal things that I guess most people think are important – that they really had no importance, that it was all empty and meaningless. When I broke through the sadness, broke through the sense of despair at having wasted my life, I all of a sudden realized, “My God, I’m free.” What – free – what does that mean to be free? Free to choose, free to create a life that was worth living. So I took a day with my staff – shared with them the best I could something that would allow them to create for themselves the kind of transformational experience that I had had. And we all decided, okay, we’ll do this. Instead of selling books, we’ll do this." -Werner Erhard, 2005, from Transformation: The Life and Legacy of Werner Erhard

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...

I wonder if the OP, Bogaigh, was the "hypothetical friend" that Eyesman described in the only thread that he started in 2013. In other words, Bogaigh and Eyesman "know" each other? And it appears that Bogaigh did quit his easy job, and is now bored.

See: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/what-would-you-do-64693.html#post1273838

You can wonder all you want. The main reason I'm responding to this thread is because of the OP's discovery of his life being meaningless. However, with his discovery comes despair and sadness. This resonated with me because when I discovered that my life was meaningless, I was left with freedom to do what I want to do instead of worrying about what I supposed to do.

By the way, hypothetical man is still working almost 4 years later. He is still having fun with work, so he keeps plugging along. Perhaps 3 more years, but it's all gravy now. He no longer works because he has to. He works because he chooses to. Thanks for remembering. That was a very helpful post for me and I do revisit that thread and reread the many generous words of advice I received.

Last edited by a moderator:
Troll

But he brought out all the 'helpful' responses such as:
- read atheist philosophers
- play with cats
- avoid religion at all costs

Perhaps seeking therapy is in order assuming this is real.

I hope we're both wrong but I got halfway through #1 post and thought the same thing.

Depression may strike any person regardless of your employment status. Sometimes you can deal with it by changing your life style, reviewing /changing priorities, may be going back to full or part time work etc. Yet if it does not work, it is better to look for a professional help.

I hope we're both wrong but I got halfway through #1 post and thought the same thing.
I never really think about trolls. But I hate when a very personally oriented thread is started and then the poster never returns. That is why if I make a comment, it is usually short. My last comment on this thread unless the original poster chooses to reply.

Last edited:
I thought maybe troll at [-]C-level retirement and[/-] (eta: OP did not say this--oops) tens of millions but live in the same 3/2 house, but I don't mind having responded--even trolls can suffer devastating depression. If he gets help he can live to troll another thread!

Last edited:
Even if he trolled, this is still a fun thread and does not cause anybody any aggravation. No? Yes?

By the way, be sure to check out the past thread referenced in my post #60 above.

I find the knowledge that life is meaningless to be very comforting. Really takes the stress out of it.

I thought maybe troll at C-level retirement and tens of millions but live in the same 3/2 house, but I don't mind having responded--even trolls can suffer devastating depression. If he gets help he can live to troll another thread!

The tens of millions part of the original post made me think troll also. Combine that with no more activity from OP and he/she may be off finding entertainment elsewhere.

Me too, but it's a helpful thread because, troll or not, some of us can identify.

What I find meaningful in all the meaninglessness is "my people".

For me, it's easy to spend a few long seconds per special person before I get out of bed, being grateful for having them in my life. Not saying the relationships are perfect, but just appreciating what good there is. And it's easy to spend a few short seconds being grateful for random people that pop into my head. It's kind of like loving kindness meditation, but without the bit of mysticism. Puts the day on nice trajectory, even though I've "forgotten" that couple of minutes of thought before I'm done brushing my teeth.

Last edited:
Yes, I like this thread because of all the responses.

Definitely the reason I hang out here besides a college forum.

I FIRED in 2013 at age 46. I have a wife and two daughters age 10 and 13. I have more than enough money by any calculation (tens of millions).

That's what tore it for me. Anybody who's still walking around and has that kind of money shouldn't be complaining. If they do they should just be slapped. Obviously either a chain yanker or a true mental case

This happens every so often. Troll or not (most likely the former), it takes people's attention from more depressing current issues.

One heck of a diversion, I'll say. Look how popular this thread is.

I have to admit this forum gets more entertaining trolls than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom