Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Forum Protocol Question from New Person
Old 06-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Forum Protocol Question from New Person

Since I am new I have a couple of questions?

If you see comments in an ongoing thread and you want to ask questions - is it alright to ask them in there or should you start a new post?

I do not want to derail a post by going in a different direction or lose the original posters concerns...

I have seen a lot of threads that I know I could add to, but have refrained since I am one of the new people on the block. Is there a protocol that covers this?

In a couple of forums that I have been in (not this type) you were restricted to the New Posters area until you had a certain number of posts, but that does not seem to be the case here. Any advice is appreciated...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Feel free to chime in on any thread if you have a comment or question. Or, if the topic is entirely different, feel free to start another thread. No hard and fast rules when it comes to staying on topic ...
Old 06-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you see comments in an ongoing thread and you want to ask questions - is it alright to ask them in there or should you start a new post? Yes, it's fine. Using the quote function can be helpful also if you're responding to a specific part of a given post.

I do not want to derail a post by going in a different direction or lose the original posters concerns... That's good of you to keep in mind, but unfortunately we wander off track (pretty badly sometimes), so you wouldn't be the first to go off on a tangent. And the thread can usually stay on track.

I have seen a lot of threads that I know I could add to, but have refrained since I am one of the new people on the block. Is there a protocol that covers this? Protocol? We're mostly retirees, we're not big on protocol any more. If you haven't read http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ork&page=rules it might help. In summary - be reasonable, courteous and be careful about straying into politics. There are plenty of other forums for that sort of discussion.

In a couple of forums that I have been in (not this type) you were restricted to the New Posters area until you had a certain number of posts, but that does not seem to be the case here. I thought it took 10 posts before you were unrestricted but I don't remember.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the quick and positive replies. This is a very interesting forum. Wish I had found it back in 2008 when I started this venture...
Old 06-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You can post anywhere (and thank you for posting in Hi I am... to introduce yourself!).

Some of the best threads are those that have been derailed; derailed threads generally get back on course if they haven't already... run their course . Read through some of the longer threads and you can see how the posts go.

I look forward to reading your posts wherever you make them.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you do ask a question of a specific individual, you may or may not get a reply. That could be because the person doesn't want to or they just never bothered to go back to that thread. If it's important to you, a personal message can be used but I wouldn't use that for a snarky comment.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Feel free to chime in on any thread if you have a comment or question. Or, if the topic is entirely different, feel free to start another thread. No hard and fast rules when it comes to staying on topic ...
+1

Sometimes when a comment is extremely off topic to a thread, it can get "lost" in the thread and might not get the number of responses one is hoping to see. So, to avoid that, sometimes I like to start a new thread if my topic is important to me, and if it seems off topic to the existing thread.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
If you do ask a question of a specific individual, you may or may not get a reply. That could be because the person doesn't want to or they just never bothered to go back to that thread. If it's important to you, a personal message can be used but I wouldn't use that for a snarky comment.

Do not worry, I do not ask or make snarky comments... I always try to behave - a little fun sometimes, but never off handed... For me, this forum will be treated with respect and proper decorum at all times...
Old 06-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiretired2008 View Post
Do not worry, I do not ask or make snarky comments... I always try to behave - a little fun sometimes, but never off handed... For me, this forum will be treated with respect and proper decorum at all times...
I make snarky comments on a regular basis and most of them are accidental. I suspect you will eventually get around to making your own -- accidental or not.

See. Sometimes you get your comment answered!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
With apologies to Alice Roosevelt Longworth:

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, have something snarky to say, come sit next to me.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Protocol-Geritol

We don't need no stinking protocol. Can't say about the Geritol
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Mis-interpretation on the word Snarky - for me that meant derogatory and on purpose. In the text world it is easy to appear snarky even when you have no intentions of being so... The on purpose part is what I would avoid... But, after I get to know some one I have been know to throw in a little humor here and there - normally to break tension...
Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Mis-interpretation on the word Snarky - for me that meant derogatory and on purpose. In the text world it is easy to appear snarky even when you have no intentions of being so... The on purpose part is what I would avoid... But, after I get to know some one I have been know to throw in a little humor here and there - normally to break tension...
No misinterpretation, your definition of snarky is fine.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #14

And awayyyy we go!!!

Hello SemiRetired!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
gone traveling

Snarky comments = terms of endearment. I generally limit my snarky comments to the people I like, but they don't always realize or appreciate that
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #16

Hey Semiretired2008, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will enjoy it and the information garnered is priceless. You have a question? Someone will have an answer. The knowledge of the forum members is remarkable and they are all here to help. Again, welcome.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

bacon
Old 06-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
bacon
Thanks for reminding us
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick and positive replies. This is a very interesting forum. Wish I had found it back in 2008 when I started this venture...
And wish I had found it in 1975 when I made my first Keogh and IRA contributions. Oh, I forgot .... there was no Internet then, just a call to my CPA without Caller ID.
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I only read about a quarter of the threads, too, so a PM or an e-mail helps put my attention where someone wants it.

I use the "Thanks" feature for snarky comments... and judging from my "Thanks" page, so do a lot of the rest of you!

I think one of vBulletin's "Ignore Poster" features includes ignoring PMs. The ignored poster can send PMs all they want, and it looks like they're going to the person who's ignoring them, but the PMs never show up in the recipient's IN box. I haven't tested that feature in a few months, so I don't know if it's still in the latest version of vBulletin.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote