Forum Protocol Question from New Person

Semiretired2008

Recycles dryer sheets
Since I am new I have a couple of questions?

If you see comments in an ongoing thread and you want to ask questions - is it alright to ask them in there or should you start a new post?

I do not want to derail a post by going in a different direction or lose the original posters concerns...

I have seen a lot of threads that I know I could add to, but have refrained since I am one of the new people on the block. Is there a protocol that covers this?

In a couple of forums that I have been in (not this type) you were restricted to the New Posters area until you had a certain number of posts, but that does not seem to be the case here. Any advice is appreciated...

Feel free to chime in on any thread if you have a comment or question. Or, if the topic is entirely different, feel free to start another thread. No hard and fast rules when it comes to staying on topic ...

Last edited:
If you see comments in an ongoing thread and you want to ask questions - is it alright to ask them in there or should you start a new post? Yes, it's fine. Using the quote function can be helpful also if you're responding to a specific part of a given post.

I do not want to derail a post by going in a different direction or lose the original posters concerns... That's good of you to keep in mind, but unfortunately we wander off track (pretty badly sometimes), so you wouldn't be the first to go off on a tangent. And the thread can usually stay on track.

I have seen a lot of threads that I know I could add to, but have refrained since I am one of the new people on the block. Is there a protocol that covers this? Protocol? We're mostly retirees, we're not big on protocol any more. If you haven't read http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules it might help. In summary - be reasonable, courteous and be careful about straying into politics. There are plenty of other forums for that sort of discussion.

In a couple of forums that I have been in (not this type) you were restricted to the New Posters area until you had a certain number of posts, but that does not seem to be the case here. I thought it took 10 posts before you were unrestricted but I don't remember.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick and positive replies. This is a very interesting forum. Wish I had found it back in 2008 when I started this venture...

You can post anywhere (and thank you for posting in Hi I am... to introduce yourself!).

Some of the best threads are those that have been derailed; derailed threads generally get back on course if they haven't already... run their course :). Read through some of the longer threads and you can see how the posts go.

I look forward to reading your posts wherever you make them.

If you do ask a question of a specific individual, you may or may not get a reply. That could be because the person doesn't want to or they just never bothered to go back to that thread. If it's important to you, a personal message can be used but I wouldn't use that for a snarky comment.

Feel free to chime in on any thread if you have a comment or question. Or, if the topic is entirely different, feel free to start another thread. No hard and fast rules when it comes to staying on topic ...

+1

Sometimes when a comment is extremely off topic to a thread, it can get "lost" in the thread and might not get the number of responses one is hoping to see. So, to avoid that, sometimes I like to start a new thread if my topic is important to me, and if it seems off topic to the existing thread.

If you do ask a question of a specific individual, you may or may not get a reply. That could be because the person doesn't want to or they just never bothered to go back to that thread. If it's important to you, a personal message can be used but I wouldn't use that for a snarky comment.

Do not worry, I do not ask or make snarky comments... I always try to behave - a little fun sometimes, but never off handed... For me, this forum will be treated with respect and proper decorum at all times...

Do not worry, I do not ask or make snarky comments... I always try to behave - a little fun sometimes, but never off handed... For me, this forum will be treated with respect and proper decorum at all times...
I make snarky comments on a regular basis and most of them are accidental. I suspect you will eventually get around to making your own -- accidental or not.

See. Sometimes you get your comment answered!

With apologies to Alice Roosevelt Longworth:

If you [-]haven't got anything nice to say about anybody,[/-] have something snarky to say, come sit next to me.

Protocol-Geritol

We don't need no stinking protocol. Can't say about the Geritol

Mis-interpretation on the word Snarky - for me that meant derogatory and on purpose. In the text world it is easy to appear snarky even when you have no intentions of being so... The on purpose part is what I would avoid... But, after I get to know some one I have been know to throw in a little humor here and there - normally to break tension...

Mis-interpretation on the word Snarky - for me that meant derogatory and on purpose. In the text world it is easy to appear snarky even when you have no intentions of being so... The on purpose part is what I would avoid... But, after I get to know some one I have been know to throw in a little humor here and there - normally to break tension...
No misinterpretation, your definition of snarky is fine.

Snarky comments = terms of endearment. I generally limit my snarky comments to the people I like, but they don't always realize or appreciate that:D

Hey Semiretired2008, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will enjoy it and the information garnered is priceless. You have a question? Someone will have an answer. The knowledge of the forum members is remarkable and they are all here to help. Again, welcome.

Thanks for the quick and positive replies. This is a very interesting forum. Wish I had found it back in 2008 when I started this venture...
And wish I had found it in 1975 when I made my first Keogh and IRA contributions. Oh, I forgot .... there was no Internet then, just a call to my CPA without Caller ID.

I only read about a quarter of the threads, too, so a PM or an e-mail helps put my attention where someone wants it.

I use the "Thanks" feature for snarky comments... and judging from my "Thanks" page, so do a lot of the rest of you!

I think one of vBulletin's "Ignore Poster" features includes ignoring PMs. The ignored poster can send PMs all they want, and it looks like they're going to the person who's ignoring them, but the PMs never show up in the recipient's IN box. I haven't tested that feature in a few months, so I don't know if it's still in the latest version of vBulletin.

And wish I had found it in 1975 when I made my first Keogh and IRA contributions. Oh, I forgot .... there was no Internet then, just a call to my CPA without Caller ID.

I would say you could get a consensus on that... The Internet has changed the world a lot and it is way different than back in 1975...

Bacon - inside Joke:confused:

Back
Top Bottom