Join Early Retirement Today

Free at last!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Free at last!

Free at last! Thank God Almighty, I am free at last!

Today was the last day of work. I walked out a 7PM a free man. Of course, I have agreed to come back two days next week for free to finish a couple of things I ran out of time for, but I do not mind.

The consulting firm starts on Monday. I have about five jobs already lined up (including three trips to chilly Wyoming in February). If things keep up, I will be busier in semi-retirement than when I was working. Is it work if you are your own boss?
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrat Culture! Seems like you are on the road you want to be on. Just want to make sure you understand the gist of this board - it doesn't really jive with the "if things keep up, I will be busier in semi-retirement" comment. Best of luck to you!
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post

The consulting firm starts on Monday. I have about five jobs already lined up (including three trips to chilly Wyoming in February). If things keep up, I will be busier in semi-retirement than when I was working. Is it work if you are your own boss?
Yes. But if your happy, go for it.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow - 7pm on your final day. I moved my exit interview up to around 11am to
get an early start.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds to me like you are just changing jobs.
Working for yourself usually has people working more hours than when they were working for some one else..The main thing is you are happy ,Good Luck
Old 01-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Wow - 7pm on your final day. I moved my exit interview up to around 11am to
get an early start.
I billed more hours in the past three weeks than I have ever done before, and agreed to come back two days next week to finish up a few things. OTOH, they told me on the last day that my partnership bonus would be paid despite my resignation, so I think I did the right thing.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds to me like you are just changing jobs.
Working for yourself usually has people working more hours than when they were working for some one else..The main thing is you are happy ,Good Luck
Generally I think you are right. I hope things are different for me. I like what I do, but work too much. I have reached the FI part of FIRE, so I do not need to work at all. What I am hoping is that I will be able to limit my workload to the point that I enjoy it. My wife has also quit, and I expect she is going to be able to handle all work that is not billable. Thus, we expect to cut our hours from 45-65/week to 20-30/week per person.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Dont work too hard consulting. You're going to have to do other things like invoicing, collections, taxes, and other business admin tasks that always seem to take more time than they should. I know you said that your wife is going to do most of this, but the more work you do, the more admin work there is. And yes - it is work even if you are your own boss.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote